Apple charging $69 to replace lost buds for owners of AirPods

Posted:
in General Discussion
Dealing with a lost AirPod will be an expensive proposition, though still slightly less than half the cost of buying a new pair, according to an updated Apple support document.

Replacing a lost or damaged AirPod -- or the charging case -- will cost $69 in the U.S., the company says. A complete AirPod set normally retails for $159.

By default the fully wireless headphones come with a one-year warranty, which covers not just audio defects but any battery problems. Outside of this period, standard repairs are $69, while battery service is $49.

Apple launched AirPod sales on Tuesday after a long delay. Whether due to low production numbers, high demand, or both, stock is already in short supply, resulting in six-week shipping delays -- longer even than for a top-of-the-line MacBook Pro.

The AirPods feature Apple's W1 wireless chip, which offers extended Bluetooth range, and simpler pairing on Apple devices, including the ability to pair with multiple devices simultaneously. The W1 is also in two of Apple's Beats products, the Solo3 and Powerbeats3, which shipped this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Now here's one occasion where $69 sounds justified.

Unlike most of the other Schiller pricing decisions these days. I'm reminded one time of a friend from years ago who was learning his trade and a woman in a wealthy neighbourhood ask his boss to quote her a price for a new roof on her house and he said he'd go out to the van and make some calculations (after he looked at her house). So my friend was present in the van and he said the guy thought what this job should cost (a fair price) and when he got that figure he doubled it and then added on a bit. Full sure she might say no, she said, "good, when can you start". Sometimes when I see the price of things coming out of Cupertino these days I imagine Schiller doing the same: fair price, now let's double it and add on a bit: €114 to cover the front and back of an iPad mini 4 in silicone. They should offer a leather Apple Smart Case for this product and it should be €49 (max €59). They don't offer such an option purely out of greed. Same with their phones, the flagship models keep creeping up every year over here and while vat has increased by 2% here the $ is far more valuable toward the euro than it was a few years back. My sister asked me if I was getting an iPhone 7 (did you see the new iPhone? Are you getting one?) and I laughed out loud. Starts at €779—almost an €800 starting price here. /rant
    edited December 2016 tallest skilavon b7
  • Reply 2 of 29
    When the AirPods are paired with multiple devices simultaneously, how do they decide which device takes priority? Can the user override the default prioritization? How?

I assume only one device at a time can stream content to the AirPods.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    I have a feeling I am missing something basic here: how does this prevent someone from abusing the system, i.e., claiming their AirPods + Charger have been lost, then asking for a new one of both which costs less than $159 (the replacement cost for both together is $69×2 = $138).
  • Reply 4 of 29
    When the AirPods are paired with multiple devices simultaneously, how do they decide which device takes priority?
    It's not automatic. They are all paired, but you need to switch manually—which I feel makes most sense probably.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Fair price.
    Might not really be worth it from Apple's perspective to put together an AppleCare+ plan for AirPods.
    Might not really be worth it from the end-users' perspective even if Apple did have AppleCare+ for AirPods.
    pscooter63ration al
  • Reply 6 of 29
    I have a feeling I am missing something basic here: how does this prevent someone from abusing the system, i.e., claiming their AirPods + Charger have been lost, then asking for a new one of both which costs less than $159 (the replacement cost for both together is $69×2 = $138).
    You are missing something... the other AirPod! Your math is for one AirPod and one charger. You get two Airpods and a charger (and a lightning cable) for $159.
    mike1baconstangtallest skilpscooter63watto_cobraration al602warren
  • Reply 7 of 29
    It doesn't stop it, but seeing as the charge case costs Apple money to make profit wise they are making more money. $69x3 = $207. The house always wins.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 8 of 29
    It won't comes with the fancy box, which is very important for the user experience
    baconstang
  • Reply 9 of 29
    viclauyyc said:
    It won't comes with the fancy box, which is very important for the user experience
    That fancy box is the only way can you charge the AirPods, and it contains a 24-hour battery. (and included is a Lightning cable)
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    ireland said:
    Now here's one occasion where $69 sounds justified.

