AirPods unboxed: Apple's other new wearable of the future

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I'll wait for BlueTooth 5.x devices to start appearing , but hopefully Apple has upped the ante on other Manufacturers.   
    I wonder how much this is based on the 5.0 spec or similar to the 5.0 spec.
  • Reply 22 of 49

I can't get the normal ear pods to stay in my ears for more than a few minutes, even sitting still.  I can't imagine paying $160 dollars for ones with the same design.

And yes, I have tried to reduce the weight by stringing the wire up over my ears.  Doesn't work either.

king editor the gratepte appledtb200
  • Reply 23 of 49
    ilan said:
    Hi Daniel Eran Dilger can I ask you out of curiosity how did you get those AirPods? Are these kind of those review units sent out in September? Or you got an early delivery from Apple in these days for the review? Or this review had been prepared back in September but published now, after the availability of the AirPods? Or? As said, it's only out of curiosity. Thanks! Ilan
    I was just wondering the same thing, a bit suspect ;) , great writ up as allwayse though Dan thanks
  • Reply 24 of 49
    I find EarPods to be the most secure and comfortable ear pieces I've ever used, and I expect the same out of the set of AirPods I ordered the other day (which are due to arrive on the 21st). 

Every once-in-awhile I have dropped my iPhone from my hands while listening to podcasts via EarPods, and the iPhone disconnects from the headphone jack with quite a yank, yet the EarPods remain in my ears. 

I also listen to podcasts while going to sleep and more often than not, when I awaken in the morning, the EarPods are still in place. 

I'm sure there are some people who have outer ear architecture that don't mesh with Apple's designs, but I bet they fit at least 98% of the populace. 
    pte applemagman1979
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Considering the number of times my Earpods have fallen from my ears and been save by the cord, I think I'll stick with being old-timey.
    dtb200viclauyyc
  • Reply 26 of 49
    BASE - how is the base?
    If the base isn't there then no no no! 
    Yes, MATTE black would be the it - but will wait for feedback on base - a lot of money for something you could lose due to fall out.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I find EarPods to be the most secure and comfortable ear pieces I've ever used, and I expect the same out of the set of AirPods I ordered the other day (which are due to arrive on the 21st). 

Every once-in-awhile I have dropped my iPhone from my hands while listening to podcasts via EarPods, and the iPhone disconnects from the headphone jack with quite a yank, yet the EarPods remain in my ears. 

I also listen to podcasts while going to sleep and more often than not, when I awaken in the morning, the EarPods are still in place. 

I'm sure there are some people who have outer ear architecture that don't mesh with Apple's designs, but I bet they fit at least 98% of the populace. 
    The EarPods fit my ears perfectly. And every time the iPhone has fallen with my headphones plugged in, they are ripped from my ears, sometimes painfully -- the cord has never, ever disconnected from the phone; it is far too tight. The cord has never saved my iPhone from falling -- in fact it's almost always made it worse as the cord tends to get tangled up in the fall -- and it's never disconnected. Ever. If yours does this, I have to imagine you have a loose headphone jack.

Considering the number of times my Earpods have fallen from my ears and been save by the cord, I think I'll stick with being old-timey.
    I would argue the EarPods fell out of your ear because of the cord. That's what I almost always found if the EarPod fell out of my ear -- not so much fell as pulled out by the force of the cord twisting against it.

For anyone who is worried about the AirPods falling out of their ears spontaneously, why not try them before pre-judging them as unacceptable? 
  • Reply 28 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Thanks for making your competition US only again guys. Great to know you value your international participants—16k post later.
    edited December 2016 holyone
  • Reply 29 of 49
    There is only one question anyone cares about: do they stay in your ear?

All buds fall out of my ears. Only in-ear 'phones stay in, and only until I start to exercise, at which point, out they come.

With no strap or over-the-ear, I can't imagine how I could stop these from falling out all the time.
    dtb200viclauyyc
  • Reply 30 of 49
    I really enjoy Dan's articles and appearances on the Ai Podcasts. Specifically, I enjoy his knowledge of Apple's history. A history I've lived for the last 20+ years. 

Best
    magman1979
  • Reply 31 of 49
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    ireland said:
    Thanks for making your competition US only again guys. Great to know you value your international participants—16k post later.
    This is mostly just because of legal crap. You would be surprised the amount of hoops we have to jump through just to give something away "properly". Sorry
  • Reply 32 of 49
    While it surely depends on your ears, this video shows them sticking in ear very well:

jSnivelyration almac_128
  • Reply 33 of 49
    My daughter yesterday ordered some for me for Christmas....on Apple site, 4 weeks delivery. Can't wait to get them. :)
  • Reply 34 of 49
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

All buds fall out of my ears. Only in-ear 'phones stay in, and only until I start to exercise, at which point, out they come.

With no strap or over-the-ear, I can't imagine how I could stop these from falling out all the time.
    I certainly hope they stay in mine, since I ordered them:)  If not, I am sure I can recoup my money.

That said, I have never had an issue with the most recent generation of EarPods.  They have only come out of my ears when the cord gets tangled on something.  So I am hopeful.  Really hoping they are good for many activities, though as long as they are OK in the gym for the machines or workouts, it covers most of the activity I need for them their.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    While it surely depends on your ears, this video shows them sticking in ear very well:

In the near future children will need "braces" for their ear cartilage so they ensure a great fit for stayability and sound.
    mac_128
  • Reply 36 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

brucemc said:

I certainly hope they stay in mine, since I ordered them:)  If not, I am sure I can recoup my money.

That said, I have never had an issue with the most recent generation of EarPods.  They have only come out of my ears when the cord gets tangled on something.  So I am hopeful.  Really hoping they are good for many activities, though as long as they are OK in the gym for the machines or workouts, it covers most of the activity I need for them their.
    I'm in the same boat. I quite like both my in-earphone from Apple and my bone-conducting Bluez Afershockz, and never use the included headphones that have come with iPods and iPhones. Well, not never—I did try out the EarPods once they were redesigned. They were better, but still was very uncomfortable for long-term usage. I hope these work great for me.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    bd7349bd7349 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I wonder if these would work for gaming on the Playstation 4? I'm not a fan of traditional gaming headsets so I would much rather use something like this. 
    If PS4 supports bluetooth headsets then I don't see why it wouldn't. 
  • Reply 38 of 49
    For some reason, I'm glad they are not under the Beats name. :)
  • Reply 39 of 49
    mac_128 said:
    ... because of the cord. That's what I almost always found if the EarPod fell out of my ear -- not so much fell as pulled out by the force of the cord twisting against it.
    Huh. I can buy that theory!
    dtb200
  • Reply 40 of 49

I can't get the normal ear pods to stay in my ears for more than a few minutes, even sitting still.  I can't imagine paying $160 dollars for ones with the same design.

And yes, I have tried to reduce the weight by stringing the wire up over my ears.  Doesn't work either.

Totally agree - had the same experience