iOS 10.2 improves Apple HomeKit with expanded smart home notifications

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2016
Monday's release of iOS 10.2 brought meaningful changes to Apple's HomeKit platform, giving users the ability to receive instant alerts for a variety of new connected device types in their home.

iOS 10.2 adds support for notifications from a variety of HomeKit accessories, including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door and window detectors, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leak sensors.

By default, upon updating to iOS 10.2, users will begin receiving notifications from devices that now support the feature.

These can be enabled or disabled by opening Apple's Home app and selecting the appropriate device via firm press on 3D Touch devices, or long press on non-3D Touch devices. Tap the "Details" button at the bottom, and then scroll down to "Status and Notifications."

Here, users can decide whether the accessory will send notifications every time a sensor is triggered. This can allow the user to receive alerts no matter where they are, such as if a HomeKit smoke detector or motion sensor were triggered.

In addition, iOS 10.2 also adds the ability for HomeKit accessories to send a notification to users when an update is available. This will make it easier for users to keep their devices running the latest firmware, without the need to manually check for updates via a third-party app.

Apple announced in October that it expects to have more than 100 HomeKit-compatible accessories available on the market by the end of this year. Device maker support has been slow due in part to Apple's requirements for a proprietary HomeKit chip, which helps to secure smart home devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    100 devices by the end of this year? Only about 80 left to go. They have 16 days. Should be quite a wild ride then!
    larryjwbuckalecjohn.blibertyforalllostkiwiblastdoor
  • Reply 2 of 12
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I'm getting dizzy from the vapors. 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Jörg WißemannJörg Wißemann Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    Actually, they only it for their own Home app but do not offer an API to the notification switch for developers :(
    john.blibertyforall
  • Reply 4 of 12
    StevevukStevevuk Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Went to Apple Store in Birmingham UK last week, they didn't have a single HomeKit item for sale, typical example of Apple these days, coming up with new idea's then leave them to wither and die unloved as they move onto the next big thing (anyone remember I Beacons) great idea I've never seen used once out in the wild, every shopping centre / sports stadium / etc should be full of them by now. Apple should be churning out there own HomeKit items to cover every eventuality by now at cheap prices to really launch the idea with the general public, before a handful of over priced bits of kit are left to go the way of ibeacons.
    [Deleted User]blastdoorpatchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Stevevuk said:
    Went to Apple Store in Birmingham UK last week, they didn't have a single HomeKit item for sale, typical example of Apple these days, coming up with new idea's then leave them to wither and die unloved as they move onto the next big thing (anyone remember I Beacons) great idea I've never seen used once out in the wild, every shopping centre / sports stadium / etc should be full of them by now. Apple should be churning out there own HomeKit items to cover every eventuality by now at cheap prices to really launch the idea with the general public, before a handful of over priced bits of kit are left to go the way of ibeacons.
    I call BS on this...Every single Apple Store I've ever been in has had at least Phillips Hue stuff, along with a door lock set that is HomeKit compatible. Apple doesn't need to do what others are already doing. Why compete with them when they can focus on the technology behind it instead of trying to create products to beat others?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    There's this thing called the Internet where if you look, you can find a great many HomeKit compatible devices. I was in an Apple Store a week ago and there were a few HomeKit compatible products. 

Smart home gear is slow to get off the ground but it's getting better. And it wasn't that long ago where HomeKit compatibility didn't exist. Manufacturers didn't want to pay the money. But it's a lot different now and getting better.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    HomeKit products are pretty darned expensive. That would be fine if it all was really useful and "just worked." Instead, it seems that much of it is novelty, and it only intermittently "just works." 

Apple should have come out with a few exemplar first party products that really demonstrate the potential of HomeKit. But of course Apple can only manage to keep one or two product lines up to date, so that would be too much for them. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Actually, they only it for their own Home app but do not offer an API to the notification switch for developers :(
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-diy-siri-controlled-wi-fi-light/ allows you to do some limited stuff though
  • Reply 9 of 12
    blastdoor said:
    HomeKit products are pretty darned expensive. That would be fine if it all was really useful and "just worked." Instead, it seems that much of it is novelty, and it only intermittently "just works." 

Apple should have come out with a few exemplar first party products that really demonstrate the potential of HomeKit. But of course Apple can only manage to keep one or two product lines up to date, so that would be too much for them. 
    Do you remember Microsoft and Samsung's "Smart Homes" initiatives? Home automation is hard, and integration with your IT ecosystem is harder. I think Apple does a real good job, and eventually they will get it right.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    Does anyone have a good list of HomeKit compatible hardware? Last time I did a search I turned up nothing. 
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    blastdoor said:

Do you remember Microsoft and Samsung's "Smart Homes" initiatives? Home automation is hard, and integration with your IT ecosystem is harder. I think Apple does a real good job, and eventually they will get it right.
    Company's have been trying to get Home Automation right for years!!! I had some x10 stuff a number of years ago and it had it's own issues. Home automation has gone back since the 50's or something. Apple getting into is is not going to change things overnight. I think the tech is at a point where it'll take off. I'm held off for the most point. Taking a wait and see what happens approach.