Apple tops 200 CarPlay-ready vehicles with 50 more roster entries

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
Thanks to the addition of another 50 models, Apple is now touting over 200 vehicles ready for CarPlay, its automotive platform extending the iPhone interface to dash displays.

The 50 new vehicles on Apple's list include models from Audi, Honda, Maserati, Kia, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, and Volkswagen. Many of these were previously announced by the carmakers, and in fact some of the additions are 2016, 2015, or even 2014 models, reflecting retroactive software updates.

The biggest contributors in the expansion are Suzuki, Kia, and Volkswagen, with 7, 8, and 11 models, respectively.

Apple has been relatively slow to update its CarPlay roster, and in fact some recent announcements -- like the 2017 Jeep Compass -- are conspicuously missing.

The platform still has some distance to go before it becomes commonplace, as most CarPlay support has only come in the past year and a half, and often on more expensive models or trims. Some carmakers have yet to come onboard at all -- most notably Toyota, which has actively veered away from CarPlay in favor of its own technology.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    If you are informed buyer than you would not buy new vehicle without CarPlay/androidauto supported. Typically, we keep new vehicle for at least 10 or more years so why live through everyday torture without such phone connectivity in your car during those years. And where the F* is Toyota on CarPlay.? Pledge with me (25 years of loyal Toyota customer) NOT to buy new Toyota(or other) vehicle unless they put CarPlay connectivity in their new models. With Bluetooth 5 supported in future vehicles(and IOS devices), wireless CarPlay becomes even more important to have in your upcoming new purchase of car.
    edited December 2016 albegarccalidoozydozenkevin kee
  • Reply 2 of 33
    wood1208 said:
    If you are informed buyer than you would not buy new vehicle without CarPlay/androidauto supported. Typically, we keep new vehicle for at least 10 or more years so why live through torture without such phone connectivity in new car during those years. And where the F* is Toyota on Carplay/androidauto.? Pledge with me (25 years of loyal Toyota customer) NOT to buy new Toyota(or other) vehicle unless they put CarPlay connectivity in their new models. With Bluetooth 5 supported in future vehicles(and IOS devices), wireless carplay becomes even more important.
    I will totally take that pledge :smile: 

I am looking to buy a new car in the next 18 months and CarPlay is at the top of the non-negotiable list. Right now the front runner is the Honda Civic...
    albegarccalirtwdoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 33
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    wood1208 said:
    If you are informed buyer than you would not buy new vehicle without CarPlay/androidauto supported. Typically, we keep new vehicle for at least 10 or more years so why live through everyday torture without such phone connectivity in your car during those years. And where the F* is Toyota on CarPlay.? Pledge with me (25 years of loyal Toyota customer) NOT to buy new Toyota(or other) vehicle unless they put CarPlay connectivity in their new models. With Bluetooth 5 supported in future vehicles(and IOS devices), wireless CarPlay becomes even more important to have in your upcoming new purchase of car.
    I second your motion. My first Toyota was a 1981 Corolla station wagon. I bought a new 2013 Tacoma without navigation but the OEM stereo has a touch screen so it might/should work with CarPlay. There's no reason why Toyota couldn't create a firmware update for the stereo. I'm not sure why Toyota hates Apple but it's obvious they do. 
    calidoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 33
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    wood1208 said:
    If you are informed buyer than you would not buy new vehicle without CarPlay/androidauto supported. Typically, we keep new vehicle for at least 10 or more years so why live through torture without such phone connectivity in new car during those years. And where the F* is Toyota on Carplay/androidauto.? Pledge with me (25 years of loyal Toyota customer) NOT to buy new Toyota(or other) vehicle unless they put CarPlay connectivity in their new models. With Bluetooth 5 supported in future vehicles(and IOS devices), wireless carplay becomes even more important.
    I will totally take that pledge :smile: 

