Nintendo's 'Super Mario Run' for iPhone requires a persistent internet connection for play

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    This is another of example of the Genius of Cook.

Closing this deal with Nintendo is just the beginning of the Apple+Nintendo partnership. Cook is a master of closing deals. Great job Mr Cook
    Cook is a genius now? But you have 62,017 rants each day, raging that he's not fit to lead Apple and demanding he step down ASAP, and you consistently call him every name in the book. Are you bipolar or something? You're really a piece of work. Maybe you took your meds today? Who knows.

Come on.  You called on him to change.  He's changed.  Enjoy the new Cook-admiring sog.
    We didn't call on him to arbitrarily change his extreme behavior to the opposite extreme. It's still irrational and extreme behavior. 
    StrangeDaysdasanman69
  • Reply 42 of 83
  • Reply 43 of 83
    Isog35 said:
    dysamoria said:

slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    This is another of example of the Genius of Cook.

Closing this deal with Nintendo is just the beginning of the Apple+Nintendo partnership. Cook is a master of closing deals. Great job Mr Cook
    Cook is a genius now? But you have 62,017 rants each day, raging that he's not fit to lead Apple and demanding he step down ASAP, and you consistently call him every name in the book. Are you bipolar or something? You're really a piece of work. Maybe you took your meds today? Who knows.

Come on.  You called on him to change.  He's changed.  Enjoy the new Cook-admiring sog.
    We didn't call on him to arbitrarily change his extreme behavior to the opposite extreme. It's still irrational and extreme behavior. 
    So saying that Tim Cook is doing a good job is extreme behavior?

if I posted this under fog35 instead of sog35 would you still think its extreme behavior?

Nothing I said is irrational or extreme. 

Its extreme to you because you can't reconcile the fact that people opinions change.
    I think the point Slurpy is trying to make is that you seem to only be acting reflexively every time a news story breaks. Sometimes it's, "this horrible fire Cook" other times it's "Cook is the best thing since sliced bread". Sog you are right it is totally appropriate to react to news either positively or negatively, Slurpy is just pointing out that you are not integrating this into your existing narrative. The worth of an individual is not determined by a single action or moment in time, but rather by a collection of there successes and failures, activism and indefference, etc. So while it is logical for one to simultaneously love and hate certain decisions Cook makes, it is entirely illogical to love or hate him as an individual based on a sole data point (which in this case was the last news but you happened to agreed or disagreed with).
    SoliStrangeDays
  • Reply 44 of 83
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Soli said:
    Hopefully they offer a setting—that is On by default—that will prevent it being played on cellular.
    iOS has this feature built-in with Settings > Mobile Data > Use Mobile Data for and it can be turned off per app, it might be on by default for new apps though, Apple could change this if it is. 75MB/hour is quite a lot just for verification. I don't see why it can't just be a verification code every minute or something e.g 60KB/hour. That would be fine on mobile data. If the user didn't send a valid code or too many people send the same code, they don't allow the game to play. We'll see when it arrives how much data it uses in the real world, I'm sure if it uses too much they will make adjustments. Pokemon Go only uses 3MB/hour and that must surely use more data than Mario given that the game is always having to update locations:

http://bgr.com/2016/07/21/pokemon-go-data-usage/
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 83
    ok, ignoring the comments - requiring an internet connection sucks. It is one of the reasons I give up on certain games - when traveling a lot, tube, train and plane, an internet connection is not really possible - I was looking forward to this, but needing an internet connection for "better gameplay experience" means that they did not properly think about it - there are plenty of games that have a great offline mode and then switch to online when needed.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    The hackers who wormed their way into Pokémon Go ruined the experience for me. How can I honestly compete with cheaters, if I'm walking my butt around town, taking gyms, just so some weenie sitting on his couch can just take it back without even leaving his house? Whatever they can do to limit this kind of stuff is great, as far as I'm concerned. Normally the data required for a connection for this type of game is negligible and we really shouldn't see it hog our data allotments. I am still very much on board with this game. Looks awesome. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 83
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    gatorguy said:

Interviewer question: "Just to be clear: When you say “security,” you mean the risk of piracy, right?"

Miyamoto: "That’s correct."

I recall vividly back in my Macintosh 128k days in the mid-1980's how 400k disk copy protection was a pretty horrid experience for the user. It was almost as bad as having to perpetually swap out 400k disks in your single 400k floppy equipped Mac. CopyIIMac, which allowed you to make backups of most of your protected disks, became a hot seller (not just among pirates either); and eventually some companies even advertised the fact they did NOT have copy protection in order to boost their software sales.  Eventually, most major software dropped copy protection, until modern day "online activation" and subscription models came on the scene.

