holyone said:
    flaneur said:
    holyone said:
    flaneur said:
    holyone said:
    slurpy said:
    holyone said:
    lank said:
    This makes sense. I have hearing aids that work with my iPhone. They are great in many ways. But, this is one issue, since they have separate connections things can get a little strange "between the ears" at times when listening to sound from my iPhone. I thought this was why the Beats earphones have a wire between them when the AI review of the Beats earphones asked for complete wireless. Be careful what you ask for. I hope they have a good solution. Bless those Apple engineers.
    Yeah, the kind of hellish time those guys would be having if SJ was hearing this. heads would be rolling.
    Under SJ the white iPhone 4 was delayed pretty much a full year with near-zero explanation, along with many other delays.  Stop pretending like if SJ was in charge everything would magically work out like clockwork, or that employee's fear of him would magically solve the most complex engineering problems. 
    What ever man, fact, Tim decided to announce these things before they were clearly ready, they might be some understanding if these problems were after launch, technical glitches are nothing new to brand new products, even with the preceding yammering, it be nothing new and IMHO been better, but this is an internally detected corncerpt defect of a very fundamental function of the product, an issue that should have been first to be perfected and resolved before even considering an announcement, Jobs being so product obsessive would have better insured this, that's all I'm saying. No one claimed he was perfect and infallible but his absents at Apple, though it can't be helped, is sorely undeniable, R.I.P to the turtle-necked one.
    "RIP to the turtle-necked one." — Before you get all smarmy like this, consider that you don't know the facts about the delay. The WSJ story is ridiculous on its face, and the writer has no idea how the Airpods work. Gruber does. Read what he says.

And what the hell does "his absents at Apple . . . is sorely undeniable" even mean? 
    It means that there is a very palpable and visible deference between Apple with Steve running things and one with out him, the man was the thread that stitched that place together IMHO and his absents there is something perceivable to me some how and I don't think I'm the only one, this isn't criticism to the current leadership as no one can replace the man, it's more saddened reminiscence and recognition of the prowess of Steve Jobs and this article just reminded me, and to be orhnest I'm not all that excited by these Air Pods, to me they seem to compromised for esthetic appeal, which I suspect is more to the delay than anything, they are too tiny, unessesarily, this design should have been generation two or three IMO
    Well, clearly you do believe in magic, and then get yourself worked up over its perceived absence. That's the religious MO in a nutshell.

Steve Jobs the Buddhist would likely prefer that we move on from our attachments to the past and enjoy riding in the stream of innovation that the team he assembled produces. Very different from sentimental worship of the Apple guru era.

The AirPods are EarPods without wires. How are they compromised aesthetically? Do you like the wires so much? Methinks we'll get used to the look of the AirPods very quickly.
    They are compromise in that they look a bit tiny thus living very little space to put all the bells and whistles, that are going to make the product great, as we all know Apple loves thin and light however, I might have though it being the first generation and all they might allow more space in the design as to issuer there are absolutely no issues and there is enough space for everything to fit, that's all I ment. To your other point I think "Steve the Buddhist" would have far more preferred that Apple make great products for us to enjoy first and bring them to market in a timely fashion, and that if that becomes impossible that there be cleare communication from Apple as to the issu so we aren't all arguing about something that might very well be understood and put everyone ease, when one of a few products under Steve was delayed we all were told the exact issue. I think the lack of communication from Apple is really concerning in today's time of instant news.
    Are you talking about the same Apple that i am? Apple under SJ was notorious for being tight lipped and not saying shit. Even about delays -- see white iphone 4 delay. You're revising history to match your narrative rather than admitting it's a false one. 
    Yeah I know about the iPhone 4, people love bringing that instance in comparison, and that didn't delay the iPhone only a white version of it, because it was new, if you still wanted an iPhone you still could get the black one, this isn't the same thing, the thing is Steve was a genius, disagree ? so if things didn't go so smoothly you wouldn't mind that much because you could trust that eventually all the right decisions would be made and the products would be great,and if they weren't they be quickly caned, that was the Steve effect he was that, can you confidently say that's still the obsession at Apple with out him ?
  • Reply 102 of 111
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    Leave it to you bozos to always find something to gripe about.

I don't know that I'd call this "griping" but in any case, what's wrong with pointing out the blatantly obvious: that this isn't good news.

If your sitting in a theater waiting for a show to start and they come out and announce that the delay is caused by technical difficulties, I doubt too many people are going to say "thank god they didn't start the show with bad audio; I'm just glad they are taking the time to get it right."  A more natural reaction is "that sucks, I wanted the show to start on time; I hope it doesn't take too long to fix."

Yeah, yeah, it's not a perfect metaphor because we haven't bought tickets to anything, but still it's perfectly reasonable to "gripe" when something you're looking forward to isn't delivered when you were told and the latest rumor is "they're still working out the kinks."

This is good news.

This is just shows that Apple cares about quality.

Comparing a mundane act of showing a movie compared to release a brand new technology is ridiculous.

