More reports suggest Apple's AirPods will see pre-Christmas release

Posted:
in General Discussion
According to some Apple Retail sources, Apple's AirPods may show up for sale in the next couple of days, but nearly immediately go on back-order, because of limited product availability.

Based on multiple comments made to long-time Apple journalist John Gruber, there is speculation that the long-awaited AirPods would barely make it to retail for the holiday season, but in very limited quantities. However, Gruber did note that the sources weren't particularly well-placed,

"They are getting very close to missing the holidays," said Gruber. "I have heard just in the last 24 hours, not from like a very well placed little birdie but from a birdie, that there's a possibility, that there are whispers in Apple, among people who work at Apple retail, that they might actually come in 'the next few days.'"

Should Gruber's data be correct, it lines up with what AppleInsider was told in early November by sources at Apple Retail and corporate as well.

Sources within Apple corporate told AppleInsider that there was "no way" that the company was going to miss a holiday season release. Additionally, several venues have received pre-release sets for review.

"We're ready to go any time," one AppleInsider retail source confirmed. "We've got a few pairs for customer demonstration that we're just waiting on the word to start with."

Additionally, in the end of November, Apple CEO Tim Cook also noted that the long-awaited AirPods were "finalizing" and expected to ship in the "next few weeks," in time for the holiday season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    I just hope its not
     "available to order"

Ship In January
    Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Sources within Apple corporate told AppleInsider that there was "no way" that the company was going to miss a holiday season release. Additionally, several venues have received pre-release sets for review.
    Um, it's December 12 and they're still not in stores yet. That's cutting it kinda close, no?
  • Reply 3 of 47
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    They'll be available...with about 5,000 in stock that will sell instantly. So be very quick when the ordering goes live or else you could be SOL. I do wonder if they'll be shipping before Christmas. I'd say they'd have to start taking orders by the end of the week. 
  • Reply 4 of 47
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    This is pathetic. Allegedly BeatsX is also delayed significantly. 

Some parts of Apple seem to work well, while others appear to be dysfunctional. 

Can the dysfunctional parts be fixed? Or are the functional parts just a remnant of a better Apple -- a remnant that will eventually decay into dysfunction? 

I've got a bad feeling about this... 
    Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 5 of 47
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    It's headphones. Why not just wait until they're ready instead of getting upset about it?
    edited December 2016 patchythepiratesmiffy31StrangeDayslkrupppscooter63mike1stanthemanpaxmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 47
    macxpress said:
    They'll be available...with about 5,000 in stock that will sell instantly. So be very quick when the ordering goes live or else you could be SOL. I do wonder if they'll be shipping before Christmas. I'd say they'd have to start taking orders by the end of the week. 
    Fortunately this year there is a full uninterrupted week leading up to Christmas, with Christmas Eve itself being a Saturday. Logistics wise, this is the retailers' dream come true. 

But, that said, they would have to launch by tomorrow, maybe Wednesday the absolute latest, to be reasonably expected to deliver before the end of next week.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Soli said:
    It's headphones. Why not just wait until they're ready instead of getting upset about it?
    I guess in the eyes of most consumers it just looks bad when a company touts the transition to a wireless future, announces their new wireless headphones and then fails to deliver. It looks sloppy.

I do not doubt that the headphones will be phenomenal when they eventually reach the market but right now it just reflects poorly on Apple's management of their product line. ( Including tablet, laptop, desktop and accessories overall)
    edited December 2016 randominternetpersonbdkennedy1002slprescott
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Sources within Apple corporate told AppleInsider that there was "no way" that the company was going to miss a holiday season release. Additionally, several venues have received pre-release sets for review.
    Um, it's December 12 and they're still not in stores yet. That's cutting it kinda close, no?
    Well, yes. 

Normally I wouldn't advocate this, but I think Apple should release a statement saying whether or not they're going to make it for a Christmas. Folk may have planned to get/give these as presents. Since Apple promised them in November then they should give people time to make alternative arrangements. 
    randominternetpersonrogifan_newpscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Donvermo said:
    Soli said:
    I guess in the eyes of most consumers it just looks bad when a company touts the transition to a wireless future, announces their new wireless headphones and then fails to deliver. It looks sloppy.

I do not doubt that the headphones will be phenomenal when they eventually reach the market but right now it just reflects poorly on Apple's management of their product line. ( Including tablet, laptop, desktop and accessories overall)
    It's not the best move, but this happens all the time with Apple and usually posters here get annoyed that Apple is so secretive that they don't announce stuff soon enough when their competitors are saying how this or that is in the pipeline (even if it never comes to fruition). At least with Apple, very few announcements have ever became vaporware.

The white iPhone 4 finally existed after 10(?) months, but FaceTime was never open sourced and resolution independence still hasn't happened despite being one of the biggest features touted with Mac OS X 10.4(?).

Apple survived these with sort of thing with major products over the years so I think the company will be fine when talking about an accessory. Plus, I'd say it's better to have people upset with a non-release than upset with having spent $159+ for something that isn't working properly. Same for BeatsX, whatever they cost.
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Soli said:
    For Apple to miss the holiday shopping season with a fantastically priced accessory that will surely sell in the tens of millions, is pretty disappointing...not just to consumers, but anyone watching Apple's performance.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 11 of 47
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    blastdoor said:

Can the dysfunctional parts be fixed? Or are the functional parts just a remnant of a better Apple -- a remnant that will eventually decay into dysfunction? 

I sort of understood the delays with AppleWatch. This one seems a major oops though. They needed to have these ready when iPhone 7 without a jack was available.

