Apple adds ChargePoint EV stations & app links to Maps coverage

Posted:
in iPhone
ChargePoint -- claiming to run the world's biggest network of EV charging stations -- on Thursday announced its addition to Apple Maps, letting Mac and iOS device owners quickly find a station if their electric car is beginning to run low.

Tapping on a station in Maps will offer up more details about the location, such as pricing and/or hours of operation. Significantly, listings also include a link to the ChargePoint app, where people can initiate and pay for charging, and see other information. Apple Pay is a supported payment option.

ChargePoint isn't the only EV network within Apple Maps, though. Charger listings initially began appearing in July, thanks to Apple's deal with Parkopedia.

Apple is rumored to be working on its own electric car, though it could simply end up partnering with an existing auto manufacturer rather than design its own vehicles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Great idea. 
    I hope Apple will also add SuperCharger sites at some point as well. 

You know, for after I win the lottery and can afford a Tesla....
    edited December 2016 holyonejony0
  • Reply 2 of 17
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    lostkiwi said:
    Great idea. 

Funny :D, yeah seems Apple is going all blatant on the Apple car, I'm finding it odd, never has any Apple product in development been so publicized at such early stages, or maybe they trying to make it look like they are really only interested on the car OS, then bammm ;)
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Piecing the puzzle....
    ration al
  • Reply 4 of 17
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm surprised that EV charging stations haven't been POI on all mapping systems for years now. It just seems like an important POI for a driver with an EV that I'd think this would've been included as soon as EV charging stations appeared.
    edited December 2016 lostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 17
    They must have soft launched this because it has been live for weeks at least. The EVgo points are also in there which is great because they have DC Fast chargers at quite a few locations where I live. Blink Network locations are in there too. Has ChargePoint just been MIA? 
  • Reply 6 of 17
    That's interesting, I was just looking for charge point locations last night and was pleasantly surprised to see them in Apple Maps :-)
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 17
    This could be due to the midwest nature of my surroundings but overall the POI in Apple maps has not been overly reliable. Could be that they are really good were most of the population is. I get that. It is nice to see continual improvement of this product. I think they have come a long way and it will only get better.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Now if only they would just team with Plugshare and allow Plugshare to show their data points in Apple Maps proper. That would allow all charge stations/networks (not just Chargepoint) to be displayed.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    lostkiwi said:
    Great idea. 

No real need for that.  Superchargers can only charge Teslas, and their location and status, is highly integrated into the mapping and navigation built-in to the car. 
  • Reply 10 of 17
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    dcgoo said:
    lostkiwi said:
    Great idea. 

No real need for that.  Superchargers can only charge Teslas, and their location and status, is highly integrated into the mapping and navigation built-in to the car. 
    True but Chargepoint has built and installed many Tesla Superchargers so they would also be on the map anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Will this include station status, so an EV driver doesn't have to drive location to location
    only to find that a stall is taken?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    wigby said:
    dcgoo said:
    lostkiwi said:
    Great idea. 

True but Chargepoint has built and installed many Tesla Superchargers so they would also be on the map anyway.
    I don't think that is true.  Tesla Superchargers are all directly owned and operated by Tesla Motors. Their destination chargers (AC limited to 20 KW) are privately owned, although they still can only be used to charge Teslas.  

My point was the general public has no need for knowledge of them, because they cannot be used for anything but a Tesla.  Information on all of them is tightly integrated into the Tesla vehicle itself, so there is nothing to be gained by making it public.  Nothing WRONG with displaying their location, just not useful for anyone that needs to know.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 13 of 17
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    holyone said:
    lostkiwi said:
    Great idea. 

Funny :D, yeah seems Apple is going all blatant on the Apple car, I'm finding it odd, never has any Apple product in development been so publicized at such early stages, or maybe they trying to make it look like they are really only interested on the car OS, then bammm ;)
    Literally impossible to make a car and keep it secret. 
  • Reply 14 of 17
    After reading this article this morning, I checked our local area for such information. We have two charging facilities in our town, a Tessa setup with 8 chargers and a generic public system of 2 chargers. Neither were located on Apple maps. I spent an hour updating those stations and many other missing POI and services. Nice that Apple allows for public input!
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Similar deal: the ChargePoint iOS app shows numerous points in our city of 115,000 here in the Pacific Northwest, but Maps shows only 2.

As I so often find, Maps info is sparse and often unreliable.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    fornadan said:
    Similar deal: the ChargePoint iOS app shows numerous points in our city of 115,000 here in the Pacific Northwest, but Maps shows only 2.

As I so often find, Maps info is sparse and often unreliable.
    The ChargePoint App shows ChargePoint, EVgo, Blink, etc. When you search in Apple Maps for ChargePoint, you only get actual ChargePoint network locations. If you want to see the others, you have to search for them by name or you can search for "EV Charger" and it shows all three.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 17 of 17
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    holyone said:
    lostkiwi said:
    Great idea. 

That's Bamm Apple crashes because Tesla is way out ahead of them.