Apple iTunes Store, App Stores inaccessible to some customers [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2016
Apple's various online storefronts were hit with an apparent service outage on Monday, with affected users unable to purchase music, movies, apps and other media since approximately 12:15 p.m. Pacific.

Apple acknowledged the downtime via its System Status webpage, which as of this writing classifies "some users" as impacted by an apparent iTunes Store issue.

The company failed to specify the origin of today's troubles, but notes users in certain areas may be unable to purchase content from the iTunes Store, as well as apps from the iOS and Mac App Stores. Unlike recent iCloud sign in issues, the iTunes Store problem appears to affect only a small subset of Apple's customer base.

Apple is working to resolve the outage, though the company has yet to furnish an estimated completion timeline.

The iTunes and App Store downtime comes just hours after Apple released a slew of operating system updates including iOS 10.2, watchOS 3.1.1 and tvOS 10.1. Of note for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, the latest OS versions deliver Apple's new TV app, which promises a unified viewing experience across multiple standalone streaming apps.

Update: The issue was resolved at around 2:20 p.m. Pacific.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Yupp here in Canada BC unable to GET or UPDATE apps 

update:  able to update apps now
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Yeah, I think it's still continues. Just about 20 minutes ago, I tried updating one of my apps and I got a message stating the iTunes Store server wasn't connected. It's now working since 5 minutes ago.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    timprd88timprd88 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    i was told by  an apple support Advisor to reset my apple tv to help with sign in issue now i am stuck i cant sign in to app store or itunes on my apple tv   
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 4 of 6
    My iPhone showed apps needing updating but the apps wouldn't update over-the-air. 
    I connected my iPhone to my MacBook's iTunes and couldn't update the apps there either.
    There was also an iOS update wanting to be installed in iTunes.
    Once I downloaded and then installed the iOS update (as 2 separate actions), the apps updated normally.
    It could be that the apps needing updates wouldn't run without the iOS update.
    Anyway, the iOS update was accomplished without problems.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I had some music downloads in the pipe when the service went down. These failed music downloads constipated the whole works and even when the service came back up I wasn't able to update anything else like apps and IOS. Once I aborted the music downloads that failed in-flight the app updates seem to be working. I know it's only anecdotal but I've seen more Apple service outages in the past few months than ever before, to the point of having to call Apple iCloud support to resolve the issues. To their credit they always seem to be able to work it out using whatever back office tools they have because some of the customer facing tools that are supposed to work, like adding and removing devices for iCloud and iTunes, are simply dead and nonfunctional in the customer accessible UI. I basically have to contact Apple support to manage my devices. The only thing that keeps me from ripping Apple on its steady stream of software bugs is the excellent customer support I receive. The Apple support team is saving the company's bacon these days - for me at least.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    7:39 PM EST, still not fully resolved. Just picked up my iP7+ and trying to update all my apps in iTunes so I can sync and backup before restoring to new phone. It has been a very painful 1.5 hours trying to get the updates to complete. Some download, some fail, some download, some fail, rinse and repeat. 

Worst possible day for them to have app store issues (from my own selfish perspective).

Edit: hmm, just updated some US app store apps and they came in OK. Current problems might be the Canadian store.
    edited December 2016