Samsung aims to beat Apple with edge-to-edge display, no home button on Galaxy S8

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    wood1208 said:
    sog35 said:
    Man if Samsung comes out with a bezeless phone next year and Apple only gives us the 7s they will get killed

Why is Apple so slow with design?  Why can't Apple lead in design anymore?

The bezeless iPhone should have been the 7.

When was the last time Apple was actually cutting edge?

iPhone and iPad were cutting edge. And the Watch to a lesser extent.
    WTF ???
    Right?? Lol. 
    Like if edge to edge screens are totally ready... why didn't the Note 7 have one?? Why don't ANY phones have them??
    This guy LOVES making idiotic comments.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 62 of 70
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tycho24 said:
    wood1208 said:
    sog35 said:
    Man if Samsung comes out with a bezeless phone next year and Apple only gives us the 7s they will get killed

WTF ???
    Right?? Lol. 
    Loke is edge to edge screens are totally ready... why didn't the Note 7 have one?? Why don't ANY phones have them??
    Remember when Samsung put the huge micro-USB-B 3.0 port into a phone, just to have remove the from the next model when advertising USB 3.0 despite not having USB 3.0 speeds didn't translate into sales?

However, on the flip side I do wonder why the 12.9" iPad Pro received a USB 3.0 chip and Lightning 2.0 (to wit, pins on both sides of the port), but not the proper cable, or why the 2016 products still don't have a USB 3.0 chip and Lightning 2.0. I'm sure there is a technical reason, not just the "Apple is being cheap" manta, but hell if I know what it is.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 63 of 70
    Soli said:
    tycho24 said:
    wood1208 said:
    sog35 said:

WTF ???
    Right?? Lol. 
    Loke is edge to edge screens are totally ready... why didn't the Note 7 have one?? Why don't ANY phones have them??
    Remember when Samsung put the huge micro-USB-B 3.0 port into a phone, just to have remove the from
    the next model when advertising USB 3.0 despite not having USB 3.0 speeds didn't translate into sales?

However, on the flip side I do wonder why the 12.9" iPad Pro received a USB 3.0 chip and Lightning 2.0 (to wit, pins on both sides of the port), but not the proper cable, or why the 2016 products still don't have a USB 3.0 chip and Lightning 2.0. I'm sure there is a technical reason, not just the "Apple is being cheap" manta, but hell if I know what it is.
    Yeah... I struggle with this too!
    Mainly that the 12.9" Pro can charge & transfer data faster than my 9.7 Pro.
    Silly & unfair, imo.
    I paid the "tax" to own a Pro. I would like that benefit.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    tycho24 said:
    Silly & unfair, imo.
    If you want faster data won't this cable work, or is the male end of the Lightning cable still HW-limited?

• Reply 65 of 70
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    tycho24 said:
    Soli said:
    tycho24 said:
    wood1208 said:
    sog35 said:

WTF ???
    Right?? Lol. 
    Remember when Samsung put the huge micro-USB-B 3.0 port into a phone, just to have remove the from
    the next model when advertising USB 3.0 despite not having USB 3.0 speeds didn't translate into sales?

Silly & unfair, imo.
    Obviously Apple could offer this ability on every Lightning product it makes. The fact they don't suggests willful intent. Just some random brainstorming, one possible reason is that Apple wants to temper the speed to that which wired transfers are allowed. If the iPhone goes completely wireless, it will be constrained by wireless speeds, not to mention slower SmartConnector rates for the wired connections Apple may permit. Maybe this is why the 256GB iPhone was so long in coming -- the grater the storage, the slower the backup and restore. Then again, how often do most customers have to do a full backup and restore? iCloud is constantly backing up the iPhone and transferring photos, videos, and data, so there's no real need to plug it in for major transfers. AirDrop handles large files between Apple equipment. But that's where the 7Plus started getting problematic for anyone actually using the capabilities of the camera and 4K video. Anything Apple currently offers to transfer even 200GB of newly created data on the 7Plus is going to take time, limiting its use in some situations. But for most, USB 2.0 is going to be more than sufficient for the few times they may need to connect it to a Mac, assuming they are already completely happy using the iPhone completely wirelessly (as far as data is concerned anyway)

