Apple gives employees a closer look at finishing touches on 'spaceship' Campus 2

Posted:
in General Discussion
With contractors working to finish Apple's new Campus 2 headquarters in time for an early 2017 grand opening, the company has given employees a peek inside the efforts with a series of new photos.

The new photos at Apple's so-called "spaceship" campus were captured in November and sent out this week to employees of the company. French Apple site Mac Generation got their hands on the images, which include a feature of great interest to Cupertino-based workers --?the brand new Caffe Macs employee restaurant at Campus 2.

The dining area for Apple HQ workers is a large atrium spanning the full height of the circular building. Workers can be seen putting stainless steel covers over support beams throughout the open space, each weighing 500 kilograms and measuring 7.6 meters.

Skylights throughout the building bring in natural light, while one roof component was said to be made of carbon fiber.

The images also show a large suction cup array hanging from a crane, allowing the huge curved glass pieces to be installed. The exterior of the outside and inside of the ring-shaped building are glass from floor to ceiling.

Some landscaping work is also in progress, with trees being planted at the site. Still, most of it remains dirt as construction continues ahead of an anticipated opening in the first quarter of 2017.

Apple's up close and personal pics from the construction complement regular drone flyover videos from fans that give a larger aerial view of progress on the facility. The move-in date for employees was delayed in October, but could be completed in time for the company to unveil new iPads at an anticipated March 2017 event.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    And sog will complain that this closer look is taking to many resources away from the failing company and they need to focus on macing a new Mac Pro. 

Beautiful photos. I can't wait to see the video Apple will show us on the making of this beautiful building!
    Solimike1irelandStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    JinTech said:
    And sog will complain that this closer look is taking to many resources away from the failing company and they need to focus on macing a new Mac Pro. 

Beautiful photos. I can't wait to see the video Apple will show us on the making of this beautiful building!
    And why did you write your first line? It is irrelevant.

On your second line - yeah, I agree. The first shot is amazing. I haven't seen a shot from the inside before.
    stanthemancalibdkennedy1002patchythepirate
  • Reply 3 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Duncan Sinfield does the best drone videos of Campus 2.

2) Go to 23 seconds into this trailer.

stompypaxmaniqatedo
  • Reply 4 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Fuc*ing Genius.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    It would be cool to see better footage of the insides. The outside of these buildings look like they're nearing completion. 
  • Reply 6 of 18
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    paxman said:
    JinTech said:

And why did you write your first line? It is irrelevant.

On your second line - yeah, I agree. The first shot is amazing. I haven't seen a shot from the inside before.
    The first line, to stay light hearted during the holidays. 

The second line, amazing indeed. I want to see more interior shots. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 7 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I wouldn't have given a look inside yet myself if I were Cook. No big reason, just would have waited a few months.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Soli said:

Easily. His understanding of the form is more clear.
    stompy
  • Reply 9 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ireland said:
    I wouldn't have given a look inside yet myself if I were Cook. No big reason, just would have waited a few months.
    I'm waiting for iFixit to do a teardown of Campus 2.
    macxpressanomejax44jSnively
  • Reply 10 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Soli said:
    ireland said:
    And then complain because its not user repairable...like anyone really wants to repair their own PC/Mac/Tablet/Phone these days. 
    edited December 2016 SoliStrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 18
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

It'd be nice if they were able to hold their next big product launch in the auditorium. Whenever they do first use it, you know the first half hour at least is going to be taken up with talking about the new building, everything they've done to make it environmentally friendly, and the compulsory video about it with Jony Ive in a white room talking about the design of the curved glass panels.

• Reply 12 of 18
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Soli said:
    ireland said:

I'm guessing it will score quite low for repairability, although probably higher than the 2016 MacBook Pro.

Still, getting it to the Genius Bar is going to be such a bitch.

Soli
  • Reply 13 of 18

Personally, I'm loving my brand new MacBook Pro.  I just wish the bezel was a bit bigger.  (And I wish the cheap USBc cable and adaptors I bought worked reliably.)

The new building is cool too.

ireland
  • Reply 14 of 18
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    JinTech said:

No, it'll be, "too many cranes, not enough vultures..."
    edited December 2016 JinTech
  • Reply 15 of 18
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Soli said:
    Too true, thanks for linking; I was headed to his youtube channel to check it out after the first December video appeared, then forgot to go back. 
  • Reply 16 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I bet it can levitate. ;)
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I am really looking forward to taking a tour of the Spaceship, when/if that opportunity arises. Also the architectural and engineering studies and thesis that will be written will be great reading and ample kindling for a generation of aspiring designers. A real amenity to our culture on many levels. Thanks to those innovators. Such forward thinking and designing has mostly moved offshore, alas!
    macxpress
  • Reply 18 of 18
    apple ][ said:
    apple ][ said:
    slurpy said:
    That's cause you're an even bigger and more hateful troll than sog. 
    You were just calling sog one of the worst and biggest trolls that you've ever seen on the internet in your previous post. So, what does that make me then? The worst ever in the history of the internet? :#
    Hey if the shoe fits ....  LOL
    I do actually take that as a compliment, because people have been trying to get rid of me for many, many years now, to no avail, apparently.

Certain people see me as some sort of threat, and they would like me and my ideas to be completely silenced.
    I like that you have moderated your tone somewhat. Makes it tolerable for almost all.