Apple 'iPhone 7s' rumored to retain iPhone 7 design, debut without wireless charging

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    mtbnut said:
    zroger73 said:
    mtbnut said:
    Well, looks like I'll be keeping my iPhone 6 yet another year...
    Likewise. I have no current plans to get rid of my two year-old iP6 given that it still works perfectly. The improvements in the 6S and 7 were tempting at first, but it's funny how I can't even recall most of the improvements off hand without looking at this point. I'm waiting for wireless charging.
    Exactly. I know Apple doesn't like to get hung up on the tech specs race; however, if they're selling their products on emotional attachment and how one "feels" about their products, then they're really doing us a disservice by showing everyone a lack of "desire" to move the needle ahead. 

One often hears from Apple devotees that the evolution of the iPhone is one that has been going on since the original iPhone, that they're eventually going to arrive at a design nirvana, where nothing more should be done to what they claim is the Perfect Design. Then it's funny how the antithesis of that argument is used against competitors (Samsung) in patent trials in which Samsung claims their rounded corners and swipe-to-unlock features were organically arrived at as being the logical conclusion to obvious design elements.

Apple wants to have it both ways: We're keeping the same design because we've found it's the near-perfect design. BUT, if our competitors arrive at the same conclusion (which they can't because, well, they're not us!), then they're infringing.  
    Well yes, that's kind of how it works -- if you do the R&D homework and discover what works best, competitors can't just copy it all.
    cornchip
  • Reply 42 of 47
    shard said:

As mature as OLED is, having been in phones from other manufacturers for years, the display factories still cannot provide enough for Apple's needs. Ceramic case? Uh... Remember the sapphire crystal fiasco? How did that work out for Apple by trying to put in something with low yield into their devices?
    My understanding is that ceramic is a mature and solid source for molded and machined shells. With the ability to create endless 'alloys', ceramic would be a interesting exterior for the phone. IMHO
  • Reply 43 of 47
    Apple is looking at actual sales data and making decisions.
    Signs point to the 7 Plus as having been the most popular 5.5" iPhone yet...far more than 6 Plus and 6s Plus. This tells Apple that its possible to sell an iPhone with premium features at a premium price...not just as an option, but as the flagship.

Next year we could very well see the lineup look like:

iPhone 7 (reduced)
    iPhone 7 Plus (reduced)
    ---
    iPhone 7s
    iPhone 8

The iPhone 7s may be a typical "s" improvement over the iPhone 7, remaining with current body style and 4.7" screen.
    The iPhone 8 would a new unique model...large screen in 5-6" screen, with all of the other major design changes and hardware features that have been suggested.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 47
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    no way in hell!
  • Reply 45 of 47
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    shard said:

As mature as OLED is, having been in phones from other manufacturers for years, the display factories still cannot provide enough for Apple's needs. Ceramic case? Uh... Remember the sapphire crystal fiasco? How did that work out for Apple by trying to put in something with low yield into their devices?
    shard said:

My understanding is that ceramic is a mature and solid source for molded and machined shells. With the ability to create endless 'alloys', ceramic would be a interesting exterior for the phone. IMHO
    The watch industry has been using ceramic for watch cases for a few years and it is still very hard to work with. Some colors like black are easier to produce than colors like white but still not at a low enough price point to not affect the price of the iPhone. Perfect example will be the ceramic Apple Watch.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    1_Emkasy1_Emkasy Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Apple iPhone 7S Plus 256Gb