Drum machine documentary '808: The Movie' now available on Apple Music, iTunes preorders start

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Alexander Dunn's documentary "808: The Movie" focusing on the legendary Roland-808 drum machine has been released exclusively on Apple Music, and will be available for download or rent on the iTunes Movie store on Dec. 16.

The TR-808 electronic rhythm composer released in 1980 jumpstarted a music revolution that continues to echo through a variety of genres to this day. From Afrika Bambaataa's "Planet Rock," to rap, R&B and electronica, the 808's drum and bass sounds influenced and inspired music producers for more than three decades.

Demand for the real 808 sound continues to this day: street prices for a used machine can hit upwards of $10,000.

Narrated by Beats 1 DJ Zane Lowe, "808: The Movie" offers a genre-spanning look at the drum machine's origins and how it continues to shape modern musical tastes. Interviews in the film include Afrika Bombaataa, Pharrell Williams, Rick Rubin, Phil Collins, Beastie Boys, Questlove, Lil' Jon, Diplo, Goldie, David Guetta, Richie Hawtin, Felix Da Housecat and more.

Apple Music and iTunes host the soundtrack to the documentary. The film can also be pre-ordered for $16.99 on the iTunes Movies store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    $16.99, why?

$9.99 for a "film" like this makes more sense. Or how about, you know, acquiring Netflix and putting the doc where people care about docs: Netflix
    edited December 2016 calielijahg
  • Reply 2 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Is this an Apple production or something?

I was just wondering why it's being mentioned so much on this site. I mean, plenty of movies get released all of time, and none of them get any mentions.
    retrogustoelijahg
  • Reply 3 of 20
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Sounds good.

I wish Apple created more exclusive content and offered them free on the TV App. It'll bring in more users and entice them to iTunes movies, services etc. Not sure if it makes sense in the long run though.

Strange how Apple VIDEO productions are all arriving on Apple MUSIC while they release the TV App.
    Something's going on....
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 4 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    sog35 said:
    FYI Starwars sold for a mere $4 billion.
    I didn't know that, that sounds pretty cheap for Star Wars, if you are talking about the entire franchise. If that is indeed true, and if I were a billionaire, then I would have rather bought Star Wars instead of Beats, just saying.
    calielijahgjay-t
  • Reply 5 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    apple ][ said:

I was just wondering why it's being mentioned so much on this site. I mean, plenty of movies get released all of time, and none of them get any mentions.
    It's Apple's first foray into filmmaking.
    calipscooter63jay-tlolliver
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    apple ][ said:

"has been released exclusively on Apple Music"
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 20
    sog35 said:
    ireland said:
    $16.99, why?

$9.99 for a "film" like this makes more sense. Or how about, you know, acquiring Netflix and putting the doc where people care about docs: Netflix
    I don't understand your obsession with Apple buying Netflix. 

It would cost Apple $70 billion to buy netflix. 
    $70 billion buys a ton of content. 

If Apple wanted to get into streaming they could just buy up a ton of exclusive content and blow Netflx out of the water.

Wow i thought Netflix was 30B

And yes, Marvel was also cheap. Something like 3B.

Apple needs to do something special with the launch of the TV App. 
  • Reply 8 of 20
    apple ][ said:

"has been released exclusively on Apple Music"
    I have Apple Music, but I can't find the documentary to the film anywhere there. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    I found it in the TV App under videos. Was struggling when trying to find it through iPhone and iPad.
    cali
  • Reply 10 of 20
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    "Hip Hop Evolution," on Netflix, is a very good documentary, for anyone interested in the history of hippity-hop. 

Word to your mutha. - Vanilla Ice (not in aforementioned documentary)
    edited December 2016 Soli
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Just watched it. Pretty cool. makes you want to get one just to play with it (even though the technology is so far advanced).  The best part in the final interview with the creator...learn why they went out of production after just three years!
    Soli
  • Reply 12 of 20
    ireland said:
    $16.99, why?

Probably more expensive because this is still in theaters.
    lolliver
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Soli said:
    apple ][ said:

It's Apple's first foray into filmmaking.
    Is that right? Well, then this is a good beginning. It's getting good reviews.
    edited December 2016 calilolliver
  • Reply 14 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    $16.99, why?

Sure, I just think $16.99 encourages stealing.
    polymnia
  • Reply 15 of 20
    ireland said:
    $16.99, why?

Doubt it's in theatres.
  • Reply 16 of 20

why release a movie in apple music…

hasn’t itune’s convoluted mess thought them anything. …

music under music category
    movies under movie catagory
    both subcomponents of Apple entertainment .
    doesnt that make it more straight forward. 

now if the idea is promoting Apple music and create incentives to subscribe then just make the movie available under movies catagory and make it free for those who are subscribers to Apple Music.

• Reply 17 of 20

why release a movie in apple music…

But it's not 'a' movie. This isn't a remastered version of Die Hard (1988) with 17 seconds of additional footage. Yes, it is being used to promote Apple Music; and, yes, it will arrive on iTunes under the Movies subheading. None of these choice, from Apple financially backing this film, from it being a documentary about the Roland TR-808 Rhythm Composer, one of the first programmable drum machines, to being promoted on Apple Music is willy nilly. Even their first push into this industry was likely chosen over other great (perhaps even greater) options for original content because it would help Apple Music down the road.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 18 of 20
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    apple ][ said:
    sog35 said:
    I didn't know that, that sounds pretty cheap for Star Wars, if you are talking about the entire franchise. If that is indeed true, and if I were a billionaire, then I would have rather bought Star Wars instead of Beats, just saying.
    Disney bought Lucas films for 4.05 billion in 2012. Half cash half in Disney stock. 
  • Reply 19 of 20
    jcs2305 said:
    apple ][ said:
    sog35 said:
    Disney bought Lucas films for 4.05 billion in 2012. Half cash half in Disney stock. 
    Didn't Jobs buy Pixar from Lucas for $10 MILLION and then sell it to Disney for $20 BILLION?

edit: According to Wikipedia, "Pixar began in 1979 as the Graphics Group, part of the Lucasfilm computer division, before its spin-out as a corporation in 1986, with funding by Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Jobs, who became the majority shareholder. […] While looking for investors, Steve Jobs was interested, but Lucas found his offer too low. Yet he accepted it in the end after it turned out to be impossible to find other investors. Jobs, who had recently been fired from Apple Computer, paid $5 million to George Lucas for technology rights and put them and $5 million cash as capital into the company, and joined the board of directors as chairman. […] Disney purchased Pixar in 2006 at a valuation of $7.4 billion, a transaction that resulted in Jobs becoming Disney's largest single shareholder at the time."
    edited December 2016