Samsung aims to beat Apple with edge-to-edge display, no home button on Galaxy S8

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    It is not difficult to beat someone to the punch by putting less thought into the work.

Samsung quickly develops a lot of products containing "new" ideas from its engineers and marketing department, but a year or two later has to discard many of those ideas because they provide minimal value to consumers. Apple spends a year or two studying what consumers want and perfecting a product to serve them. Then when it launches, customers are frequently delighted

The time elapsed from an initial idea to a fully realized product is about the same either way, but Samsung's approach involves a lot of waste and disappointed customers, until a desirable innovation emerges. Consequently, Samsung comes across as both innovative and amateurish. Apple makes (nearly) all of its mistakes in the lab, then ultimately launches a product that delights. Apple therefore comes across as less innovative, more conservative.

The biggest difference between these approaches is revealed not in a single innovative product, but in a sequence of products stretching out over many years. The hit-and-miss approach of Samsung is essentially directionless, whereas the conceptual-R&D approach of Apple institutionalizes a mechanism for tackling bigger challenges in the future.
    ai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 70
    People can tell I have the new matte-black iPhone 7 because I have a little white dongle hanging out of it for my wired headphones!  :smiley:

Just a fun comment.  I totally get the vast real-estate saved with that change and the buttonless button.  I'm totally good.

I had the bad 6S battery (never fixed, S/N *not* on the list), so I'm just happy I get all day battery life for my super light use!

Cheers!
    mwhitebaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 70
    I sympathize a bit with sog's position, although the Tim bashing episodes and the frequent suggestions to send "large men" to intimidate Apple's enemies in the media are a bit much.

Sog seems to just be reflecting and projecting what is being pushed around in the media, which is overwhelmingly negative and/or needlessly critical. As an Apple fan, it's incredibly frustrating. Apple seems to be doing more to direct the narrative of itself and it's products in the media, but Apple doesn't seem to be doing nearly enough. People believe what they hear (except for a relatively small fraction of the more loyal Apple fans), and the noise is constantly negative. Just look at the reaction to Apple's Design book for example (which is a beautiful book, I got the big one; did anyone else notice stainless steel Airpods??); people were completely losing their shit over the book, for no reason.

I don't think we should be using Apple's continued, and incredible financial success as the measure of how well it is doing or perceived. Apple has repeatedly said it's not about the money, and I believe them for the most part. So it confuses me why they continue to let the media spin 90% negativity about them, when people should be able to appreciate Apple's integrity and other qualities. It does seem a bit like the executives are sitting content on Mount Olympus, while the rest of us have to wade through the Apple negativity in our day-to-day.
    palomine
  • Reply 44 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ireland said:
    Then there is the issue of volume versus profit and I suspect Samsung and Sog fail to understand which is more important.
    Who cares anymore. I use tech to enjoy myself and be productive, not to follow profit or sales charts. Life's too short!!
    I think that's a bit of a non sequitur ...  but , as I have one hell of a lot of money riding on AAPL I care very much. 
    palomine
  • Reply 45 of 70
    volcan said:

There are several levels involved.  How would you handle this:

I think it is pretty simple. As I recall someone here already wrote a script a couple years ago when TS was on the rampage and it was very effective. It collapsed the comments from the user on your block list, even inside nested comments, and then turned the user's name red and put the word blocked under their name. If you wanted to read it you could reveal it and then re-colapse again as desired. Personally, I have no one blocked. 

The   » show previous quotes below does the job in the OP's post (but not when quoted in this post).  My HTML is not current -- I had a look at the source and couldn't figure it out.

sog35 said:
    T.j.p. said:

sog35 said:
    Thats ridiculous.

So that means the iPhone needs to  have the same basic design for FOUR FRIKEN YEARS IN A ROW!
    The same basic design? It has been the same basic design since 2007. The innovations occur in increments some in the electronics, and some to refine the design. There is no need to continually fix something that isn't broken. And there is a HUGE amount of innovation in the most important part, the eco system the phone lives in. It is greatly under appreciated. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 46 of 70
    macxpress said:

I "think" I speak for quite a few regulars here when I say that I kinda wish AI would adopt different forum software. The current software really doesn't work very well. Its very quirky. One time it does one thing, another time it does something different. Its slow and sometimes double posts (which is why you see A LOT of double posts in threads), etc, etc. Its very frustrating to use sometimes. There are times when I just say the hell with it, its not worth posting now because of something it did (or didn't do)
    I agree!  It works differently on an iPad and is inconsistent on both iPad and Mac.

• Reply 47 of 70
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    volcan said:

I think it is pretty simple. As I recall someone here already wrote a script a couple years ago when TS was on the rampage and it was very effective. It collapsed the comments from the user on your block list, even inside nested comments, and then turned the user's name red and put the word blocked under their name. If you wanted to read it you could reveal it and then re-colapse again as desired. Personally, I have no one blocked. 

