Apple tops 200 CarPlay-ready vehicles with 50 more roster entries

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    wood1208 said:
    If you are informed buyer than you would not buy new vehicle without CarPlay/androidauto supported. Typically, we keep new vehicle for at least 10 or more years so why live through everyday torture without such phone connectivity in your car during those years. And where the F* is Toyota on CarPlay.? Pledge with me (25 years of loyal Toyota customer) NOT to buy new Toyota(or other) vehicle unless they put CarPlay connectivity in their new models. With Bluetooth 5 supported in future vehicles(and IOS devices), wireless CarPlay becomes even more important to have in your upcoming new purchase of car.
    I am very unhappy Toyota not supporting CarPlay too.  But I can understand the reason.  A few years ago Toyota was hit badly by the brake gate. Its CEO has to come in front of congress that it will make sure safety is its number one priority. Toyota is sells a lot of cars.  It cannot afford another safety scandal like the Samsung Note 7.  
    doozydozen
  • Reply 22 of 33
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    tzeshan said:
    wood1208 said:
    If you are informed buyer than you would not buy new vehicle without CarPlay/androidauto supported. Typically, we keep new vehicle for at least 10 or more years so why live through everyday torture without such phone connectivity in your car during those years. And where the F* is Toyota on CarPlay.? Pledge with me (25 years of loyal Toyota customer) NOT to buy new Toyota(or other) vehicle unless they put CarPlay connectivity in their new models. With Bluetooth 5 supported in future vehicles(and IOS devices), wireless CarPlay becomes even more important to have in your upcoming new purchase of car.
    I am very unhappy Toyota not supporting CarPlay too.  But I can understand the reason.  A few years ago Toyota was hit badly by the brake gate. Its CEO has to come in front of congress that it will make sure safety is its number one priority. Toyota is sells a lot of cars.  It cannot afford another safety scandal like the Samsung Note 7.  
    That may be their reason but check out this article from last year, https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/207334-toyota-adopts-ford-applink-to-keep-apple-carplay-android-auto-honest

"Toyota adopts Ford AppLink to keep Apple CarPlay, Android Auto honest"

Of course, why would anyone want anything from Ford, especially software.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Not supporting CarPlay is a huge mistake on Toyota's part. My wife has been a loyal Toyota customer her entire life. In fact she converted me with my most recent car purchase. Now we are in the market for a new Mini-Van and Toyota would have just gotten the sale by default. We would not have even spent our time looking at competitors. Now because of their refusal to support CarPlay we will likely never buy another Toyota. Even if they add it at a later date it will be hard to change our impression of them as a out of touch, dinosaur of company that tried to force their own subpar solution on their customers. 
    I bet Toyota stupidly thought CarPlay and Android Auto would not take off and that every manufacturer would develop their own technology, or use someone else's technology (like Toyota is doing) to do similar things as CarPlay/Android Auto. Of course I don't know for sure, but I believe they totally underestimated the acceptance of CarPlay and Android Auto and are now caught off guard. I wouldn't be surprised within the next couple of model years if they didn't flip flop and start making their infotainment systems compatible with both CarPlay and Android Auto. Its way too important for them not to. I bet most people don't buy cars every 2 or 3 years...they keep for for maybe 5-7 yrs (maybe longer?) unless you're well off and can afford to consistently upgrade your cars every couple of years. So if you fail to get it today, you're stuck with that decision for possibly the next 5-7yrs and depending on how the infotainment system is setup its may not be something you can just rip out the OEM setup and install a 3rd party setup. A lot of OEM setups today rely on their setup for things like HVAC, satellite radio, steering wheel controls, hands free cell, etc, etc. You can't just take that away. 
  • Reply 24 of 33
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    sog35 said:
    This is another example of Tim Cook's genius.
    Wow... you're singing a different tune today!
    He's either back on his meds, or his brand handler told him to tone it down. 
    Psych meds are not a treatment for behavioral issues. All they do is mess with symptoms. 
  • Reply 25 of 33

sog35 said:

Slow and steady and winning.
    Your seemingly overnight 180° shift in attitudes feels creepy and insincere. No real change is accomplished overnight. Find the answers by taking stock of what makes you think and behave as you do, not from some arbitrary mythical being's demands.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Too bad that Mazda doesn't want to use it because of the arrogant support of their own inferior control system (the Mazda 3 I drive cannot remember Bluetooth settings, panics when I have two Bluetooth iPhones, won't show album art via Bluetooth, and is slower than molasses via USB).

