New Japanese ad for Apple's iPhone 7 centers on speed of Apple Pay

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple Japan has posted a new video ad for the iPhone 7, pushing one of the unique local advantages of using Apple Pay.

The spot, dubbed "Race," features two men running through a busy Japanese city, staying virtually neck-and-neck until they reach a subway turnstile. At that point one of the men pulls out an iPhone 7 Plus, charges 3,800 yen to his Suica card via Apple Pay, then gets on a departing train before the other man can find his pass.

Unlike others, Japanese iPhone 7 models support Sony's FeliCa mobile payment platform, which is extremely common in the country and usable not just at subway stations but many places beyond. Other smartphones support the technology as well, and it's likely that Apple Pay would have had an uphill battle for acceptance without it.

FeliCa is also built into Japanese versions of the Apple Watch Series 2.

Apple Pay's international reach has expanded considerably in the past year, most recently reaching Spain. Apple is still working on solving the problem of U.S. retail adoption however, hoping to push it from a current 35 percent to two-thirds by the end of 2017.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Hmm Hindi song in background 
  • Reply 2 of 9
    They need to advertise security more than speed. It's convenient, but not a lot faster than using your card. I use Apple Pay almost exclusively for purchases (over 90% now) and I do so because the merchant no longer sees my real card number.

I've had to replace my credit card twice in my life because the number was stolen and someone attempted to make purchases on it. Apple Pay GREATLY reduces the possibility of this ever happening.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    90% of my brick and mortar purchases are at three retailers, none of which currently accept Apple Pay.  :(
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Having lived in Japan for 7 years, speed is important at the ticket wicket, otherwise, you're backing up the line and you'd have a lot of irked people behind you. There's not nearly so much fraud or crime in Japan as in the U.S.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Apple Pay requires Finger Print via TouchID - the AD shows just holding the phone - Totally incorrect AD...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Mintz said:
    Apple Pay requires Finger Print via TouchID - the AD shows just holding the phone - Totally incorrect AD...
    Doesn't work that way.
    It appears the Suica card is pre-loaded with a limit amount via ApplePay prior to use so it doesn't require a thumbprint at the wicket.

Here's some visual info:

http://www.apple.com/jp/apple-pay/
  • Reply 7 of 9
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    nomadmac said:
    Having lived in Japan for 7 years, speed is important at the ticket wicket, otherwise, you're backing up the line and you'd have a lot of irked people behind you. There's not nearly so much fraud or crime in Japan as in the U.S.
    My experiences with AP at kiosks (and with checkout clerks that have a clue) is that it is very fast. The only payment method that I could imagine is faster is using a relatively insecure fob where mere possession means you can pay without further authentication. Taking into account the entire payment portion of the transaction, It's faster than cash or other credit card methods.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    nomadmac said:
    Mintz said:
    Doesn't work that way.
    It appears the Suica card is pre-loaded with a limit amount via ApplePay prior to use so it doesn't require a thumbprint at the wicket.

Here's some visual info:

http://www.apple.com/jp/apple-pay/
    Also if you doble press the home bottom while the phone is lock, it will bring up Apple Pay and you can authenticate with your print before having to pay. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Speed is extremely important. You have way more passengers going through the gate then anywhere else in the world. Speed and accuracy matters.
    That is why normal Apple Pay with credit card is too slow ( Even if it is Offline ). What works in London Tube doesn't it works in Japan. Heck even 0.3 sec is slow in Japaneses transport system.