Apple makes case for Apple Watch Series 2 Christmas gifts in new ad series

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Just in time for the holidays, Apple on Friday debuted four short television commercials touting the benefits of its new Apple Watch Series 2, from longstanding features like Apple Pay integration to new functions like GPS tracking.

Each of the four 10- to 15-second spots are shot from a first-person perspective and start out with the unwrapping of an Apple Watch Series 2 as the tagline "The Gift of Go" scrolls across the screen. Apple's own trademark holiday gift wrapping can be seen for a short second in the ad "Go Out."

Seen below, the spot runs to the backing track "Informal Sector Parade (Thornato Remix)" by Filastine and immediately showcases the Apple Watch Series 2's water resistance and messaging capabilities as the actor attempts -- and fails -- to hail a cab in the rain.

Apparently on the way to a hot date, we follow the man as he makes a frantic run through downtown, stopping only to buy a bouquet of flowers with Apple Pay. The ad cuts to an quiet elevator, where Apple Watch reminds its wearer to breathe -- via the Breathe app -- before he runs down a hall to pick up his girlfriend.

In "Go Play," set to "Realligator" by Magnus the Magnus, a woman unwraps her Apple Watch and what appears to be a Product (RED) band before heading out to play a game of street footy. During the session she gets juked fairly hard and falls to the ground, which is apparently a perfect time to check out her Activity app progress (she's lacking in Stand department).

Convinced she's met her movement and exercise goals for the day, the woman get back up, charges the goal and scores. She lets out a primal scream to punctuate the victory.

The shortest of Apple's latest ads, "Go Dance," runs only ten seconds long, just enough time to show a user unwrap their new device, press play on "Backwardz" by Junglebae and proceed to jam out with friends at a local dance studio.

Apple's final ad focuses on Apple Watch Nike+, a special athletes-only edition device that features a unique breathable Sport Band, exclusive watch faces and the Nike+ Run Club app. That very app starts the commercial, asking, "Are we running today?" The answer, of course, is yes.

Throughout the 15-second commercial, aptly titled "Go Run" and featuring the track "Tennies" by Tkay Maidza, we follow the new Apple Watch owner on a city tour that takes him through downtown, down back alleys, near an airport and into the woods. He's covered just over five kilometers at the end of his run, the path of which was tracked using onboard GPS and displayed on the Nike+ app's run summary page.

Apple's latest ad series comes as part of a push to garner consumer attention amid the lucrative holiday shopping season. Earlier this week, the company released a new installation of its "Practically Magic" iPhone commercial series, focusing on the handset's image capture capabilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    I have the Series 2, I love it and use it daily.

I must be getting old, I can't see the relevance in such quick advertising. You barely get a taste of the theme.

this wouldn't entice me! But I hope it does inspire other would be buyers.

slprescottGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 32
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member

I must be getting old, I can't see the relevance in such quick advertising. You barely get a taste of the theme.

Agreed - these are terrible. Nothing shown to differentiate from anything else, AW or otherwise. Just a waste of time to view, and a waste of money to air.  

When people didn't quite understand the iPhone, the ads at the time presented select workflows in a thoughtful and enticing way. The smart watch is similarly misunderstood today, and could benefit from a such an approach. 
    stanhopecaliMikeymikeGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 32
    I think I was a little harsh on Apple. It is after all December, they have probably run thru their 2016 advertising budget.  :D
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 4 of 32
    nubusnubus Posts: 355member
    The days of Watch being a classy fashion statement are over. It is now a gadget for suburban dwellers in jogging suits. It took Apple 1 year to give up the idea of being premium or even being in the watch business.

Angela Ahrendts was selected due to her experience in fashion. I don't believe she will stay on to sell LG Monitors and fitness accessories.
    If Apple is heading in that direction then Tim Cook has to set a team by picking up people from Nike or Adidas.
    MikeymikeGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 32
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    These short spots will probably be shown more than once during a show. Maybe two or three different spots will run during a show.

Note that these don't seem to be aimed at the market that wants to kick back, but at people who have an active, even hectic lifestyle. I think these people can appreciate the style and can find their way to a website to get detailed information regarding what sets the Apple Watches apart from others.

The Watch is more popular now than it ever was. I'm seeing more and more people with one. The need for a 60sec or 30sec commercial is far from critical. So let all the other watches fill up the airwaves with their 60 or 90sec commercial spots.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    The new Series 1 is an even better gift, save yourself £100/$100 and get a version just as quick for those non-runners, non-swimmers, and those who are more cave dwelling vs being outdoors a lot to notice fewer nits (like me). Use the savings to buy a nice band or two to go along with the Series 1 Watch, which is great (I love mine).
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 7 of 32
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I'll pass considering that you can get the first gen (Not the Series 1) 38mm stainless steel model for a crazy $250 with Modern Buckle in a variety of colors. The Modern Buckle itself is $250.  

