Steve Jobs Will Resign --The Writing is On The Wall

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was just checking out the Merrill Lynch thread, so I downloaded their recommendation which is dated Jan 6 (today) and have come to the conclusion that Steve Jobs will more than likely resign from his post as CEO of Apple.

He will most likely take an interim position while they wait for a replacement. But trying to stay on board Apple as this point is going to spell doom for his reputation, and I think he'll try to pass the buck to someone else. I don't know if this announcement will happen tomorrow, but if stock prices fall to around $10 over the next year as Merrill Lynch suggests, then there will be no reason for him to stay on.

Some of the highlights from the report:
  • We are reinstating coverage with a Sell opinion.

• Although Apple makes great products, in our view the new product pipeline looks skimpy and we expect continued market share losses. A product differentiation strategy is difficult in a business increasingly commoditizing.

• Apple's challenge is to try to find a balance between revenue growth and costs. Despite a relatively high gross margin, Apple is posting operating losses offest by income. We don't thing their retail store strategy will work.

• Our estimates are below consensus. We believe that Apple's December quarter sales should be $1.45 billion, $50 million below the Street consensus, with EPS of $0.02 a penny below consensus. For F2003 our estimate of $0.12 is roughly 50% below consensus.

• We believe that FY2003 consensus earnings estimates could come down near our forecasts, given that in its recently released 10K Apple indicated that interest and other income should decline substantially in F2003, particularly in the second half. Even though Apple's 10K was released in mid-December, the large majority of analysts covering the shares have not yet revised their estimates. With operating income expected to be mostly negative this year, forecasts for Apple turn in positive net income depend entirely on the interest and other income line.

• The stock still looks expensive on P/E or P/S ratios. Although the $11 per share in net cash acts as a buffer, we theoretically could see the stock trading down toward $10 over the next year.

If I were Steve, I'd resign, too, otherwise he'll not only be the savior of Apple, but the guy who f*d it up the second time around.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    Honestly, you are taking Mac/AI trolling to a whole new level.

Nothing to see here.... don't feed... I beg you!
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Steve didnt screw up Apple, he totally, totally saved it. Apple is headed in the right direction. Merril Lynch says this after a load of Apple loving analysts say the stock is in for a jump? Merril Lynch is bunk.

Just another doomsday prediction, I have heard it all before. Do not try to stir up the shit storm the night before a good day. Ass****inghole.

Steve will stay until he dies.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacLuv:

<strong>... trying to stay on board Apple as this point is going to spell doom for his reputation, and I think he'll try to pass the buck to someone else. </strong><hr></blockquote>

True, but I don't think he's going, whatever else Steve may think, he thinks Apple is his company and I think he'll stick with it. If Jobs were to leave, it would signal to investors that things are really bad. Apple lacks a strong culture -- they have teetered this way and that under each successive CEO change -- and are only just getting one now. I don't like Jobs, but if he leaves, that's proably the end as no one at Apple has shown evidence over the last ten years of knowing what to do and when to do it. Jobs gives them that, even if he's wrong about price, they're at least moving in a direction, unfortunately market share keeps moving in the other direction.

Edit, I mean true about passing the buck, CEO's have that habit, they haven't reached that point yet, not in my mind, certainly not in his, and let's face it, anyone who get rid of him is terrified of him.

[ 01-06-2003: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 38
    macluvmacluv Posts: 261member
    BTW-- This may be the only hope of saving Apple and keeping Steve's reputation in tact. Apple's board was rated among the 8 worst by BusinessWeek, and Larry Ellison left the board a while ago after attending less than 75% of all board meeetings.

Obviously Apple doesn't have the CEO it needs right now to pull it out of this corner it's been painted into.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    I don't see steve jobs resigning at all. Thats totally illogical. Steve jobs doesn't like to get put down. he doesn't like to say he can't. And he likes to be challenged. Frankly he is so self centered that he probably views this whole economic turmoil as some major challenge that revovles around him. He wouldn't resign not if his attitude is the same as it always has been.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Macintosh:

<strong>Steve didnt screw up Apple, he totally, totally saved it. Apple is headed in the right direction. Merril Lynch says this after a load of Apple loving analysts say the stock is in for a jump? Merril Lynch is bunk.

Just another doomsday prediction, I have heard it all before. Do not try to stir up the shit storm the night before a good day. Ass****inghole.

Steve will stay until he dies.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dude, you've drunk too much kewlaid. Apple is a company, not a religion.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I wouldn't trust anything ML says. I should know, my "suggested" portfolio has tanked while my personal portfolio (my picks) is (barly) in the green.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    jobs would only leave when he has proven himself. when he can look back and says i saved this company from death and from an incredible economic times.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Not gonna happen. NeXT was his baby. You wouldn't let go of a baby until it's grown up, right? Maybe after the release of Mac OS X 11.5.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>If Jobs were to leave, it would signal to investors that things are really bad. Apple lacks a strong culture -- they have teetered this way and that under each successive CEO change -- and are only just getting one now. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Matsu, this isn't a popularity contest. Steve Jobs leaving wouldn't be a blow to investors but to iFanatics.