Unlike most of the other Schiller pricing decisions these days. I'm reminded one time of a friend from years ago who was learning his trade and a woman in a wealthy neighbourhood ask his boss to quote her a price for a new roof on her house and he said he'd go out to the van and make some calculations (after he looked at her house). So my friend was present in the van and he said the guy thought what this job should cost (a fair price) and when he got that figure he doubled it and then added on a bit. Full sure she might say no, she said, "good, when can you start". Sometimes when I see the price of things coming out of Cupertino these days I imagine Schiller doing the same: fair price, now let's double it and add on a bit: €114 to cover the front and back of an iPad mini 4 in silicone. They should offer a leather Apple Smart Case for this product and it should be €49 (max €59). They don't offer such an option purely out of greed. Same with their phones, the flagship models keep creeping up every year over here and while vat has increased by 2% here the $ is far more valuable toward the euro than it was a few years back. My sister asked me if I was getting an iPhone 7 (did you see the new iPhone? Are you getting one?) and I laughed out loud. Starts at €779—almost an €800 starting price here. /rant
    You seem quite bitter on the Euro pricing of their products, but are mixing it in with the baseline USD price targets.  In the case of iPhone that you reference, the flagship 4.7" pricing has remained very steady for years.  It is not creeping up in USD, the currency by which they set their product pricing.  

On how exchange rates change that, I can certainly empathize.  The CAD$ has fallen significantly against the USD over last two years, and now Apple products are much more expensive.  However, unless I go to a US location without sales tax, I will not be saving any money by buying in USD and bringing it back.  I check all the time.  In other words, their pricing (mostly) matches up with the exchange rate of the day of product release - with Apple hedging a bit.

In Canada, we have an explicit sales tax, so it is easy to compare.  In European countries, I understand that the VAT is buried in the product price, so I suppose that makes it more difficult to compare.  Anyways, in the end it is 90% about exchange rate, with 10% Apple hedging on that.

Of course that can hurt Apple.  How many lost sales are they encountering due to the higher USD, and Apple not willing to keep prices down in local currency?  It is partly Apple's decisions to maintain foreign margins, but the real driver is the USD at 14 year high against many other currencies.

I guess my point is that this isn't Phil Schiller petting his cat and coming up with ridiculous ideas on how to gouge customers - the exchange rates for products would be set by different guys.
    mike1StrangeDayspscooter63stantheman
  • Reply 11 of 29
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    I hope you can buy the charging case separately. I'd like to have a second
    jahbladeslprescott
  • Reply 12 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:
    It doesn't stop it, but seeing as the charge case costs Apple money to make profit wise they are making more money. $69x3 = $207. The house always wins.
    Yes agreed, if something happens to one AirPod, or the case, far better to spend $159 and get a whole new set to serve as a backup.

Also, aren't these L/R specific? So it's not like you can buy one AirPod for $69 and swap it in and out of the mix, as I had hoped. Imagine having a third AirPod always charged, so that you can charge one for 15 min and get another 3 hours while continuing to listen, and then charge the other for 15 min and get another 3 hours, ready to go for the next charging swap out, without missing a beat -- for a full 24 hours without a full recharge of the everything, But that doesn't look like the case. Still 15 min downtime for every 3 hours is not a big deal.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    vahancouvervahancouver Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    Please do the math again! Each airpod is $69, not both together 
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Yes, you are missing something basic Anan.  Apple is wise enough to anticipate the scammers.  Without the charging case, the airpods would be useless.  You would be worse off to try and scam your way because you still need to buy the case, so it would be much cheaper to buy the Airpods for $159 as a set instead of $69 for each of the three pieces separately= $207   
  • Reply 15 of 29
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    Yes agreed, if something happens to one AirPod, or the case, far better to spend $159 and get a whole new set to serve as a backup.
    Depends how careful you are and provided you lose the correct one each time. I'd just get one.
    ration al
  • Reply 16 of 29
    thrang said:
    I hope you can buy the charging case separately. I'd like to have a second
    3rd party charging case? I hope so.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Simple, they are valuing each component at $69. Parts are always more individually regardless of the product.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Walking in Amsterdam I suddely thought of a drive by biker yanking EarPods out of people's ears, collecting a bunch. It will happen. Or are they password protected?
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Yeah, that would take some timing and skill. Probably easier and more profitable just to take your purse or your wallet. Those probably aren't password protected.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Walking in Amsterdam I suddely thought of a drive by biker yanking EarPods out of people's ears, collecting a bunch. It will happen. Or are they password protected?
    You mean AirPods, right? You're suggesting people are going to drive by on bicycles and with amazing dexterity pluck the individual pods right out of your ears by the 1-2" stem? I'd say the chances of that being a concern are about the same as all the hand wringing online about muggers chopping off fingers for stolen TouchID iphones. Lotta worry online, no real life problem. 
    edited December 2016 mac_128mobiusration al