A constant link to the net to prevent piracy is the modern equivalent of the old 400k floppy protection, causing no pain for some (those on WiFi) but big pain for others (those keeping an eye on cell data use).  The upside is that most major iOS apps don't do this, unlike the days of old when some major apps forced 400k disk copy protection down your throat.  As a result, the undesirable yet rather easy solution to this game's copy protection scheme is just not to buy it.  It is, after all, only a game.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Seems likely this is implemented to achieve parity with the eventual Android counterpart (The version most at risk) and nothing to do with iOS specifically. Persistent server connections are not unheard of in mobile gaming, so I don't know why this is garnering so much attention. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 83
    PlakitisPlakitis Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    It proves that Nintendo have absolutely NO IDEA what the term "Mobile Gaming" means and their "pirate excuse" is ridiculous!!
  • Reply 50 of 83
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It's a real bummer. I'll probably still buy it, but for the majority of the time I play games I won't be able to play this. NY Subway has no Internet.
    Yes it does. It's just not consistent.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Plakitis said:
    It proves that Nintendo have absolutely NO IDEA what the term "Mobile Gaming" means and their "pirate excuse" is ridiculous!!
    Exactly. My son has an iPod Touch, so how is he supposed to play the game when he's not near wifi?
  • Reply 52 of 83
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Plakitis said:
    Exactly. My son has an iPod Touch, so how is he supposed to play the game when he's not near wifi?
    Will the old iPod Touch even be supported? If it is, how many sales will that really impact for Nintendo when you factor in iPod Touch users with no access to WiFi?
  • Reply 53 of 83
    Plakitis said:
    It proves that Nintendo have absolutely NO IDEA what the term “Mobile Gaming” means…
    Never mind that it’s nothing more than an auto runner. A proper game would be far more well received
    dasanman69
  • Reply 54 of 83
    Soli said:
    Plakitis said:
    Will the old iPod Touch even be supported? If it is, how many sales will that really impact for Nintendo when you factor in iPod Touch users with no access to WiFi?
    You can't forget that old iPhones get repurposed as iPods in many families. Ultimately you are correct that it is not enough devices to effect Nintendo's bottom line, but I still agree with the OP's claim that this game is truly not mobile gaming. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Soli said:
    Plakitis said:
    You can't forget that old iPhones get repurposed as iPods in many families. Ultimately you are correct that it is not enough devices to effect Nintendo's bottom line, but I still agree with the OP's claim that this game is truly not mobile gaming. 
    Saying it's not a truly a mobile game is like saying the iPhone is not a true mobile device because most of its functions are gone when there is WiFi or cellular connection. I think that it's a pocketable means that it's mobile and the fact that it's not great for use when hiking for days up a mountain when I have no data or 1x/GPRS from the carrier (which always seems to translate into no data, anyway), just means it's not good for that environment, not that it's not mobile.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    Soli said:
    Saying it's not a truly a mobile game is like saying the iPhone is not a true mobile device because most of its functions are gone when there is WiFi or cellular connection.
    Well… I dunno; I’m not sure I agree. But I find the more important thing is questioning whether Mario Run is actually a game. I’d have to see a playthrough first, but it’s entirely possible this falls under the “walking simulator” category that so many pretentious outlets are trying to pass off as games these days.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    Soli said:
    Saying it's not a truly a mobile game is like saying the iPhone is not a true mobile device because most of its functions are gone when there is WiFi or cellular connection.
    Well… I dunno; I’m not sure I agree. But I find the more important thing is questioning whether Mario Run is actually a game. I’d have to see a playthrough first, but it’s entirely possible this falls under the “walking simulator” category that so many pretentious outlets are trying to pass off as games these days.
    "Walking simulator" is new term to me. Can you explain how "endless or auto runner" somehow makes it not a game when the player clearly has to interact with the environment in order to survive, score points, get to the next level? Even back on the original Nintendo there were race car games, for example, where your character (a car) was constantly moving but you had to go around corners and avoid other cars to win.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    Soli said:
    Can you explain how "endless or auto runner" somehow makes it not a game when the player clearly has to interact with the environment in order to survive, score points, get to the next level?
    Oh, I don’t know. Like I said, I’ll need to see some gameplay to see where this thing falls.
    "Walking simulator" is new term to me. 
    Things like Firewatch, Gone Home, The Stanley Parable, Cradle, and even–to some extent–things like The Last of Us, where the story is the only thing that mattered to the developer, and there are little to no real gameplay elements (win/lose states, any player choice, etc.)
  • Reply 59 of 83
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Plakitis said:
    Saying it's not a truly a mobile game is like saying the iPhone is not a true mobile device because most of its functions are gone when there is WiFi or cellular connection. I think that it's a pocketable means that it's mobile and the fact that it's not great for use when hiking for days up a mountain when I have no data or 1x/GPRS from the carrier (which always seems to translate into no data, anyway), just means it's not good for that environment, not that it's not mobile.
    Different connotations. A mobile device, especially for communications always needed some sort of connectivity, whether cellular, or mobile Internet. Whereas mobile gaming devices games have never historically needed a persistent Internet connection to be playable.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    Different connotations. A mobile device, especially for communications always needed some sort of connectivity, whether cellular, or mobile Internet. Whereas mobile gaming devices games have never historically needed a persistent Internet connection to be playable.
    You need an internet connection to play Words with Friends and that's been a hugely popular game for many years now.