Apple CEO Tim Cook delivering MIT commencement speech in June

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook has agreed to deliver the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's 2017 commencement address to graduates of the class of 2017 on Friday, June 9.

"Apple stands at the intersection of liberal arts and technology, and we're proud to have many outstanding MIT graduates on our team," said Cook about the commencement speech invitation. "We believe deeply that technology can be a powerful force for good, and I'm looking forward to speaking to the?Class of 2017 as they look ahead to making their own mark on the world."

Apple CEOs are not strangers to commencement addresses. In 2015, Apple's CEO was tapped to deliver George Washington University's address, in Washington D.C. CEO and founder Steve Jobs famously delivered the 2005 Stanford University commencement speech.

"Apple is widely viewed as a company that champions innovation, that seeks creative and inventive solutions to problems across a wide range of domains, and that looks to balance technology with issues of social good," said longstanding Chancellor for Academic Advancement Eric Grimson.?"These are all themes that are of great importance to our graduates, and I am sure his remarks will be an inspiration to them."

Actor and director Matt Damon delivered 2016's address before the graduates of the university.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Good choice MIT. Instead of selecting those political morons, you are better of with techie guy. It fits well with your institution. Remember, Stanford chose Steve Jobs for their commencement address and he inspired millions of future entrepreneurs with deep message, "Stay Hungry".......
    edited December 2016 MacProjony0
  • Reply 2 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    wood1208 said:
    Good choice MIT. Instead of selecting those political morons, you are better of with techie guy. 
    The problem is that the 'techie guy' is too political sometimes.

But I give Apple credit for one thing at least. 

They haven't come out and trashed half of the country yet and half of their US customers, like others have done, such as the extremist pussy CEO of Kelloggs has done. What high morals those sugar pushing pimps must have.

They are going down, and they must be destroyed. Their stock has already begun to fall. Until it reaches zero, the job is not completed yet and nobody should rest.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    sog35 said:
    how many hours will Cook spend on this?

I'd say at least 12 hours, counting travel and prep. Does Cook really have 12 hours to waste on 'non essential' activity when the company is struggling? I don't know.

Apple is certainly not struggling.
    edited December 2016 randominternetpersoncaliSoli
  • Reply 4 of 38
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    It will be like his past speeches, but thinner and with new emojis. 
    randominternetpersoncali
  • Reply 5 of 38
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    sog35 said:

I'd say at least 12 hours, counting travel and prep. Does Cook really have 12 hours to waste on 'non essential' activity when the company is struggling? I don't know.

What if he promises to work extra hard over the Christmas/New Year's break, and make up the time on weekends or something?

I mean, I haven't seen any signs that the company is struggling, but you seem to see it wherever you look. Except when some analyst firm says they must be struggling, then you jump on them for making things up.

I'm not really familiar with the whole "Commencement Speaking" thing you have over there, but as far as I can tell they get notable people to come in and inspire the students. Doesn't it count as public relations work for the company? Getting the brand out there?

randominternetpersoncaliMacPro
  • Reply 6 of 38
    wood1208 said:
    sog35 said:

Apple is certainly not struggling.
    Apple may not be struggling because their phones are keeping them up (at the moment).  Every other products is struggling do to neglect.   So I agree with sog35.  Does Apple really have time for Books, Christmas Trees, Politics, Activism, and now Speeches, when they are selling 3+ year old computers and can't find enough time to make a monitor case.   Yah,  Tim's decisions the last couple of years is not sitting very well with me either.   My only hope is that the iPhone flops sooner than later while there is still a chance to salvage the other products.  If they continue the path they are on, their will be very little else other than iPhone.
    mj web
  • Reply 7 of 38
    apple ][ said:
    wood1208 said:
    Good choice MIT. Instead of selecting those political morons, you are better of with techie guy. 
    The problem is that the 'techie guy' is too political sometimes.

But I give Apple credit for one thing at least. 

They haven't come out and trashed half of the country yet and half of their US customers, like others have done, such as the extremist pussy CEO of Kelloggs has done. What high morals those sugar pushing pimps must have.

They are going down, and they must be destroyed. Their stock has already begun to fall. Until it reaches zero, the job is not completed yet and nobody should rest.
    Does Apple advertise in Breitbart 'News'?
    apple jockey
  • Reply 8 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    No, I don't believe that I've ever seen any Apple ads there.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    sog35 said:

Wow. That's seriously clueless. Do you really think that CEOs of major companies do not do outreach like this?! Make commencement speeches, sit on non-profit boards, take on issues of corporate social responsibility, get involved with politics, make contributions to candidates, etc.?

Let me ask you: What other stocks do you own? Do those CEOs do none of this stuff?
    king editor the graterandominternetpersonrevenantSoli
  • Reply 10 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    sog35 said:
    And the Washington Post got 104% of newspaper profits. That is an empty stat if the overall profits of the sector is going down.

That is not important if smartphone profits as a whole also went down 20%

They got a bigger slice of a shrinking pie. And that is a FACT.

And that 104% stat is based on pure guesses.