The   » show previous quotes below does the job.  My HTML is not current -- I had a look at the source and couldn't figure it out.
    Looking at the HTML source will not reveal anything. The applicable code would be inside a linked JavaScript file which is most likely dynamically rendered by the PHP script. JavaScript is pretty much the only way you can manipulate a webpage that has already been sent to the client's browser.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 48 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    sog35 said:
    I have no idea why so many of you are 'bullying' me.

If you thing I'm a troll look at my post history in late 2014 to mid 2015. My post were 95% positive on Apple and Tim Cook.  Sales was sky rocketing and the iPhone was killing it. I rarely said a negative though about Cook. If I was a real troll I would have never praised Apple so much during that time period. I also praised the Apple Watch when it was released.

But since the release of the 6s it is clear that Cook has underperformed. This cannot be denied! Just look at the facts:

1. iPhone sales down 15%
    2. iPad sales down 25% from peak
    3. Mac sales down YoY
    4. Watch sales down YoY
    5. Stock is down 15% from peak

Now their are numberous excuses one can make. But facts are facts and the last 18 months Apple has been losing sales, profits, marketshare, and investors have lost hundreds of billions in value.
    You're a troll because you repeat the same whiny talking points every time you post. If you think you're helping, you're not just pretending to be low IQ, you are low IQ. I've seen what you post in 2014 and 2015, you're lying about your positivity.

The entire tablet market is down YoY.
    The entire watch market is down YoY. Not just that, Pebble is OUT and Moto is not planning on a new model.
    I could go on, but you're Gish galloping, people will refute what you say but then you'll carry the same refuted talking points to a different thread.
    edited December 2016 ai46Soliicoco3suddenly newtonbrucemcbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 70
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

There are several levels involved.  How would you handle this:

Just eliminating the OP's text (outlined in red) would yield:

sflocal said:
    eightzero said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    SHUT UP!!!
    Please don't feed the troll. Just block and ignore him. Fairly, I do think we need to congratulate sog on his ability to write English so well. Not easy for Korean folks to pick up the nuances of English so convincingly. Could be his samsung handlers have sent him (her?) to some good schools; or even provided him (her?) top notch translators. 
    Blocking SOG does zero on this AI when this miscreant gets quoted all the time by others telling him to shut his pie hole.   I have him blocked and when he opens his mouth, he just contaminates the entire thread.

AI needs to implement a blocking system where not only is the person blocked, but any quotes with his remarks are removed as well.  He's really contaminating threads and I rarely read anything passed the first page now when Sog decides to chime in his crap.  It just goes downhill.  He's contributed to others just giving up and leaving.

Unfortunately, he/she would still be successful in dominating and hijacking the thread...  but a member would be able to avoid the rants.

Of course I can remove his name.  Tell that to the countless posters that don't do it, resulting in the same problem as you so eloquently referred to.  A system should be in place to remove those posts in replies.  I'm an software engineer too and I can come up with some ideas but alas, that's AI's job.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    sflocal said:

Of course I can remove his name.  Tell that to the countless posters that don't do it, resulting in the same problem as you so eloquently referred to.  A system should be in place to remove those posts in replies.  I'm an software engineer too and I can come up with some ideas but alas, that's AI's job.

Agree!

• Reply 51 of 70
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sflocal said:

Agree!

I would try to find that script for you but I can't figure out how to search the forums. Did they take that functionality away?
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 52 of 70
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I don't think sog is a troll.  He has facts and reasonings. 
  • Reply 53 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Going out of your way to avoid opinions you think you don't agree with seems so illiberal, Personally I know I'm not so incredibly informed and learned that I couldn't possibly find benefit from reading someone else's posts even if with some posters it might be infrequent. Why even bother visiting a web blog if you're uncomfortable with contrary opinions or dead-set on not changing any of your beliefs no matter what. I  don't know of a forum site where everyone agrees with everything you might say and no one would ever post something that could challenge your established beliefs. Maybe it's better for some folks to stay in a cocoon of family and close friends who already know what they can and can't say around you.  

I skip past a very few posters on a regular basis, but even the most egregious ones sometimes drops a nugget of info or lays out a line of reasoning that makes me stop and read. Everyone knows something you don't.

Now if some specific poster is constantly attacking you personally or otherwise treating you rudely in an effort to get an angry response (trolling you) maybe blocking them is appropriate. I myself once blocked a particularly disagreeable member here a few years back after months of unreasoned personal attacks. The only one I ever blocked. Not agreeing with someone's posts is hardly reason to IMHO but I get that some folks are more intolerant than others.

