Apple CEO Tim Cook meeting with Donald Trump, Elon Musk privately after NYC tech summit

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Trump's tweet tonight will be:
    "Apple's electric car will be HUGE, and made in the USA!!!"
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Trumps tweet tonight will be:
    And it won't even be made by Apple.

jSnivelyben20slprescottclock07
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Say what you will, but I think having Trump over Hillary will be great for our country.  Trump wants to make changes and get things done.  Hillary would have been another 4 years of Obama among other failed things. I don't personally like Trump, but I like what he is trying to do!
    edited December 2016 SpamSandwichdonjuancwingravicoco3
  • Reply 24 of 35
    cashxx said:
    Say what you will, but I think having Trump over Hillary will be great for our country.  Trump wants to make changes and get things done.  Hillary would have been another 4 years of Obama among other failed things. I don't personally like Trump, but I like what he is trying to do!
    High hopes for American businesses (and not just the large, connected-to-Washington ones).
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Winning big league!
    President-Elect Trump is wrong about one thing... I'm not going to get tired of winning. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 26 of 35
    icoco3 said:
    Trump will be the dumbest person in attendance.
    If he can be that dumb and worth $10 billion, what is your excuse?  :) /s
    He is worth actually 3.7 billion, and that ranks 324 in billionaires' list. http://www.forbes.com/profile/donald-trump/

• Reply 27 of 35
    Trumps tweet tonight will be:
    And it won't even be made by Apple.

Tesla should free a dedicated area in one of its factories for maglev AppleCar. Not that they will reach that deal immediately, but if their consecutive meetings keep on occurring regularly, then we just might hope seeing such a veh rolling out in near term. " With a little help from our friends" , of course. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 28 of 35
    johnbear said:
    icoco3 said:
    He is worth actually 3.7 billion, and that ranks 324 in billionaires' list. http://www.forbes.com/profile/donald-trump/

Obviously that's just an estimate. They don't have access to all of Trump's records. Most estimates range from 3-10 billion dollars.
    icoco3
  • Reply 29 of 35
    johnbear said:
    icoco3 said:

Obviously that's just an estimate. They don't have access to all of Trump's records. Most estimates range from 3-10 billion dollars.
    Indeed, and who cares what the exact number is, or thinks it makes any difference anyway. One does not have to agree with him, but, folks that run about claiming his ignorance are forming a special class of stupid. The point is that the Donald is about to be inaugurated making him the most powerful man in the world, no matter how much money he's worth. It would not be smart to avoid meetings with him when given the opportunity. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Cook didn't waste any time getting over the HRC defeat. He knows he needs to figure out what makes Trump tick and get in a position where he gets those big Trump thumbs up. Because if he doesn't, the consequences for Apple could be huge. He needs to know Trump's true thinking on China trade relations, import duty changes, sanctions on off-shore manufacturing, etc.

I see Cook being a frequent visitor to the White House and the Trump Towers.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Apple will promise to manufacture electric Apple Cars in the US, if Trump allows them to bring back their $180 billion at a low tax rate provided they invest most of it which will them be earmarked for highway infrastructure including electrical charging stations.   Even if it is a 40 billion dollar bomb, better than a 40 billion dollar tax bill.
    It is far more likely that the economies of scale does not work for any specific product. If Apple builds anything at all in the US it will be Mac Pro's and AppleTV's. Reason:

- Apple currently is not building a compelling Professional product. Most of the market for Pro machines are special effects houses in LA, California, NY, New York and a few places in Vancouver and Montreal in Canada
    - TV devices tend to be customized for each market, so if AppleTV could be combined into some Cable/IPTV VOD systems here, that is something that will only sell here. Typically TV products for the US market have features that are useless outside the US (cable card, requirements to support analog and digital antennas) where as Asian markets and European markets tend to favor DTH satellite dish systems, which is again, something market-centric.

it is not likely that iPhones will be built in the US because like Brazil the only way that would be cost effective is if the import tariff was greater than 50%, and then instead of getting models for Verizon and Sprint, they will all be AT&T models/unlocked only and only come in 32GB size in one color.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    apple ][ said:

That is so weird the media is livestreaming the elevators from the lobby of Trump Tower. 
    They've been doing that ever since he won.

Trump tower has become like a fortress now. It's also become a very popular tourist attraction. 

I think it's funny how all sorts of people, including people that were against him, are now making the pilgrimage to the holy golden tower in order to meet with the emperor. o:)
    Where should they meet? The Port Authority Bus Terminal?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    felix01 said:
    Cook didn't waste any time getting over the HRC defeat. He knows he needs to figure out what makes Trump tick and get in a position where he gets those big Trump thumbs up. Because if he doesn't, the consequences for Apple could be huge. He needs to know Trump's true thinking on China trade relations, import duty changes, sanctions on off-shore manufacturing, etc.

Apple could be hurt by Trump's China policies but Boeing is probably the company at most risk.

That said, there's more than a bit of gamesmanship and bluffing regarding Taiwan.  It should be interesting (in the Chinese curse way) how this all pans out.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    felix01 said:

MOST important, Cook needs to get Trump to understand that weakened iOS encryption would be a MAJOR security threat to the US.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Trump's cards are held close to his vest, unlike some who lay them all out on the table for everyone to see in advance of any outcome. That's the manner of gamesmanship that usually prevails. 
    SpamSandwich