Super Mario Run demo stations installed in Apple Stores for pre-release play

Posted:
in iPhone
Nintendo's highly-anticipated "Super Mario Run" will be available to all users on Dec. 15, but until then, people anxious to play the game can head to an Apple Store for a few minutes of hands-on time with the title.

"Super Mario Run" was featured alongside the forthcoming Nintendo Switch console on The Jimmy Fallon Show on Wednesday, with an appearance from Nintento U.S. chief Reggie Fils-Aime.

"I feel like Mario was what introduced millions of people to video games and interactive entertainment, and I think that Mario will continue to serve that role," designer and Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto told The Verge. "And I think with Super Mario Run that's exactly what's going to happen."

"Super Mario Run" is an endless runner title with the same graphical style used for Mario for decades, playing similarly to long-term iOS titles "Canabalt" or "Jungle Run." Users tap on the screen to make Mario jump to avoid obstacles, strike objects, and clear gaps.

The longer a user taps, the higher Mario jumps. On-screen items or tiles can reverse Mario's direction, or stop forward progress to allow for precise timing of a jump.

The title also includes a new battle mode called "Toad Rally," where victory is determined by the number of coins you collect, with the "ghost" of your competition visible as you run, and by the number of Toad characters you impress. Progress across all modes is tracked by the number of coins the player has collected, as well as with persistent scorekeeping.

The initial download will be free, and will feature three game modes with limited progress available. The entire title will unlock for $9.99.

"Super Mario Run" debuted at Apple's September iPhone 7 release event. A set of stickers for the iOS 10 version of iMessage was made available shortly after the reveal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Really?!? It's a download next week! A forgotten game in a month or two. Get a life!
    macplusplus
  • Reply 2 of 27
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Seems pretty expensive. I might try the free play but not much chance I would pay for more.
    macplusplus
  • Reply 3 of 27
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    there is nothing now...just a Notify when available button...no limited free gameplay
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 4 of 27
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    When Reggie said "available on" I payed close attention. I'm getting the feeling android is getting the game a lot later or not at all.

"Available on iPhone and iPad", said Reggie.
    As it should be. I'm tired of people thinking iKnockoffs are just as good.
    We need to go back to the iPod days when if a device had a click wheel it was shunned as a cheap ripoff.

Tim Cook's visit to Nintendo headquarters seemed to have been for exclusivity discussions. Not just to play the new Mario. The more exclusivity, the closer we get to people understanding that if it's not an iPhone it's not an iphone.

Ideally Apple would buy Nintendo since they both need each other.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Looking toward this! My sweet spot would have been $4.99 as opposed to $9.99 but Nintendo makes great products and i'll still buy on release. It will be interesting to see how the mobile game landscape changes with Nintendo & Sony dedicated to continued releases. Hopefully it reinvigorates things. I've actually found myself playing less and less games on my iOS devices when compared to 2 years ago. 
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Mark this day on your calendars.

Then come back in a few years, look back and remember this is the day Nintendo turned around after realizing just how much money there is in mobile (especially iOS).

They should have partnered with Apple years ago on mobile by bringing all their franchise games over.
    techprod1gyspliff monkeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27

Then come back in a few years, look back and remember this is the day Nintendo turned around after realizing just how much money there is in mobile (especially iOS).

They should have partnered with Apple years ago on mobile by bringing all their franchise games over.
    Lol wrong. When will you people get that smartphone games cannot possibly replicate true handheld and console gaming?
    edited December 2016 perkedelboltsfan17
  • Reply 8 of 27

Lol wrong. When will you people get that smartphone games cannot possibly replicate true handheld and console gaming?

I'll be here to rub that in your face after I'm proven right. I bet this single title accounts for 10% of their entire revenue stream. One. Single. Game.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    This no doubt will be big. If you cannot pay for a quality game please do not post on this site. Seriously... I agree Nintendo and all its 3rd party games should just port all of the old games over to iOS. I would pay $5.00 for the good ones. If you enjoy gaming it is worth buying the snap on controller for your phone. It works great. Plus the ability to play on ATV. BT controllers work great with this.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I like how people are bitching and whining about $9.99 for a fucking MARIO game. What a spoiled, entitled generation we are. This game looks excellent, will no doubt be polished as all hell, and will provide many, many hrs of entertainment. But hey, it's the price of 2 lattes, OMG SO EXPENSIVE!!
    lkruppsmiffy31ericthehalfbeespliff monkeyretrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    slurpy said:
    I like how people are bitching and whining about $9.99 for a fucking MARIO game. What a spoiled, entitled generation we are. This game looks excellent, will no doubt be polished as all hell, and will provide many, many hrs of entertainment. But hey, it's the price of 2 lattes, OMG SO EXPENSIVE!!
    Negativity is the name of the game these days. Unless you trash everything that comes along you aren’t relevant. 
    smiffy31ericthehalfbeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

I'll be here to rub that in your face after I'm proven right. I bet this single title accounts for 10% of their entire revenue stream. One. Single. Game.
    10%? No way. If you look at Nintendo's revenue stream now, mobile games don't even make a dent. That won't change with the release of a Mario Bros game. 
  • Reply 13 of 27
    @NY1822, that's because your phone isn't an Apple Store :)
    NY1822 said:
    there is nothing now...just a Notify when available button...no limited free gameplay
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Hasn't anyone noticed from the multiple trailers that is NOT an endless runner game just because Mario runs?
  • Reply 15 of 27

10%? No way. If you look at Nintendo's revenue stream now, mobile games don't even make a dent. That won't change with the release of a Mario Bros game. 