It really does take courage to take the headphone jack out of the flagship product...then not have a product ready to sell to make it fully functional.

This sort of reminds me of Apple Maps (and to a lesser extent, Siri.)
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Soli said:
    For Apple to miss the holiday shopping season with a fantastically priced accessory that will surely sell in the tens of millions, is pretty disappointing...not just to consumers, but anyone watching Apple's performance.
    Most customers don't know about the ear pods, Even if they miss Christmas That will not stop them selling millions, maybe a bit slower to the start but I think they are in it for the long run, not out to make a quick buck.

And I totally agree with Soli.
    edited December 2016 StrangeDaysmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 47
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Well, yes. 

Normally I wouldn't advocate this, but I think Apple should release a statement saying whether or not they're going to make it for a Christmas. Folk may have planned to get/give these as presents. Since Apple promised them in November then they should give people time to make alternative arrangements. 
    Most well-prepared people have likely already made other plans wouldn't you think? If Apple manages to get them to market by the end of this week, there may be a last minute rush for them either way, which will rely on the shipping infrastructure to get them into people's homes, and the pins and needles that result in people worrying whether they make it in time for Christmas. 

And they will need a significant supply of them to ensure there's not mass dissapointment from lent up demand unable to get them in time for the holidays. Hard to say whether they can mitigate this problem, depending on what the problem was. 

I've said since the beginning if they didn't get them to market by the end of Nov. that its in their best interest to wait until January, rather than deal with frustrated customers trying to get their hands on them, but finding them sold out everywhere, just before Christmas. Imagine if the new iPhones went on sale Decemebr 20th every year! 
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Soli said:
    Because the haters and trolls cannot miss an opportunity to hate and show their disdain. Meanwhile, they're producing nothing themselves. 
    edited December 2016 mike1tdknoxsingularitywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 47
    eightzero said:
    blastdoor said:

I sort of understood the delays with AppleWatch. This one seems a major oops though. They needed to have these ready when iPhone 7 without a jack was available.

It really does take courage to take the headphone jack out of the flagship product...then not have a product ready to sell to make it fully functional.

Garbage -- the 7 is fully functional now, today, and at launch. BT works just fine as do the other W1 headphones already available. 
    edited December 2016 smiffy31watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Soli said:
    Because they were announced way back in September and Apple said they would be available in late October. At this point they might as well wait until they can be fully ramped up and stocked up online and in stores. If they go online and immediately there's a 4-6 week shipping delay it's just going to piss people off even more. Apple had no problem putting out a press release when the white iPhone 4 was delayed. They should have done the same thing here.
    edited December 2016 randominternetpersongatorguy
  • Reply 17 of 47

Rayz2016 said:
    Well, yes. 

On Gruber's podcast he said he's certain Apple's removal of the headphone jack was intended to coincide with AirPods and if AirPods weren't ready this year the headphone jack wouldn't have been removed. I agree about a statement though I think it should have come once Apple knew they wouldn't come close to meeting late October time frame. They did it with the white iPhone and in that case you could still get an iPhone 4 if you wanted one, just not in white.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Soli said:
    Because they were announced way back in September and Apple said they would be available in late October. At this point they might as well wait until they can be fully ramped up and stocked up online and in stores. If they go online and immediately there's a 4-6 week shipping delay it's just going to piss people off even more. Apple had no problem putting out a press release when the white iPhone 4 was delayed. They should have done the same thing here.
    1) How long after Jobs announced the white iPhone 4 did they finally put out an announcement for the delay? How detailed was that announcement, as I seem to recall people still waiting to upgrade because they wanted the elusive white iPhone?

2) Did they do so for the revamped Mac Pro which I think technically finally launched before the end of the year, but in such low volume that I think forum poster digitalclips was one of the first to order and still didn't get it under after the new year, if memory serves. And let's remember that this is already a very low volume item—perhaps even Apple's lowest volume product.

3) Shit happens. It's not ideal. Apple certainly don't like it, but it happens. If bitching about Apple letting you down because you wanted to impress family and friends is your biggest concern in life then you've got a really great life or you need to get your priorities straightened out.

Addendum: Apple announced and demoed the white iPhone 4 at WWDC on 07 June 2010. They released a statement about its delay until the following Spring on 26 October 2010. That's 142 days, or 4 months and 20 days after it was announced.

By comparison, the AirPods you're bellyaching about were only announced on 07 September 2016 and Apple stated they would be delated on 26 October 2016. That's only 50 days, or 1 month and 20 days. So, yes, Apple did announce the delay which destroys your point, it's only an accessory not people holding off on buying a new iPhone, and it was nearly 1/3th less time before the announcement.

To put things into more perspective, for Apple to go to the same 142 day mark before announcing a delay, that would bring them to 26 January 2017—and that's just the announcement of the delay, not the shipping of the product which happened 10 months after the initial announcement.
    edited December 2016 mike1smiffy31StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 47
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Soli said:
    When Apple would do MacWorld Keynotes in January, they'd constantly miss holiday sales by releasing and shipping new products in January. This would happen all the time and everything was always okay. I doubt BT headphones would be any different. If anything, there's also the after Christmas sales as well. People get money, gift cards, etc for Christmas and want to spend on something they want. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 20 of 47
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    eightzero said:
    blastdoor said:

Garbage -- the 7 is fully functional now, today, and at launch. BT works just fine as do the other W1 headphones already available. 
    ...from somebody else. The 7 is designed to be a wireless product, yet you couldn't buy wireless earbuds the same day the product shipped.