This week on AI: AirPods are go, Cook meets Trump, Apple's 'TV' app goes live & more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2016
Apple got busy before the Christmas holidays, releasing several software updates, and its long-delayed wireless AirPods. CEO Tim Cook meanwhile attended a summit with U.S. President-Elect Donald Trump, meeting privately for another discussion afterward.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Everything you need to know:

• AirPods are finally available to order, but now take up to six weeks to ship > >
  • Apple released iOS 10.2 & tvOS 10.1, both with the new "TV" app > >
  • watchOS 3.1.1 was pulled after users complained about it bricking their Apple Watches > >
  • Cook scored a close seat to Presisdent-Elect Trump at a summit of tech executives > >
  • Apple's W1-equipped BeatsX earbuds won't ship until February > >
  • Nintendo's Super Mario Run launched on the iOS App Store > >
  • macOS 10.12.2 was released with an assortment of improvements and fixes > >
For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of all of our hottest stories this week:

Apple AirPods now available to purchase, deliver Dec. 21

Apple releases iOS 10.2 with new 'TV' app, plus new & refreshed emoji

Apple yanks watchOS 3.1.1 update following user complaints

Apple's Tim Cook takes close seat to Donald Trump at tech summit

Apple's BeatsX earphones officially delayed until February

Apple TV's tvOS updated to 10.1 with new 'TV' app, single sign-on, bug fixes

Nintendo's 'Super Mario Run' now available for purchase in iOS App Store

Apple releases macOS 10.12.2 with auto-unlock & GPU fixes, Touch Bar screenshot support

Apple said to be discussing $1 billion add into SoftBank's U.S. investment fund

Review: Apple Watch Nike+ isn't much different from Series 2, and that's OK

Apple Support app makes US App Store debut

Apple hit with $2 million verdict in Calif. retail employee rights class action suit

Jury awards Core Wireless $7.3M in damages for Apple patent infringement

AirPods Giveaway: We're giving away a pair of Apple AirPods, follow us for a chance to win

Apple invests $44M into Indonesian R&D to unlock local iPhone sales

LG partnering with Apple, Google & Microsoft on foldable OLED displays - report

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    All reviews I've seen said AirPods are the same shape as EarPods, but a careful eye can see they are not the same shape and likely fit the ear differently as a result.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ireland said:
    All reviews I've seen said AirPods are the same shape as EarPods, but a careful eye can see they are not the same shape and likely fit the ear differently as a result.
    They look like a different shape to me, too. Also, one forum member (I forget who) has a theory that the reason the EarPods pop out is because of the attached cable. Not so much the weight of the cable pulling down, but when it starts to twist causing them to longer stay seated, offer the fullest sound, and then pop out without proper contact with the ear. Sounds reasonable to me.