A better comparison is a stuntman who is attempting to jump over a bridge. But at the last moment they realize the motorcycle engine is not running just right. Do you want him to try it anyway? Would you be bitter disappointed? 
    Hmmm.... SOMEONE here about a week or so ago wanted Cook fired for not having them ready for Holiday buying. Surely that wasn't you. 

He's finally found another $200 and has kept it folded in his wallet for the AirPods. Keep watching/ reading his sanity slip away as he burns through the money!

EDIT: Yup, looks like he now has $300 in his wallet! I have him on my block list so only saw his comment quoted by another poster. He's happy! I hope, for all our sakes, the money lasts till the AirPods are ready!

edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 111

Well, looks like Apple has another hit product in the pipeline! The amount of teeth-clenching going around because of the delay suggests that people are really looking forward to picking up a pair (or two).

And again, sales figures will be obscured as they will probably be reported in the same mix as the Apple Watch. So, as always, we can expect doom and gloom in terms of analysis and Apple quietly laughing all the way to the bank!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 104 of 111
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    crowley said:
    Problems completely avoidable by not having separate ear units.  I have no idea why anyone would find this desirable, a band connecting the pods means less power draw, easier synchronisation, and it keeps the units together, more secure, and allows you to remove and hang them round your neck.

Unnecessarily over-engineered.
    If there is one thing I don't like about my Powerbeats3 it's the tether.  The tether is great for hanging around your neck, but it does have the tendency to pull when you turn your head, and this can dislodge one of the buds from your ear. 

I really don't buy this "They'llGetLostGate" argument. We've had untethered gadgets (including earbuds) for years, but only the Apple models will get lost. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 105 of 111
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    holyone said:
    holyone said:
    holyone said:
    slurpy said:
    holyone said:
    lank said:
    This makes sense. I have hearing aids that work with my iPhone. They are great in many ways. But, this is one issue, since they have separate connections things can get a little strange "between the ears" at times when listening to sound from my iPhone. I thought this was why the Beats earphones have a wire between them when the AI review of the Beats earphones asked for complete wireless. Be careful what you ask for. I hope they have a good solution. Bless those Apple engineers.
    Yeah, the kind of hellish time those guys would be having if SJ was hearing this. heads would be rolling.
    Under SJ the white iPhone 4 was delayed pretty much a full year with near-zero explanation, along with many other delays.  Stop pretending like if SJ was in charge everything would magically work out like clockwork, or that employee's fear of him would magically solve the most complex engineering problems. 
    What ever man, fact, Tim decided to announce these things before they were clearly ready, they might be some understanding if these problems were after launch, technical glitches are nothing new to brand new products, even with the preceding yammering, it be nothing new and IMHO been better, but this is an internally detected corncerpt defect of a very fundamental function of the product, an issue that should have been first to be perfected and resolved before even considering an announcement, Jobs being so product obsessive would have better insured this, that's all I'm saying. No one claimed he was perfect and infallible but his absents at Apple, though it can't be helped, is sorely undeniable, R.I.P to the turtle-necked one.
    1) this is a rumor story, not fact. 

2) Gruber's sources deny this story is true. 

3) Jobs had production problems as well, so claiming it wouldn't happen if he were alive is cliche bunk. 
    I never claimed it wouldn't happen if he were alive, the rumor is about why the Air Pods were delayed which isn't the point of what I'm saying, the point is that they were DELAYED,that's a Fact, and in such a manner that suggests that the product shouldn't have been announced the way it was if it was not ready, you can excuse this if you feel and lambaste me for pointing at this real flaw if it makes you feel good about you're self and makes you feel like you know and understand Apple better than anyone here, but Steve Jobs is Apple and pretending that the company hasn't lost a huge part of its magic is up to you if you, if you can't feel it then I'm glad for you, but to me something just not the same.
     No. We all know it's delayed. What we don't know is that it's some "core issue" just being discovered now as he rumor suggests, and as you lambasted them for, while also claiming it wouldn't happen under Jobs. Your words:

"this is an internally detected corncerpt defect of a very fundamental function of the product, an issue that should have been first to be perfected and resolved before even considering an announcement, Jobs being so product obsessive would have better insured this,"

...again, that's nonsense because this is a rumor, and what's more a disputed rumor by Gruber's sources in apple and in contact with the airpods team. 