And if they do adopt CarPlay, they'll arbitrarily refuse to update older cars with the new software (despite probably not changing the computer hardware enough to require the new hardware in new cars). The addition of computers and software to driver-facing features is a boon for planned obsolescence.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    rob53 said:
    tzeshan said:
    wood1208 said:
    That may be their reason but check out this article from last year, https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/207334-toyota-adopts-ford-applink-to-keep-apple-carplay-android-auto-honest

"Toyota adopts Ford AppLink to keep Apple CarPlay, Android Auto honest"

Of course, why would anyone want anything from Ford, especially software.
    Another possibility is Toyota developer Denso is very inexperienced with high-tech.  Toyota car screens can not display unicode languages.  Toyota cars in US can only display one language either English, Spanish, or French.  This is utter stupid. 
  • Reply 28 of 33
    sog35 said:
    joe28753 said:
    Has CarPlay gotten much better recently? I put one of the Pioneer units in my last car to get CarPlay, but then I recently bought another Subaru without the CarPlay. I honestly don't miss it. I have my iPhone mounted on the dash. I found CarPlay to be slow, buggy, and limited in features. I generally found it cumbersome to use and found myself just picking up the iPhone anyway, which defeats the purpose. I'd be curious to try it again though to see if it's improved.
    Carplay works great for me because of steerling wheel controls.

Can skip 30 seconds on podcast easily.

Also Maps are much better because the screen in my Honda is 7 inches.

I did have some connection issues with carplay but I figured them out by disconnecting bluetooth in the car.
    Honda's implementation of Bluetooth is complete crap, which is likely why you had to disconnect it.  Terrible sound quality of phone calls and constant disconnects of the Bluetooth link with the stereo.  Every car works great because of steering wheel controls.  You don't need CarPlay for that.  Honda's Navigation software, if it is still NavTech, is really good compared to high end vehicles like BMW and Benz, which typically have lousy Navi software.  Apple Maps has improved, but it is still lacking.  Most prefer using Waze over Apple Maps.  That is one thing that Honda got right.  But I am guessing your Honda Civic does not have Navi.  Honda even realized their mistake with their DisplayAudio head units and began restoring the volume knob in some 2017 models, like the CRV.  An all-touch stereo is a mistake while driving.  The Infotainment system in the Nissan Murano and Maxima is very well done and the stereos are incredibly responsive with no lag at all using the touchscreen.  The Navi software is well done with lane designation and 3D buildings in large metropolitan cities.  The large 8" screen is very nice to look at too.  It is too bad Honda still produces lousy sounding stereos, and adding CarPlay is not a benefit when the stereo sounds like crap.  My 2013 Civic was a lemon, so I will never go back to Honda.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    sog35 said:
    holyone said:
    sog35 said:
    Wow... you're singing a different tune today!
    He's either back on his meds, or his brand handler told him to tone it down. 
    Or some one hacked his account and screwing with everyone  :p
    BINGO! Jesus hacked my account
    between the hating of gay Cook's social activism, the extremely vocal dislike for his work at apple, apple itself, and now all the talk of jebus, im going to guess bi-polar. 
  • Reply 30 of 33
    At least someone in Apple should be disappointed with how poorly and slowly CarPlay has been adopted.
    The tech has been out for years and still most new models don't support it.
    Not quite sure how Eddy explains that at his annual performance review...
  • Reply 31 of 33
    rob53 said:
    kent909 said:
    What is really needed is a simple after market add-on that works. If you need to get a new car, great. To have to pay $20k or more to get Car Play is crazy.
    My current car has a Pioneer AVIC 5000 NEX and it works pretty well. I think I paid $800 for that. Only thing I wish that worked were the steering wheel controls but thats a whole other issue. 
    Check out Crutchfield for adapters that connect to steering wheel controls making them available to some/most aftermarket head units. If your Pioneer doesn't work with them, then you might have bought the wrong head unit. (sorry for the cheap reference to a dumb car insurance ad). 
    I have been down that road. I was unsuccessful in install it and so was Best Buy...I am not sure what else to try. :-(
  • Reply 32 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Pretty amazing to read here how important many new buyers feel CarPlay is, that's great to see.  I hope the the hold out car makers are taking notice.  
    watto_cobra