As far as Apple lacking a strong "culture"-- Apple's culture is the only thing that has allowed it to survive throughout the years.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Steve has been the best CEO Apple has ever had. Name one that has done better. Name one that could do better today and has the right vision for Apple. Even if you could think of one, that person would probably not want the job.

Steve's not going anywhere.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    I may have gorged on the Coolaid but you have OD'ed on the PCP.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Yeah, I think mebbe culture is the wrong term, or not precise enough at any rate. Corporate culture is a little closer to the mark. Every time they changed leadership over the years they've made huge changes of direction. No clones, Clones, no clones again. Newton, spin-off, killed. Apple 2, affordable, first mac, expensive. Go high-end? Ok, try performa, oh boy! OS classic, replacement? Are we still working on that? Get a load of that BeOS, ahh, let's buy NeXT. OSX. Edu, it's our biggest stronghold, Steve? He talks it up but isn't doing anything to keep it.

It's enough to make your head spin. The culture revolves around the feel and application of the machines themselves, the corporate direction has been all over the friggin place and their marketshare has erroded each and every time a change has taken place, including Steve's tenure (though I do think that's he's made it a lot less than what it might have been)
  • Reply 14 of 38
    It's not often that I reply to threads, but the opinion of Mother Merrill is one that I will speak of. I used to be a financial advisor with ML and know what I speak of.

1) Merrill's research, and that of any firm on the street, will be overly pessimistic on any firm that is considered a risky investment. Being burned by Spitzer and all of the lawsuits brought by investors will make everyone think twice about beating a drum on risky investments.

2) Reinstatement of coverage usually means that the person previously assigned to that stock was let go or left the firm, meaning a new analyst is on board. If I were a new analyst on a risky stock in today's markets, I too would be pessimistic.

3) "skimpy" is not a term I have ever heard a professional analyst use to describe a company

4) Stating that the stock price will fall below its cash value is just plain silly. So all of the patents, millions of customers, all of the software, all of the other intangibles including human resources are worth a negative value? I hope they are kidding.

5) "We don't think their retail strategy will work". Really? What facts back that up?

6)Estimates are below concensus. The $50mill is paltry, the 50% below 03 is way out on a limb.

The only way any of this makes any sort of sense is if ML is trying by opinion to make the stock more interesting as a takeover target. With the net cash on board, the takeover could be financed without any debt. Possible still is that debt at todays rates could be taken and the cash used to finance some other acquisitions or investments.

Dunno, but there is a lot fishy about this.

Oh, and Steve had very little to do with the strategy of moving from cisc to risc eons ago. Even further remember that NeXT went from Mot to Intel so his track record indicates no unwillingness to move processor platforms.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    this is dercted towards "MACLUV".

**** off and die!

if you werent in new zealand i would kick you wimpy little ass!

your ass steve jobs hater.

you are pond scum!

your an evil little troll!

im sick of little nerds like you spewing filth on these boards!

we should nuke you little ****ed up kiwi country~!
  • Reply 15 of 38
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Just a bit of advice never buy or sell stock based on what a company like Merrill Lynch says. They actually never know what they are talking about. They convinced my uncle awhile back to sell his Aflaik (spelling) and buy Intel and guessed what he lost over 100 dollars. Apple stock will go up as long as they can get the PPC970 sometime this year. If they do expect it to go way up by next year.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    ML or any other advisor is not to be trusted, these guys know there are thousands of rabid day traders looking for an angle, you can make 'em pretty much do anything you want with a few choice words. I was talking only about conditions should Steve choose to leave (I don't hink he will, or taht it would be good for Apple)
  • Reply 17 of 38
    someone please lock this thread..please!!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 38
    I definitly agree that Apple's corporate culture has been the worst. But when you look at all the hippies that designed Macintosh in the first place, you can see why it took so long for its corporate infrastructure to learn how to "behave". This is where I see Apple has painted itself into a corner--somehow Apple has always believed that it can go about business differently than everyone else, and it can't. I think this is Steve's naiveté about business--that somehow he could create his own business model that the world hasn't seen before. Unfortunately he seems to be learning the hard way that the world doesn't work in that way. "Oh, sorry guys, we forgot to charge you for iTools. Sometimes I forget we're a business."

I see this more with the addition of the Apple stores, which I really think are going to kill Apple in the long term (read: closings and layoffs). Fixed costs and overhead--what the hell are they thinking?

I think Apple is in a perfect place to be saved again--but not by Steve Jobs. I will give him credit for pointing Apple in the right direction (except the stores, of course) but that's where I draw the line. Apple needs a business-savvy CEO, not a self-proclaimed visionary. Worship Hour is over kids. Wake up.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    I'm sure NewZealand is as upset about MacLuv as Canada is about me. It's a beautiful country, leave it alone. And don't be so hard on Luv, it can't all be roses you know.