The real facts which was reported by Apple:

iPhone sales DOWN 13% YoY
    Profits DOWN 19% YoY

Why the HELL are you ignoring the real facts?
    You're admitting the market shrunk and you admit that Apple took a bigger cut of a smaller market, and it's Apple that's struggling? It's you that's struggling, realize a decent perspective.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I pray Cook announces his retirement to Chairman-OB and appoints a CEO who has a genuine feel for what Apple used to stand for.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Using sog's logic, a major league pitcher with an ERA of 1.05 is "struggling" if he ERA last season (when he won the Cy Young and MVP) was 1.15.  Who cares if he's still an all star and in contention for the MVP this year.  STRUGGLING!!
  • Reply 13 of 38
    apple ][ said:
    No, I don't believe that I've ever seen any Apple ads there.
    So, Kellogg's crime is that they used to advertise in BN, but now don't? For all you know, Apple could well not be advertising there because BN is antithetical to everything that it thinks the company stands for. Why is that OK with you? After all, you still seem to like the company's products. A lot.

I am just trying to understand the consistency, if any, in your thinking.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    But this isn't baseball, its business.   The stock markets react on future potential growth.  If you are having continued negative growth, investors move from your company to one that has positive growth.  You can't just compare Apple to other phone companies, you have to compare them to all companies.  If the new big thing is making plastic marbles and Apple isn't making them, investors move to a company that does make them.  You are naive if you think negative growth is okay to investors just because other companies are having negative growth too

Nobody is saying Apple is doomed and will be shutting down tomorrow.  Right now we are seeing the affects of Tim deciding to put all his eggs in the iPhone basket the past few years.  Its a slow process.  Just now, people are catching on that their other products have been completely neglected.  A lot of damage to their reputation has already occured because of this.  Its still fixable right now if they act quickly but if this neglect continues you can put a fork in their computer division.

apple jockey
  • Reply 15 of 38
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Wall Street and investors overwhelmingly agree Tim Cook has not delivered on Apple's promise or greatness. He has been pigeonholed, rightfully so I believe, in the same league as other poor Silicone Valley fits, such as Jerry Yang, Steve Balmer, and John Chambers. As long as Cook remains CEO, Apple is on its deathbed, IMO!
  • Reply 16 of 38

Fortunately, life isn't all about stock prices.  Success isn't all about stock prices.

If you want to say "From the perspective of an AAPL investor, AAPL has been a poor investment over period X compared to comparison group Z" I'd have to agree with you.  I would be thrilled if my AAPL shares were at $150 instead of $110.

But in terms of real world metrics, if your company has the highest customer satisfaction, routinely rolls out market leading products, makes staggering billions of dollars in profits, "struggling" is an absurd adjective.

Personally I have confidence that Apple has some amazing things in the pipeline that will be released when they are ready.  Cook brown-nosing Wall Street analysts and refusing other public appearances won't change that in the slightest.  And that's what's important to the future of Apple.

Steve Jobs worked with Tim Cook for many year and he believed he was the right person to continue his legacy.  I'm willing to give him at least a few more years before I'm willing to say that Apple has lost its mojo.   

apple jockeyRayz2016ration al
  • Reply 17 of 38
    mj web said:
    Wall Street and investors overwhelmingly agree Tim Cook has not delivered on Apple's promise or greatness. He has been pigeonholed, rightfully so I believe, in the same league as other poor Silicone Valley fits, such as Jerry Yang, Steve Balmer, and John Chambers. As long as Cook remains CEO, Apple is on its deathbed, IMO!

So sell your shares and move on.
    patchythepirateration al
  • Reply 18 of 38
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

You're a fucking idiot, and have made these forums unbearable for a ton of people who can't stand your never-ending word vomit and lies. Start taking your meds. You're going to hurt yourself soon.
    Lies? What lies? Apple is struggling:

1. iPhone sales down 15% from peak
    2. iPad sales down 25% from peak
    3. Mac sales down YoY
    4. Watch sales down YoY
    5. China sales down 30%
    6. Total company sales down 15%
    7. Total company profits down 15%
    8. Stock down 15%

The only thing that has grown above peak the last 4 quarters is Services. And that only makes up about 15% of the company revenue.

So don't tell me Apple isn't struggling right now.

They're not, they're still printing money.
    edited December 2016 randominternetperson
  • Reply 19 of 38
    mj web said:
    Deathbed? Clueless dreck. Fucking absurd, it is. 
    calipatchythepirate
  • Reply 20 of 38
    It could be argued that Apple was played by the PRC. At the time Apple began its serious expansion in China they were feigning an open arms policy to Apple in particular. So Apples assumptions of smooth sailing in China, were warranted. Having put the machine in motion to make a serious play in China, it was only then that the PRC was going to be playing a little underhanded with Apple. By then Apple had made a 'can't turn back' move into,China, and has been trying to play nice and conform to China's cumbersome expectations, regulation and protectionism.

Things will be shaken up by the new Administration. Hopefully a more just relationship we evolve for US commerce in China.

also, to sogs ongoing shit storm on Mr. Cook. Can Tim Cook be held accountable for the problems Apple has faced? To some extent yes, could he do better, yes. But the predominant hurdles, roadblocks and and limitations in Apples forward progress are beyond Apples control.

Here is a partial list of problems that have held Apple back which were substantially outside of their control.
    A.)Chinese never ending movement of the legal, political, consumer sentiment, corporate expectation boundaries. Must be dealt with by Apple but can't tangibly prevent these substantial changes from having an impact.
    B.)the malaise in the Global sentiment, weakened consumer finances, regulatory changes in many nation states, regions and nation blocks.
    C.)Very significant Forex difficulties that cannot be completely rectified.
    D.)of course a downturn in the volume of devices needed by consumers, for various reasons.
    E.) Important elections, power struggles and crises throughout the world.
    F.) and the never ending dint of naysayers  throughout the readable universe looking for Apple to fail.

calipatchythepiraterandominternetpersonMacsplosion