Pokemon Go made $600 million in a few months. Candy Crush hit $600 million in about 7 months. Nintendo only made $4.4 billion last year. I don't think you realize how much money there is in mobile games.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator

The occasional hit makes a lot of revenue, Pokemon Go reportedly made over $600 million. Mobile games have limited interaction but the Mario iOS demo looked pretty good (2:10 for gameplay):

Obviously Nintendo has made the Switch, shown in the video, to maintain full controller interaction so they don't want mobile to replace their systems but they may as well get something out of the huge mobile audience and Mario Run looks really polished. The game has 24 levels (first 4 free to play) and launch is December 15th. The video above had one level completed in around 2 minutes so it might be possible to complete the game in under an hour but the original Mario games were quite short too:

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=9387

Here's a complete play-through in 3.5 hours:

Mario Run also has features to compete with other player times and it needs about 3 plays per level to collect all the coins. More collectibles lets you unlock characters and things. I think it will serve as a good example of what a high production value company can do with a mobile-first title and it should generate decent revenue for NIntendo. You can see their revenues over the last few years here, an extra billion here and there is significant enough not to ignore:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/216622/net-sales-of-nintendo-since-2008/

The Apple Store demos are one area where Apple is a good choice for big publishers. Nintendo couldn't do this with other mobile platforms. Microsoft has nowhere near the marketshare and the rest would be phone stores. The Apple Store is like having the game retailers.

With a handful of their biggest franchises, Nintendo could pull in $1-2 billion per year on iOS and it's not an ecosystem that depends on their own hardware so they can boost revenue between product cycles. Their Switch hardware looked pretty smooth in that video above running Tegra, performing close to a PS4/XBO. Mobile hardware performance is not going to be the limitation with gaming, it's the controllers and monetization. That's a slight problem with the PC platform too as developers have to support the primary input first (KB/mouse) and some don't put controller support in and so things like the Steam controller try to address this.

On mobile, a very small portion of people buy the controllers so games companies have no choice but to support the 2-3 simultaneous inputs on touch devices. It's tricky for Apple to fix this because they wouldn't just stick extra buttons on the side of the iPhone and iPad. If you hold an iOS device with both hands in landscape, what's missing is inputs for the fingers. Given that adding buttons is not ideal, they'd have to either allow tap input (but this isn't analog and wouldn't be reliable) or they can do gesture input like LEAP motion. There would be a band running round the outside of the device that detects finger location and movement. This can detect finger presses in an analog way very precisely. The sensor can also be used for other things like detecting which hand you hold the phone in and if your thumb is trying to reach up high so that the UI automatically moves down vs using reachability. It can be used for volume controls, camera controls, music control when the display is off e.g tap one side to skip a track, the other to go back, slide to scrub through and it can detect this through clothing. It can scroll web pages without occluding the view.

Until something like this is added, mobile gaming will be simpler. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as it's a different usage scenario. When you are mobile, it's very hard to become engrossed in a game that you can't just stop playing at any point. Would people play MGS V while sitting at a bus stop for 10 minutes? Immersive games don't fit into a mobile environment in the same way that movies don't. This is why they designed Mario Run to be playable with one hand, the designer said you could play it while holding onto a handle on the bus, while carrying a bag or while eating.

The price is high relative to other mobile titles but it's best for them to start high to allow for sales. They can have a half price sale over Christmas for example. It's easy for them to lower the price but harder to go back up and it doesn't have in-app purchases to make up for it. They could do in-app purchases by having extra levels later though.

Another game that would be good for them to bring to iOS would be Mario Kart. They can do multiplayer transparently where it just sends player location to a server and even if two remote players have the same character, they can map the movement onto another. If one drops out, they revert the game to a computer controlled player. These can even be offset by time so they'd store where the player went and whether they used weapons and if the new player takes them out, it just blends the actions together. This way their AI is essentially human and they can match players to other player skill levels. It wouldn't even need to track data in real-time, just at the start and end of a level.

Donkey Kong is another game they can make in the run style but this is where the gesture inputs would help so you could do rolling and other actions.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 17 of 27
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    There's a gameplay video here showing different levels:

• Reply 18 of 27

Pokemon Go made $600 million in a few months. Candy Crush hit $600 million in about 7 months. Nintendo only made $4.4 billion last year. I don't think you realize how much money there is in mobile games.
    Nintendo actually doesn't make much money off Pokemon Go. The companies making money off that game are Apple and Niantic. Pokemon Go is already fading. They have lost tens of millions of users. The new Mario Bros app game will be popular at first, but it will fade. That's why I think no way one game will account for 10% of revenue for Nintendo. I do realize there is a lot of money in mobile games, but hardware and games for consoles and portable consoles will always be Nintendo's bread and butter. If Nintendo ported over some of their classics or even made Pokemon games on mobile devices, now that would be a different story. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 19 of 27
    If it was an ACTUAL Mario game, I’d be happy for it. Because it would mean that Nintendo actually cares. This is a fucking auto-runner for people even below “casual” video game players to “play”. For heaven’s sake, there’s just nothing here. Would it really be that hard to do a full remake of Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3, and World for the platform?
    macplusplus
  • Reply 20 of 27
    If it was an ACTUAL Mario game, I’d be happy for it. Because it would mean that Nintendo actually cares. This is a fucking auto-runner for people even below “casual” video game players to “play”. For heaven’s sake, there’s just nothing here. Would it really be that hard to do a full remake of Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3, and World for the platform?
    Great point. I have no interest in this game. I don't understand why Nintendo won't release a real Mario game for the Apple TV. My guess is Nintendo won't do it because it would probably cannibalize DS sales. 
    tallest skil