Jury awards Core Wireless $7.3M in damages for Apple patent infringement

Posted:
in iPhone
On Thursday, a jury for the U.S. District Court for Northern California found Apple to be infringing on two patents owned by Core Wireless, related to various cellular connection standards like GSM and LTE.

The latter company has been awarded $7.3 million in damages, according to Law360. Core Wireless is a patent-holding firm, and the two U.S. patents in question -- 6,477,151 and 6,633,536 -- were actually bought from one-time wireless giant Nokia.

Specifically, the patents cover ways of optimizing two-way mobile communications, and the GSM/GPRS, UMTS, and LTE standards.

Apple is likely to appeal the verdict, as it usually does in the rare instances it loses a patent dispute. When such a motion stands a realistic chance, it can not only clear the original money owed but potentially deter future legal action.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    So... sounds like Apple is paying for something that they shouldn't be. 

ATT/VZ/Etc. should be paying. 

And if Apple is paying, then Google, Samsung, MS, etc. should be too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11

Or is it supposed to be covered by modem manufacturers like Qualcomm or Intel?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    does Apple win anything when it comes to patent disputes? every headline is: Apple ordered to pay.... Apple ordered to pay.. whats up with that?
    bloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Win some lose some. 
  • Reply 5 of 11
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    spice-boy said:
    Win some lose some. 
    Actually, Apple rarely wins (and collects) on its own patents while it almost always is ordered to pay for someone else's patents even those relating to standards.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 11
    spice-boy said:
    Win some lose some. 
    where do u see the win some?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    they just need to buy these patent holding dickheads and make apply for a series of patents that are a vague as they can be.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    The patent system is broken and favours small patent-holding entities rather than innovators. If you're a serious product developer your product can contain many hundreds of novel patents: but it's impossible to file against copycat products as it's impossible to file a suit with a hundred different patent infringements. Instead each case maxes out at around 8 - which then just turns into a drawn out scenario where only the innovator is punished.
    rob53
  • Reply 9 of 11
    does Apple win anything when it comes to patent disputes? every headline is: Apple ordered to pay.... Apple ordered to pay.. whats up with that?

I was thinking the same thing. Why is it that Apple seems to be losing everything in the court? Any win (Samsung trial) results in awards that are pruned and pruned till they are almost nothing.

I wonder if it has something to do with people getting vicarious pleasure in bringing down the big guy.

watto_cobrarob53
  • Reply 10 of 11

Well, from what I understand, Qualcomm has pretty much negotiated every license under the sun related to wireless. But Apple decided that it'd prefer Intel Chipsets.
  • Reply 11 of 11

I was thinking the same thing. Why is it that Apple seems to be losing everything in the court? Any win (Samsung trial) results in awards that are pruned and pruned till they are almost nothing.

I wonder if it has something to do with people getting vicarious pleasure in bringing down the big guy.

For many years, Apple had a "Halo Effect" which basically meant that it could influence the way the world performed in multiple areas. However, in the past few years, this Halo Effect has faded; and will continue to fade as Apple Employees decide to quit and retire. I'd say that the halo began to fade when Ron Johnson stepped down. Prior to Apple, Ron worked in marketing at Target; and I'd say that the SuperTarget store near me is actually hipper than shopping at an Apple Store.