Runkeeper update allows Apple Watch Series 2 & Nike+ users to track iPhone-free runs via GPS

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2016
Popular exercise tracking app Runkeeper has been updated to support the built-in GPS location tracking capabilities of the new Apple Watch Series 2, as well as the Apple Watch Nike+.

Runkeeper version 7.6 allows users to see mapped routes on their iPhone after a run with Apple Watch Series 2 hardware. Utilizing the new wearable device's dedicated GPS radio, the app allows users to accurately track their runs while leaving their phone at home.

Apple's own native Workouts app has offered GPS run tracking since the Series 2 watch debuted. But the new support from Runkeeper will apply to a large community of runners who utilize one of the most popular fitness apps on the iOS App Store.

Runkeeper previously allowed users to estimate runs when leaving the iPhone behind, but GPS support means that metrics such as pace, distance and location will be far more accurate than before.

In addition, Runkeeper for Apple Watch has also been updated with a customizable activity screen that lets users determine what stats are displayed while on a run.

One new metric is a heart rate graph that offers a snapshot of the last five minutes of beats per minute. Runkeeper sets a user's max heart rate based on their age, but it can be adjusted in settings.

Another option to display is pace, where a graph shows the last five minutes of a workout to show how the runner is performing in comparison to their target pace. Users must set a target pace in settings.

The new UI also features a larger font size, making it easier to read while on a run. And the Apple Watch will provide a vibration to the user at each mile to let them know how they are progressing.

Runkeeper version .76 is a 102-megabyte download from the App Store, compatible with iPhone and Apple Watch. It requires iOS 9.0 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Great!   Now THIS was one of the biggest improvements in watch OS3 -- because it opened up the watch's metrics (such as real time heart rate) to 3rd party apps.    A lot of runners love Run Keeper so this will be a big improvement for them.

But there are now other apps available as well:   My personal favorite ICardio (a.k.a.  'DigiFit') which I use for tracking & monitoring running, cycling, strength training and core training also became available for the Apple Watch this week as well.  The makers of this app advertise it as version #1 with improvements already in the pipeline.

Good job Apple!   This will make all three watch series (Original, 1 and 2) far more useful and usable for serious athletes amateur and pro alike.   And, most importantly, will make the watch fully competitive with the high-end fitness / exercise trackers such as Garmin, Polar and others.

I can see the Apple Watch becoming the gold standard of fitness and exercise trackers/monitors instead of an after thought.

p.s.   ICardio had held off releasing their app for the Apple Watch till now because, until OS3, Apple would not let them access heart rate and they didn't feel they could produce a quality product without it.

edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    So before RunKeeper it couldn't track GPS runs by itself? XD
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I love the AppleWatch (and the running app) as one of the best things I've bought for my trail running. Two taps and I'm running. It auto-stops if I have to stop and tie a shoe lace and auto-starts when I start running again. I don't carry my iPhone when I run and the watch syncs perfectly automatically when I get back to my car. I have the series one, so no GPS.

Before the AppleWatch I used the Nike + on my iPhone and it was good but I prefer the Apple Watch so much more. It's typical Apple, not a lot of fluff and always improving w/ each new release of WatchOS.

Just a small thing, I wish I could set the font to a larger size and just display for Ave. Pace, Distance, I don't need the time, calories, duration, etc. I used the heart rate monitor (the reason I really bought the watch) to keep me in the max fat burning zone, but now don't even have it switched on b/c it drains the battery on my longer runs and I now feel my heart rate more now. It was good for the first few months though.

Again the Apple Watch is one of the best new items I've bought for running along with Ultimate Direction Hydrations belts/vest, Hoka trail shoes, injinji toe socks (no blisters), calf compression sleeves, and green shakes. I hate the goo's and sugary drinks.

Best
  • Reply 4 of 5
    So before RunKeeper it couldn't track GPS runs by itself? XD
    Prior to Watch OS3 only the Apple activity app had access to heart rate.   It kept most quality 3rd party apps like RunKeeper out of the market.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I love the AppleWatch (and the running app) as one of the best things I've bought for my trail running. Two taps and I'm running. It auto-stops if I have to stop and tie a shoe lace and auto-starts when I start running again. I don't carry my iPhone when I run and the watch syncs perfectly automatically when I get back to my car. I have the series one, so no GPS.

Before the AppleWatch I used the Nike + on my iPhone and it was good but I prefer the Apple Watch so much more. It's typical Apple, not a lot of fluff and always improving w/ each new release of WatchOS.

Just a small thing, I wish I could set the font to a larger size and just display for Ave. Pace, Distance, I don't need the time, calories, duration, etc. I used the heart rate monitor (the reason I really bought the watch) to keep me in the max fat burning zone, but now don't even have it switched on b/c it drains the battery on my longer runs and I now feel my heart rate more now. It was good for the first few months though.

Again the Apple Watch is one of the best new items I've bought for running along with Ultimate Direction Hydrations belts/vest, Hoka trail shoes, injinji toe socks (no blisters), calf compression sleeves, and green shakes. I hate the goo's and sugary drinks.

Best
    Huh!  And you thought running was going to be cheap sport didn't you!  "All you need is a pair of tennis shoes"  LOL....

Yes, I agree.   The Run portion of the Activity App on the Watch is good -- but the display should be (more) user customizable to allow the user to set both parameters and font size.  I would add that they need to expand post-run reporting of heart rate from simply showing the average heart rate to showing both heart rate for each split as well as showing a graph of heart rate throughout the run.   Other runners I know also miss the ability to time laps on a track.  The watch has the capability to do all of that -- but Apple needs to tap into it.    Allowing the 3rd party apps may be the way to get that done.
    edited December 2016