Low, or no stock of AirPods expected at retail, online orders already pushed to 2017

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Confirming earlier reports of very limited availability of the AirPods, most Apple Retail stores won't have any floor stock to sell before Christmas, and online order estimated deliveries have already fallen to early 2017 at the soonest.

Apple's long-awaited AirPods are now available to purchase from the company's online store, with the first orderers being told that the purchases will arrive just days before Christmas. Those holding out for an in-person purchase may be out of luck, however.

AppleInsider has learned that very few Apple Retail stores will have any units in stock before Christmas and the new year. Out of 10 stores surveyed, only two "might" get stock to sell before the holiday, with the other eight not expecting any stock at all until well into January.

Additionally, only hours after release, the Apple webpage page for the AirPods notes that orders made now won't ship for four weeks, meaning orders won't arrive in time for Christmas or before the end of the calendar year.

Additionally, other retail establishments like Best Buy and Target aren't expecting any, with one Target store we spoke to telling us that they weren't expecting any stock at all of the sought-after peripheral until late February.

Last week, one report claimed Apple may be having trouble syncing audio between the wireless left and right earpieces of the W1-powered AirPods. But other reports from early review units suggested there were no such syncing issues.

The same W1 chip is also featured in the previously-launched Powerbeats3 and Beats Solo3 Wireless headphones, and will also be featured in the forthcoming BeatsX, though the latter won't ship until February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Plenty available on eBay...I see some at $500.

And you'll be able to get them direct from Apple in time for Christmas...2017. 

I wonder what really happened here. 
    albegarc
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Singapore is still setting for delivery next week on the Tuesday, 20th Dec. 
  • Reply 3 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    eightzero said:
    Lots of sales, in lots of countries, and seemingly without any restrictions on the number of units you can buy at once.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 37
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    eightzero said:
    Plenty available on eBay...I see some at $500.

And you'll be able to get them direct from Apple in time for Christmas...2017. 

They've had review units available since September. Users gave them generally favorable reviews. I also saw some in the wild in October while passing by the Apple campus. Low yield and high demand are the likely reason. 
    cali
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Lots of sales, in lots of countries, and seemingly without any restrictions on the number of units you can buy at once.
    Y'know, if Apple announced they had plenty in stock, folk would be screaming that no one wants them. 
    Solipscooter63equality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 37
    German Apple Store did raise from 1 week to two weeks. But it is just a question of probably hours till we see 4 weeks here as well. Or company did order some. As of now they are scheduled for 20th.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Just placed my order now Jan 17 2017 delivery date ☹️
  • Reply 8 of 37
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Y'know, if Apple announced they had plenty in stock, folk would be screaming that no one wants them. 
    There actually is something to that. MBA types will tell you about the value of scarcity. This seems more like a strategic goof though. Did the engineering team bite off more than they can chew? Was the production validation process under estimated? We're key individuals distracted with making back door encryption available to law enforcement? Who knows.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    eightzero said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    There actually is something to that. MBA types will tell you about the value of scarcity. This seems more like a strategic goof though. Did the engineering team bite off more than they can chew? Was the production validation process under estimated? We're key individuals distracted with making back door encryption available to law enforcement? Who knows.
    I have an MBA  and the value of scarcity in the Xmas shopping season is non existent.  This is a major failure for Apple.  People will buy from the competition.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    cropr said:
    eightzero said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    I have an MBA  and the value of scarcity in the Xmas shopping season is non existent.  This is a major failure for Apple.  People will buy from the competition.
    How is this a failure? Would you rather have Apple rush a product like Samsung (We all know how that turned out for them) or wait until a product is actually ready for consumers? 
    mac_128Metriacanthosauruscalipscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jsmythe00 said:
    SMH. If I wasn't so anti Samsung I'd try theirs. Saw the vids for their wireless sets. Pretty cool. 

These things better be worth the wait. I'm not having buyers remorse like I did the latest Apple TV. 
    1) You mean their Gear IconX for $200? I'm not "so anti Samsung" so I'd be willing to pay the premium since I do prefer in-earphones, and since your statement implies that they are on the same level of connectivity with iOS 10, watchOS 3, and macOS Sierra devices as with Apple and Beats headphones with the W1 chip. Is that what you're trying to say with your mention of Samsung?

2) And if the AirPods–which I'm questioning you've even purchased as you come across as a concern troll—don't have the value you expected for $160, you'll do what? Bitch? Moan? How about just return them, like a normal consumer?
    mac_128calipscooter63nhtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Obviously people want AirPods. That won't stop people from claiming Apple is faking shortages to hype the product without ever considering production rates or demand. Originally it was said those AirPods were so ugly, no one would want them sticking out of their ears. Let's see how many other companies try to copy that same design in order to make knock-offs. Apple is in a lose-lose situation when it comes to people's reactions.
    edited December 2016 Metriacanthosauruscaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 37
    I'm glad I don't need these. I have a pair of $100 JBL wireless that work just fine. Maybe by version 2 or 3 they'll have the kinks worked out.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Interesting, looking at the Australian store, it's offering delivery on 19th December 2016. I wonder why we can get them on Monday, but the US was only getting them on Wednesday?

I wasn't planning on buying any, especially given they're A$229 (exchange rate and taxes). I can't really afford it, plus I'm travelling on Monday, so having stuff delivered would be a pain.

• Reply 15 of 37
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    cropr said:
    eightzero said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    People will also buy again if they are aware that the Apple version is actually the better product, and I'm not seeing the pricing being a barrier to that.

Yeah, it's a false start to be late, but as people that have been using them since the announcement have had great results, I'll side with Gruber on the manufacturing issues, not design, as being the culprit. Once manufacturing hits its stride, this will be forgotten and sales will likely be very good for Apple.

caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    cropr said:
    eightzero said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    How is this a failure? Would you rather have Apple rush a product like Samsung (We all know how that turned out for them) or wait until a product is actually ready for consumers? 
    It doesn't have to be one or the other. I think people are complaining that Apple should have planned this better, and should have been more transparent in the process. Some people bought the iPhone 7 despite not having a headphone jack because Apple announced that a month later, they would introduce a companion wireless headphone that ameliorated most of the concerns people using headphones had. Then didn't deliver for 3 months without a word, and most who were waiting still likely won't get until 2017.
    caliavon b7
  • Reply 17 of 37
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mac_128 said:
    cropr said:
    eightzero said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    It doesn't have to be one or the other. I think people are complaining that Apple should have planned this better, and should have been more transparent in the process. Some people bought the iPhone 7 despite not having a headphone jack because Apple announced that a month later, they would introduce a companion wireless headphone that ameliorated most of the concerns people using headphones had. Then didn't deliver for 3 months without a word, and most who were waiting still likely won't get until 2017.
    Apple should not discuss production problems, and that is why they don't. Those customers who know how the real world works will deal with it. Those who want to make a big deal out of unforseeable difficulties can just unroll some more rope for themselves.
    MetriacanthosaurusStrangeDayscalimac_128pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Well, I'll shut up now.  Basically, they pulled it out in the final seconds of the game.  Hope they sell billions and billion - Sorry, reading a Carl Sagan bio.  

Now, I want an Apple toothbrush!
    mwhitealbegarcpscooter63
  • Reply 19 of 37
    I'm glad I don't need these. I have a pair of $100 JBL wireless that work just fine. Maybe by version 2 or 3 they'll have the kinks worked out.
    What kinks?

Hint: there are none.
    calialbegarcpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 37
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The kinks have been worked out so you don't have to wait that long.
    watto_cobra