Just my .02 cents.

edited December 2016 avon b7baconstang
  • Reply 54 of 70
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    sog35 said:
    I have no idea why so many of you are 'bullying' me.

If you thing I'm a troll look at my post history in late 2014 to mid 2015. My post were 95% positive on Apple and Tim Cook.  Sales was sky rocketing and the iPhone was killing it. I rarely said a negative though about Cook. If I was a real troll I would have never praised Apple so much during that time period. I also praised the Apple Watch when it was released.

But since the release of the 6s it is clear that Cook has underperformed. This cannot be denied! Just look at the facts:

1. iPhone sales down 15%
    2. iPad sales down 25% from peak
    3. Mac sales down YoY
    4. Watch sales down YoY
    5. Stock is down 15% from peak

Now their are numberous excuses one can make. But facts are facts and the last 18 months Apple has been losing sales, profits, marketshare, and investors have lost hundreds of billions in value.
    No one bullied you...your comments are so ridiculously dumb that people have to respond.
    brucemctycho24watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    cali said:
    Sog steals another thread!!
    By my count, Sog made 2 out 42 posts to this thread, and other members quoted him 16 times (including Sog quoting himself).

We gave the thread to Sog -- he didn't need to steal it!

He should run for POTUS, a shoe in (or is that shoo in, I can never figure that out!)
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 56 of 70
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    F- samscum and their perpetual copy machine
  • Reply 57 of 70
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    cali said:
    If true, doesn't this imitation goods manufacturer learn?

rushing a product to beat Apple doesn't work.
    I don't see a problem in Apple's way unless Sog would prefer Samsung's way - at the very least they could brag they designed it first regardless who got a better solution at the end. I have long skip silly media's claim that Apple copied Samsung (whom actually copied from Apple's idea first). Their reason? If there was no physical product, the argument is invalid. What a joke.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy said:
    Going out of your way to avoid opinions you think you don't agree with seems so illiberal, Personally I know I'm not so incredibly informed and learned that I couldn't possibly find benefit from reading someone else's posts even if with some posters it might be infrequent. Why even bother visiting a web blog if you're uncomfortable with contrary opinions or dead-set on not changing any of your beliefs no matter what. I  don't know of a forum site where everyone agrees with everything you might say and no one would ever post something that could challenge your established beliefs. Maybe it's better for some folks to stay in a cocoon of family and close friends who already know what they can and can't say around you.  

I skip past a very few posters on a regular basis, but even the most egregious ones sometimes drops a nugget of info or lays out a line of reasoning that makes me stop and read. Everyone knows something you don't.

Now if some specific poster is constantly attacking you personally or otherwise treating you rudely in an effort to get an angry response (trolling you) maybe blocking them is appropriate. I myself once blocked a particularly disagreeable member here a few years back after months of unreasoned personal attacks. The only one I ever blocked. Not agreeing with someone's posts is hardly reason to IMHO but I get that some folks are more intolerant than others.

Just my .02 cents.

sorry, it's not the difference in opinion that caused him/her to be blocked by many, it's the "world is flat" nature of that opinion. 
  • Reply 59 of 70
    Bring it on!!!  We've all been waiting for a bezeless screen  for years. Makes no difference who has it first, but lets see it already
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 60 of 70
    SAMSUNG's rumors of product features are as credible as Apple.  SAMSUNG may well anticipate Apple's no bezel, no mechnical home button, and drop the "audio port" feature, but I suspect this will not automatically make it a winner.  Like the SAMSUNG water proof that was problematic, etc., SAMSUNG has some serious design, build, supply chain, etc. issues to address if new features are really going to quality and useful [not necessarily the same thing.]

My bet is SAMSUNG will field a diverse set of S8s, that have a mixture of features to claim certain bragging rights, but have some S8s that are more "traditional" and cheaper.  It is unclear whether the various S8s will be sufficiently successful to recover lost ground without substantial discounting and carrier push, therefore, while SAMSUNG may see an improvement in sales over the current S7 period it will be 2018 before it returns to its glory days.

On the other hand, Apple will roll out the features and models in 2017 and 2018 it thinks are useful to customers and maturity of technology.  They are NOT driven to respond or anticipate competitors, this is a suckers bet.  It will be interesting to see how SAMSUNG and others respond to Apple surprises.

In particular, the continuing and growing gap in CPU and GPU performance between Apple and its competitors opens a wide range of capabilities that are either not doable by competitors or if done perform poorly.

2017 products should be interesting in the market.

The one wild card remains the hostility that the Chinese Government has shown to Apple's success and their willingness to preferentially inhibit Apple's progress in this market.  Whether the eco-system, supply chain dominance, technology, or security; as Icahn has determined and so dropped his investment.  This is many ways is beyond Apple to remedy.