Apple releases iTunes 12.5.4 with support for 'TV' app, improved Touch Bar input

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple on Tuesday issued an update for its iTunes media suite, adding support for the new "TV" app on iOS and tvOS, and also enhancing Touch Bar capabilities with the new MacBook Pro.

iTunes 12.5.4 is now available for download direct from Apple, or via software update in the Mac App Store. In the release notes, Apple mentions support for the new "TV" app, as well as the MacBook Pro Touch Bar, but does not offer any additional details.

The new MacBook Pro shipped with built-in support for iTunes in its new dynamic Touch Bar. New MacBook Pros shipped with an earlier version of iTunes installed, though Touch Bar support was buggy.

Apple's release notes don't say how iTunes 12.5.4 improves Touch Bar support, beyond noting that the scrubber can be used to "easily go to different parts of songs, movies, TV shows and more."

iTunes 12.5.4 also includes minor app and performance improvements, Apple said. The previous update, iTunes 12.5.3, was released in late October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Can someone test if this adds support for home sharing?  I.e. If home sharing is on in iTunes 12.5.4 does the TV app in TVOS on AppleTV now search iTunes home sharing content?  That's the missing link - otherwise I don't see the point in upgrading.  
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    arthurba said:
    Can someone test if this adds support for home sharing?  I.e. If home sharing is on in iTunes 12.5.4 does the TV app in TVOS on AppleTV now search iTunes home sharing content?  That's the missing link - otherwise I don't see the point in upgrading.  
     You should always update. There are zero reasons not to except for old wives tales and vodoo. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    lkrupp said:
    arthurba said:
     You should always update. There are zero reasons not to except for old wives tales and vodoo. 
    Quite the contrary - you should first be sure the update doesn't break or remove something you highly value. 
    arthurba
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Bring back Front Row!
    jSnivelyarthurba