Apple TV's tvOS updated to 10.1 with new 'TV' app, single sign-on, bug fixes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
In conjunction with the full releases of iOS 10.2 and watchOS 3.1.1, Apple has made available the full tvOS 10.1 release for the fourth-generation Apple TV, giving users of the set-top box access to the new "TV" app, as well as single sign-on support for cable subscribers.

The update is now available to all fourth-generation Apple TVs through Software Update in the native Settings app. It can also be installed through a connection to iTunes with a USB-A to USB-C cable.

The previous 10.1 betas, and this release, now includes the previously-announced single sign-on. The feature lets people enter their cable, satellite, or streaming TV credentials once, and have them automatically entered into third-party apps that require subscription account information. Early AppleInsider testing shows fewer instances of the Apple TV "forgetting" the password, requiring user re-entry.

Also included with tvOS 10.1, is Apple's new "TV" app. The app is designed with discovery in mind, making it easier for users to find content across providers, including the user's own library of media.

Results from Siri searches now allow users to jump straight into live streams, as long as the supporting apps are installed.

Apple has not as of yet provided a change list for the system software update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    This update enables 4k video, right? RIGHT? 

ready go
    fh-ace
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Haven't checked mine yet, but I read that single sign-on wasn't available in Canada
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I have tried several times to use single sign in for my Directv account.  I have ATT combined billing and neither of the 2 user id's or passwords work.  Does anyone have similar troubles?  I updated to the new TVOS which has the TV app but it still does not work.

• Reply 4 of 16
    Hopefully it won't be long before DirecTVNOW is included. Doesn't like there should be anything holding this back...you can already authenticate in a dozen apps manually using it.
    gocolts1818
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Shakes169, YES. First of all, every time AT&T merges or buys another company, CHAOS ensues. I have been through Cingular, Pacific Bell, and now DirecTV mergers and Its always the same. And yes, I have combined billing and neither passwords worked and it took about a ver tedious hour on the phone to get things right. DirecTV and AT&T maintain separate webpages and neither knows what the other is doing. Good luck.

libertyforallwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Haven't checked mine yet, but I read that single sign-on wasn't available in Canada

This update doesn't have too much for Canadians, on the surface. I'm sure there are bug fixes and what not, but the two key features of this are not available to us. Kinda sucks, but it is what it is. Maybe in the future.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    shakes169 said:
    I have tried several times to use single sign in for my Directv account.  I have ATT combined billing and neither of the 2 user id's or passwords work.  Does anyone have similar troubles?  I updated to the new TVOS which has the TV app but it still does not work.

Same problem. No solution found yet. Others reporting same problem on ATT forum. 
  • Reply 8 of 16

This update doesn't have too much for Canadians, on the surface. I'm sure there are bug fixes and what not, but the two key features of this are not available to us. Kinda sucks, but it is what it is. Maybe in the future.
    Curious: can Canadians airplay a live stream from the CBC Sports app to tvOS10.1?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Shakes169, YES. First of all, every time AT&T merges or buys another company, CHAOS ensues. I have been through Cingular, Pacific Bell, and now DirecTV mergers and Its always the same. And yes, I have combined billing and neither passwords worked and it took about a ver tedious hour on the phone to get things right. DirecTV and AT&T maintain separate webpages and neither knows what the other is doing. Good luck.

I had the same issue months ago. And it was a pain. Several phone calls between Directv and AT&T to resolve it. And you are right Directv said it was due to the merger and the system still being 'buggy'. Hope Shakes 169 gets it sorted it out. Suffice to say it's not Apple's fault. 
    edited December 2016 lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16

Did ATT know the proper login or was it a DirecTV rep?  I can't seem to get a rep who has a clue!!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Oh, so you just regurgitate any BS that you find on the web?

The new TV App is quite nice.  Try using it on different devices after connecting the Apps. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    davendaven Posts: 696member

The new TV App is quite nice.  Try using it on different devices after connecting the Apps. 
    I agree with one part of the review... That the app is nice for cord cutters. I'm a cord cutter and I linked other apps to it and my first impressions are good. I didn't play with it much though. I got sidetracked by the photos app which does really nice 'best of the day' and 'best of xyz trip' little video presentations automatically. It has some really interesting logic built into it for picking photos and video clips and combining them. I wish there was some way to export the video clips it makes. I couldn't find an export option.
  • Reply 14 of 16

No I've actually used it. It's a mess. And don't even get me started on the fact that the iPad TV doesn't display local content when wifi is turned on. You have to go into airplane mode to see it (even though in settings it clearly shows this stuff is on your device). Of course that's a bug but did people not QA/QC this app before releasing the iOS update? When I launched it on my Apple TV it only showed one content app. But no where did it say my others weren't showing because I wasn't logged into them. So I had to log into each one and maybe 30% supported SSO even though they all support DirecTV and DirecTV supports SSO. The other 70% made me go to a website and put in an activation code. And most, if not all of these apps were ones I had previously been logged into. So somehow the software update logged me out of all of them. Horrible user experience. The only thing I can think of is Eddy Cue and Tim Cook didn't actually use this product from start to finish before they signed off on it. Very reminiscent of when the new Apple TV launched without the remote app or BT keyboard support and everyone had to enter in passwords using the stupid physical remote. Another horrible experience.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    eightzero said:

Curious: can Canadians airplay a live stream from the CBC Sports app to tvOS10.1?
    Yes. I tried it a few months ago. The problem is that you have to keep your iPhone awake or playback stops when the iPhone sleeps. Why CBC hasn't made their sports app for tvOS yet I don't know. They have their News app already for tvOS.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    zantafiozantafio Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Before the update I could tell Siri:
    "Play the last episode of South Park"

and the Hulu app would open and start playing the last episode of South Park. It just worked. You could not make it easier, I loved it.

After this update, when I tell Siri
    "Play the last episode of South Park"

1) I am presented with a screen where I have to select the "open in" icon
    2) then select "open in Hulu" on a second screen
    3) then select the box "episodes" on a third screen
    4) then scroll all the way to the right to get to the last episode
    5) then click play button

So this update has basically anihilated the ease of use provided by Siri. Great job guys. I want to downgrade so badly.