Then you throw in the "Steve Jobs would never!" trope. Tired, cliche, and ignorant of any facts. 
    Gruber's sources represent rumors as well regardless of the "connection within Apple " per fix, but Offcause some are better than other's, my comment was on the assumption that this particular rumore was true with out the consideration of any other rumor or speculation, only considering this particular speculation as to be the cause of the Air Pods delay, and this could still be the cause, as it's not imposible for this to be the cause, hence its called rumore or more speculation, untill Apple officially serts the recod strate, in that view I find my coment apropreate, perhaps a little overstated, admittedly I had just read the "I am a Mac" article so feeling some kinda way, but there are no facts here, Guber isn't an Apple representative he just doing guess work like every one els, I guess we share a different outlook when it comes to the state of the company. I think part of the problem is that there is so much utter crapp written about Apple that even legitimate concerns and contentment are lamped together with all the pure disdain against Apple that's out there, so I understand you're knee jerk reaction it's hard to filter everything out, but my general observations are that something just isn't right, I'm allowed to feel that way even if you don't agree or feel the same, that doesnt make me ignorant as youre in no better position either, the fact is there has always been Apple nei sayers and critics who've done so at some pretty ridiculous times and at very good desissions made by Apple, but, this company that I also like and want to see make the best possible products, isn't infallible, Apple isnt beyond mistakes and failure, I think that is more so with out Steve do you disagree ? Also when is the right time where "we" are in your view allowed to worry and bring up the "Tired, cliche, and ignorant of any facts tropes" in that case. Do you feel that Aple is still at the same perceived or not levels of excellence and brilliance as it was under SJ ?
    I think the problem is that many people jump on the bandwagon because they lack the ability to think critically for themselves. When I first read this rumour, my first thought was that this doesn't make sens: Apple has been working on the Airpods for some time, and only now thinks that losing one is a problem? Makes no sense. They have only just discovered the sync problem? Again, makes no sense. 

Apples problem here is manufacturing. And this is the same problem they had when Steve Jobs (praise him) was in charge. As great as he was, under him we had the hockey puck mouse, and the G4 Cube which suffered cracks in the casing after a few months of use. 

As as someone pointed out, Jobs's reign at Apple is now as much a religious fairytale as it is fact. In years to come, the facts will slip further as the story is rewritten over and over by people such as yourself. 

In a hundred years, folk will be attaching stories to Steve Jobs that are as far-fetched as tales from the Bible  appear today. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 106 of 111
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    crowley said:
    Problems completely avoidable by not having separate ear units.  I have no idea why anyone would find this desirable, a band connecting the pods means less power draw, easier synchronisation, and it keeps the units together, more secure, and allows you to remove and hang them round your neck.
    Unnecessarily over-engineered.
    Your primary comment about this delay states that it's "completely avoidable by not having separate ear units" despite having no data to back that up.

Here's some additional data that shows that even BeatsX, where the earpieces are connected by a wire, are also being delayed 2–3 months.

This goes against your entire argument. I guess you could still argue that it's "unnecessarily over-engineered" to have Bluetooth headphones that remove all the issues with pairing and unpairing, and allow it to know when it's in use and which ears are in use so that it can maximize battery usage, and to have them synced between devices using iCloud, but I would wholeheartedly disagree if you think that the W1-chip is a foolish and unnecessary advancement to making wireless accessories better.

crowley said:
    You are more than welcome to disagree, but calling someone's opinion absurd just because you disagree is... well, absurd.
    No, not it's not. I'll let Patton Oswalt field that one.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 107 of 111
    Fact 1:  Removing the headphone jack from iPhone 7 was planned months and months ago.
    Fact 2:  Removing headphone jack would necessitate an Apple wireless solution, ripe for innovation.
    Fact 3:  iPhone 7 introduced in September, with the primary bitch being, "No headphone jack?"
    Fact 4:  Airpods should have shipped same day as iPhone 7 and been flawless.

This isn't a small mistake.  It's a huge fumble.  Airpods ain't gonna ship for Christmas.  They are a nice gift price point and all that revenue is bye bye.  How many new products this year?  How many are truly innovative and "Leap Frog?"  Nada

Sorry Tim, we do our job first, then we play.

gosh, I sound like Sog
    holyoneAI_liasmac_128
  • Reply 108 of 111
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    kamilton said:
    Fact 1:  Removing the headphone jack from iPhone 7 was planned months and months ago.
    Fact 2:  Removing headphone jack would necessitate an Apple wireless solution, ripe for innovation.
    Fact 3:  iPhone 7 introduced in September, with the primary bitch being, "No headphone jack?"

This isn't a small mistake.  It's a huge fumble.  Airpods ain't gonna ship for Christmas.  They are a nice gift price point and all that revenue is bye bye.  How many new products this year?  How many are truly innovative and "Leap Frog?"  Nada

gosh, I sound like Sog
    1) How is a "should have" an unremitting fact?

2) Did you have the same strong feelings against the previous CEO when this stuff happened?
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 109 of 111
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    kamilton said:

gosh, I sound like Sog
    And keep in mind, for those who upgrade their iPhone every year, they have already lost 1/4 of the useful life of their phone with a makeshift solution to compensate for the AirPods -- the headphones custom made for the iPhone 7 to ensure a maximized user experience, as a convenient replacement for wired headphones. The included Lightning headphones can't even be used on a Mac.
  • Reply 110 of 111
    Soli said:
    kamilton said:

gosh, I sound like Sog
    1) How is a "should have" an unremitting fact?

2) Did you have the same strong feelings against the previous CEO when this stuff happened?
    Correction

Fact 4: Airpods didn't ship same day as iPhone 7 and haven't as of 12-12-16.