I am looking to buy a new car in the next 18 months and CarPlay is at the top of the non-negotiable list. Right now the front runner is the Honda Civic...
    Make that two.  I held off buying Subaru Outback because it did not support CarPlay 
    albegarc
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Many vehicles still have a long way to go as I stated in the past even if they have CarPlay.  One thing I did notice in my new GMC is my iPhone connects automatically for phone and music, SIRI etc...which is a big improvement over my 2012 vehicle.  So there is definitely some huge gains being made although I feel long over due.  Is there a huge issue for car manufacturers that causes them to hold off on CarPlay?  Seems like a no brainer unless Apple Charges an arm and a leg for it...
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Not supporting CarPlay is a huge mistake on Toyota's part. My wife has been a loyal Toyota customer her entire life. In fact she converted me with my most recent car purchase. Now we are in the market for a new Mini-Van and Toyota would have just gotten the sale by default. We would not have even spent our time looking at competitors. Now because of their refusal to support CarPlay we will likely never buy another Toyota. Even if they add it at a later date it will be hard to change our impression of them as a out of touch, dinosaur of company that tried to force their own subpar solution on their customers. 
    calimacxpressalbegarcTomE
  • Reply 7 of 33
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    What is really needed is a simple after market add-on that works. If you need to get a new car, great. To have to pay $20k or more to get Car Play is crazy.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Has CarPlay gotten much better recently? I put one of the Pioneer units in my last car to get CarPlay, but then I recently bought another Subaru without the CarPlay. I honestly don't miss it. I have my iPhone mounted on the dash. I found CarPlay to be slow, buggy, and limited in features. I generally found it cumbersome to use and found myself just picking up the iPhone anyway, which defeats the purpose. I'd be curious to try it again though to see if it's improved.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    kent909 said:
    What is really needed is a simple after market add-on that works. If you need to get a new car, great. To have to pay $20k or more to get Car Play is crazy.
    My current car has a Pioneer AVIC 5000 NEX and it works pretty well. I think I paid $800 for that. Only thing I wish that worked were the steering wheel controls but thats a whole other issue. 
  • Reply 10 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    joe28753 said:
    Has CarPlay gotten much better recently? I put one of the Pioneer units in my last car to get CarPlay, but then I recently bought another Subaru without the CarPlay. I honestly don't miss it. I have my iPhone mounted on the dash. I found CarPlay to be slow, buggy, and limited in features. I generally found it cumbersome to use and found myself just picking up the iPhone anyway, which defeats the purpose. I'd be curious to try it again though to see if it's improved.
    Problem is, Apple doesn't control the hardware.

I feel like Apple's tragedy is to take both first party and third party markets with cars. 

So they'll be both the Windows and Macs of cars. 

• Reply 11 of 33
    sog35 said:
    This is another example of Tim Cook's genius.
    Wow... you're singing a different tune today!
  • Reply 12 of 33
    kent909 said:
    My current car has a Pioneer AVIC 5000 NEX and it works pretty well. I think I paid $800 for that. Only thing I wish that worked were the steering wheel controls but thats a whole other issue. 
    Check out Crutchfield for adapters that connect to steering wheel controls making them available to some/most aftermarket head units. If your Pioneer doesn't work with them, then you might have bought the wrong head unit. (sorry for the cheap reference to a dumb car insurance ad). 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    I found Jesus

"WHY SHOULD I SELL MY SHARES?? IN SIX MONTHS TIM COOK WILL BE FIRED AND THE BOARD WILL PUT JESUS IN CHARGE!"
    edited December 2016 dysamoria
  • Reply 14 of 33
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    I found Jesus
    HALA LU YA !!!

doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    sog35 said:
    He's either back on his meds, or his brand handler told him to tone it down. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 33
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    sog35 said:
    He's either back on his meds, or his brand handler told him to tone it down. 
    Or some one hacked his account and screwing with everyone  :p
    dysamoria
  • Reply 17 of 33
    rtwrtw Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I am with you. Both our cars are Toyotas, but not the next one if there is no CarPlay.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 33
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    After owning 3 Acuras, I sent an email to their customer relations stating that my next car will have CarPlay -- and would not be an NSX.  Right now I am looking at Honda and Volvo, but other CarPlay cars will be considered.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 33
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Impending doomsday headline: 

"Apple's CarPlay in over 200 car models, but there are over 210 car models worldwide. What's wrong with Apple's ability to penetrate the car market?" 
    edited December 2016 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 33
    mtbnut said:
    Impending doomsday headline: 

"Apple's CarPlay in over 200 car models, but there are over 210 car models worldwide. What's wrong with Apple's ability to penetrate the car market?" 
    Companies are afraid of Apple and letting them become a dominate player in their market. Apple has the ability to disrupt any market and the automobile market is no exception. Just like TV, automakers want all the profit even though they don't understand that there are a lot of iPhone users who will change their purchase depending on whether the automobile accepts peripherals like iPhones. I honestly believe Apple doesn't makes much money on CarPlay because they don't need to. They make it primarily on their hardware so what do the automakers have to worry about? 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra