First look video: Unboxing and setting up Apple's wireless AirPods

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2016
With the first Apple AirPods set to find their ways into the hands of customers in the coming days, AppleInsider offers a first look of what to expect when unboxing, pairing and using your new wireless headphones for the first time.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    After seeing this video they look even more appealing! Christmas there I go!
    albegarcidreyLoneStar88watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Daughter ordered me a set...4 weeks for delivery. Woohoo! :)
    albegarcLoneStar88watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    The box is so compact!  I love that; I aim to keep my bag of accessories small, and this will help.
    LoneStar88watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    I cannot wait for the 21th! To be here
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
     I can keep repeating this in the Apple insider forums simply because no one at Apple insider appears to be listening...

How do they sound?

All this hype about these headphones and yet nobody is talking about the quality of the sound we get from them!  To me, that's pure insanity.  And no, I do not prefer to "assume" that they sound the same or similar to the existing wired earbuds only because they are a similar shape and color. Give us a review of how they sound!

Thank you. 
    bloodshotrollin'redcrowleyperkedel
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I wonder what if you open the AirPod case to pair to your device and you're in an area where there are multiple supported devices. For instance: as you're walking out of the Apple Store after just purchasing the AirPods. It could happen any time you take the AirPods out of the case and some other supported device is in close proximity when you open the AirPod case. Lots of people are continuously clickity-clackity on their devices. Someone other than yourself could inadvertently or maliciously pair your AirPods to their device. For this reason it seems like the AirPods should be connected to an iCloud account and/or managed through iTunes. That way the owner of the AirPods could see a list of devices the AirPods are currently paired to and choose to remove pairing from a device if they want to. Or even turn off the pairing connection ability after you have paired/connected all the devices you wanted to, with the ability to turn pairing ability back on in case you ever want to pair a new device later on.
    bloodshotrollin'redai46
  • Reply 7 of 19
    jdw said:
     I can keep repeating this in the Apple insider forums simply because no one at Apple insider appears to be listening...

How do they sound?

All this hype about these headphones and yet nobody is talking about the quality of the sound we get from them!  To me, that's pure insanity.  And no, I do not prefer to "assume" that they sound the same or similar to the existing wired earbuds only because they are a similar shape and color. Give us a review of how they sound!

Thank you. 
    So, you're saying you're a slave to others' opinions? Man up and get a pair and see for yourself! You have 14 days to return them. Simple.
    watto_cobraalbegarc
  • Reply 8 of 19

Puh-Leeze said:
    I wonder what if you open the AirPod case to pair to your device and you're in an area where there are multiple supported devices. For instance: as you're walking out of the Apple Store after just purchasing the AirPods. It could happen any time you take the AirPods out of the case and some other supported device is in close proximity when you open the AirPod case. Lots of people are continuously clickity-clackity on their devices. Someone other than yourself could inadvertently or maliciously pair your AirPods to their device. For this reason it seems like the AirPods should be connected to an iCloud account and/or managed through iTunes. That way the owner of the AirPods could see a list of devices the AirPods are currently paired to and choose to remove pairing from a device if they want to. Or even turn off the pairing connection ability after you have paired/connected all the devices you wanted to, with the ability to turn pairing ability back on in case you ever want to pair a new device later on.
    Too much thinking there, pal. The pods can probably sense multiple possible signals and will probably send the pairing message to the strongest one. Then again, if you're so concerned about this, just wait until you're "alone" before doing the pairing routine.

"Malicious pairing"? Like from the Russians?!!! Ooooooo.
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    These look really good! Can't wait to check them out!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Puh-Leeze said:
    Too much thinking there, pal. The pods can probably sense multiple possible signals and will probably send the pairing message to the strongest one. Then again, if you're so concerned about this, just wait until you're "alone" before doing the pairing routine.

"Malicious pairing"? Like from the Russians?!!! Ooooooo.
    And it's ridiculous to assume that "any time you take the AirPods out of the case" it will try to start a new pairing session with any and all watchOS, macOS, and iOS devices with the appropriate version of the OS installed.
    mac_128
  • Reply 11 of 19
    So, absolutely nothing about audio quality (or lack of). Are we to assume these are doorstops or a condiment set? I know Apple have yet to get even remotely close to audiophile levels of sound fidelity with their audio offerings but a few sentences about the aural quality, frequency balance and listening comfort would have had some relevance to viewers.

The narrator also needs to improve his enunciation.
  • Reply 12 of 19

After seeing this video they look even more appealing! Christmas there I go!
    Shouldn't that have been 'Here comes Christmas'. Even 'Christmas is a coming'.?
  • Reply 13 of 19

Puh-Leeze said:
    Should I care if other people want to listen to my music? Maybe their function breaches music broadcasting rights? Here comes the pitter-patter of lawyers slippers.
    perkedel
  • Reply 14 of 19
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Mine are ordered.  Jan 12 or sumpin.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Puh-Leeze said:
    Should I care if other people want to listen to my music? Maybe their function breaches music broadcasting rights? Here comes the pitter-patter of lawyers slippers.
    If they "maliciously" pair with your AirPods it'll be you who can hear their music.
    Soli
  • Reply 16 of 19
    crowley said:

Puh-Leeze said:
    If they "maliciously" pair with your AirPods it'll be you who can hear their music.
    I thought that was a given...?
  • Reply 17 of 19

idrey said:
    I cannot wait for the 21th! To be here
    Mine are due on the 19th Dec. I'm a tad excited. I've not been this keen about getting an Apple objet d'tech since the launch of Magic Trackpad II.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    jdw said:

How do they sound?

Thank you. 
    I just got mine today and have been listening carefully for hours. I can't compare them to EarPods because I never used them; they just stay in the box unused for the next buyer of my device. I can tell you, that my go-to IEMs are Westone W60's which retail for $1K. They are fine, audiophile phones, but they are corded, and I don't feel right wearing them while I'm working up a sweat at the gym. I tried my new AirPods today and must say, I am impressed (with certain qualifications). They have a very warm tone and male/female vocals are very good. Bass is definitely there, even without a tight seal around the ear. I was sort of amazed at this. I find the upper bass to be a bit heavier than I prefer, but it doesn't overwhelm. Sub bass is really present and bassheads will not be disappointed. The upper end is also 'good' and doesn't have a harsh, colored quality that would wear me out. With that said, the imaging, soundstage and detail are okay but not up to the highest audiophile standards. However, I can listen to tunes for hours with these AirPods and be completely satisfied. And, I now have freedom of movement. I can move about my office and home without being tethered to a device. 

One strange observation: I noticed a difference in the quality of the music coming from my iMac (latest model) and my iPhone SE. The iPhone is noticeably better. On the iMac, I get occasional 'stuttering', and the sound is not as clean. Not sure why this is the case. 
    kevin kee
  • Reply 19 of 19
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    jdw said:

How do they sound?

Thank you. 

Still not as good as Sony MDRZ1R (which costed me $2.5k and not even cordless), but definitely way better than its price tag suggests and the best of all wireless earphone I have ever tried so far. I am pleasantly surprise with the bass it produces, the range and dynamic are pretty good. The high definition is definitely there. If you are casual listener and not a picky audiophile, then the answer of your question is: perfect.