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/original-apple-watch-2016

It it might not be waterproof, but at that price who cares :) Makes a great gift. 

king editor the grate
  • Reply 8 of 32
    I had the Original and have since then upgraded to the series 2 - Now it is not only on my wrist when at the office, but also in the gym, while running or swimming, the only time it really comes off is when it has to charge. It makes a really great gift and I can see more and more people using their watch and not taking their phones out all the time.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    CelTan said:
    I had the Original and have since then upgraded to the series 2 - Now it is not only on my wrist when at the office, but also in the gym, while running or swimming, the only time it really comes off is when it has to charge. It makes a really great gift and I can see more and more people using their watch and not taking their phones out all the time.
    How often/long are your GPS-based workouts, and are you getting more than one day out of your battery?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    I have the Series 2 (and also upgraded my wife from the first gen to a Series 2).

Love it so far. Lasted 3 days on a single charge using it at work (lots of texts and notifications). I expect when I start using it for workouts that the battery life will drop to 2 days (which is what my wife gets as she uses it for her runs). Still pretty damned good.
    cali
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Just bought a Series 2 with the brown leather strap last night for my wife for Christmas.  Oddly enough, Macy's was the only place I could find that actually had it in stock lol.  Apple and Best Buy were both showing Jan 3rd 
  • Reply 12 of 32
    I wear my Apple Watch virtually 24/7. 

And I doubt that most owners don't do the same. 

And if the millions and millions of us are like me, that was something we didn't do with our Rolex's, Movado's, Tag's or even our Timex's.

As far as I am concerned, there is a adage in the advertising/marketing/sales word, "Out of site, out of mind."

These ads re-enforce not only the availability but potential uses. And most of us owners agree profusely. And succinctly, better than I can, when confronted with a "why?" or "what for?" and without prejudice or offending the competition.

Caveat: The Apple Watch is NOT for everyone. For many it is not economical feasible, necessary or ideal. Even my wife thought so. That is until I got a few Apple Gift Cards (Xmas and Birthday) and curtailed my daily stops to Starbucks that I only had to pay less than $75 out of pocket.
    macgui
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Just bought a Series 2 with the brown leather strap last night for my wife for Christmas.  Oddly enough, Macy's was the only place I could find that actually had it in stock lol.  Apple and Best Buy were both showing Jan 3rd 

I kept checking the availability in local stores until I found some in stock, then ordered through the Apple Store App and requested local pickup. When I picked mine up I was talking to the staff and they said they are getting them in but they sell right away, mostly to people like me who did in-store pickup. Everyone else they have to tell them there's no stock and to order online.

And people say these aren't selling.
    freshmakerpscooter63adamc
  • Reply 14 of 32
    I'll consider one of these when they add some sort of ability for solar charging on the device itself.
    goodbyeranchmacgui
  • Reply 15 of 32
     Premonition Murph Premonition Murph Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    It's not that she is lacking stand points but that she start her day early working towards her goal.  Doing pretty well in the other  categories   
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Apple has hit some home runs with a lot of ads recently, some real beautiful ones for the Apple Watch in particular, but these are a swing and miss- incomprehensible messaging and ugly.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 17 of 32
    I'll consider one of these when they add some sort of ability for solar charging on the device itself.

Never going to happen. There just isn't enough energy in light to even make this feasible. Can't get around the laws of physics.
    edited December 2016 ai46StrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Ericthehalfbee  Posts: 2,875member
    11:44AM  edited 11:44AM Flag
    goldenclaw said:

Never going to happen. There just isn't enough energy in light to even make this feasible. Can't get around the laws of physics.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On powering the Apple Watch with alternative energy. Here is a chance to show my ignorance.

Any real world  chance of using one or several sources as suggested below, as an energy source?
    A.)I have read that new screen technology allows for a layer of PV collection. Could this be included in the AW screen?
    B.)How about this, it also seems that a possible energy source could be a micro kinetic energy generator/collector, especially with active users.
    C.)Also harvesting heat on/in AW or worn environ for energy?
    D.)A micro fuel cell energy exchange, for example using propane?

Please begin laughing now!

edited December 2016
  • Reply 19 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Just a comment on the series:   As long as you have your phone on you and aren't swimming, the original series is just as capable as either series one or two in all ways.   OK, it may have a 1/10 second delay for the screen to come on.   It's OK by me.   If I have to fuss over 1/10 of a second, I have other things to worry about.

Now these commercials....   I don't see any redeeming quality except to attract the hyperactive crowd.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 20 of 32
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

What i find inexplicable is the timing, which in my mind is a bit late for Christmas shopping.  You dont start an advertising champsigne after you sales problem crops up.  Frankly it is things like this that bother me more about the new Apple than all the whining about drawn out product releases.  
    apple jockey