The iPad is a different story, since it has not only large storage capability, but Apple is positioning it as a MacBook replacement. Transferring large amounts of data quickly is a significant feature of computers where wifi is not really an acceptable option. Even when the iPhone likely drops its ports, the iPad may keep a port indefinitely, whether Lightning, or an eventual convergence to USB-C or its successor. But the iPhone Plus models are becoming increasingly "Pro". Perhaps the Plus models will retain the Lightning port long after the regular iPhones drop it, and update to USB 3.0 support in order to connect to an iPad Pro to quickly transfer 500GB raw photos and 4K video while on vacation or for work. Certainly the 9" iPad will likely get Lightning 2, but despite the "Pro" moniker, it's still a consumer tablet product which Apple wants to encourage use with iCloud and AirDrop. It's hard to imagine Apple pushing a 9" MacBook replacement -- a screen dimension they haven't offered since the 90s. So maybe that's the distinction here. Eventually there'll be a consumer and pro model of everything, in the meantime, Apple knows Pros will likely always plug-in rather than use wireless, but they don't necessarily want to encourage that where've they can get away with it?
  • Reply 66 of 70
    Soli said:
    tycho24 said:
    Silly & unfair, imo.
    If you want faster data won't this cable work, or is the male end of the Lightning cable still HW-limited?

Yeah, that ONLY works on a 12.9" Pro.
    You can charge at the 29W.
  • Reply 67 of 70
    tycho24 said:
    Soli said:
    tycho24 said:
    Silly & unfair, imo.

1) But at least it works. Better than Apple testing out a USB 3.0 chipset and Lightning 2.0, but then having it SW limited for the user.

2) I'm expecting that USB-C on the PSU, Lightning 2.0 cables, and USB 3.0 chips will all come down the line in 2017. Although, I also expected that for 2016 after the 2015 teardown of the iPad Pro. :smile: 
  • Reply 68 of 70
    Soli said:
    tycho24 said:
    Soli said:
    tycho24 said:
    Silly & unfair, imo.

1) But at least it works. Better than Apple testing out a USB 3.0 chipset and Lightning 2.0, but then having it SW limited for the user.

2) I'm expecting that USB-C on the PSU, Lightning 2.0 cables, and USB 3.0 chips will all come down the line in 2017. Although, I also expected that for 2016 after the 2015 teardown of the iPad Pro. :smile: 
    To be clear: its hardware limited, not software limited...
    if you buy a 29w brick, the 9.7" Pro will only draw 10w from it. So it would be a waste of money.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    tycho24 said:
    Soli said:
    tycho24 said:
    Soli said:
    tycho24 said:
    Silly & unfair, imo.

2) I'm expecting that USB-C on the PSU, Lightning 2.0 cables, and USB 3.0 chips will all come down the line in 2017. Although, I also expected that for 2016 after the 2015 teardown of the iPad Pro. smile 
    To be clear: its hardware limited, not software limited...
    if you buy a 29w brick, the 9.7" Pro will only draw 10w from it. So it would be a waste of money.
    You lost me.

1) I was referring to having all the HW for greater than USB 2.0 read/write speeds, but then limiting it SW to USB 2.0 speeds that Apple may theoretically do.

2) I think the 13" iPad Pro* comes with a 12W PSU.

3) I've read that the MacBook's PSU will charge it in about half the time over the included 12W PSU, which does imply that the iPad Pro can handle a larger draw.

4) While 29W may technically be overkill, since it's a USB-C connector, there's no reason one can't buy, say, a 24W PSU from a reputable company.

* Why do we say 12.9" instead of the simpler 13" for the iPad Pro? It's not like we don't skim on many other devices Apple sells with sizes close to a cardinal number.
    edited December 2016