All of Apple's OLED 'iPhone 8' models to use curved Samsung panels - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    entropys said:
    Soli said:
    Put on your thinking caps. What use is there for wrapped display? What value is added to the user experience?

Any ideas?…
    Yes.

I believe the windshield of a car could benefit form a curved display. 
    Like a boomerang, if you throw it away it will come back.
    If that's a comment about the Apple Car rumour, note that I'm not making a statement for or against that rumour. Repressthis asked for a use for a wrapped display, and looking at the future of automobile in the next 10, 20, or 30 years, I think that will evolve the way flat glass on cars evolved into more complex designs.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 22 of 47
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Not even sure the curved OLED display makes any sense on my Watch. I often trigger the icon in the lower left of my Modular watch face when grasping it (to move it out from my cuff to read it for example). My fingertip rolls up over the edge thanks to that lovely curved screen. That's endurable on a device that is seldom handled, but on an iPhone . . .?
    ? - I have an Apple Watch too...its OLED display is not curved, the cover glass/crystal is at the edges. If you look closely, the display area itself is flat with a blanked out area around it.
    edited December 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 47
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Soli said:
    entropys said:
    Soli said:
    Put on your thinking caps. What use is there for wrapped display? What value is added to the user experience?

Any ideas?…
    Yes.

I believe the windshield of a car could benefit form a curved display. 
    Like a boomerang, if you throw it away it will come back.
    If that's a comment about the Apple Car rumour, note that I'm not making a statement for or against that rumour. Repressthis asked for a use for a wrapped display, and looking at the future of automobile in the next 10, 20, or 30 years, I think that will evolve the way flat glass on cars evolved into more complex designs.
    Nah, just a joke because someone asked what a curved screen might be useful for.  You have to see the original comment I guess. 
  • Reply 24 of 47
    I have owned a Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge Plus since its introduction about 18 months ago.

Good lord, I hate this phone.  The list of reasons why would be as long as a ticker tape machine spitting out the losses on October 24, 1929, but one of the big ones is the curved screen.  Yes, I was enthralled with the cool-looking thing upon purchase, and imagined the infinite useful possibilities of the newfangled curved edges.  Alas, in practice, there are none.

First:  I prefer my phone without a case.  They are very dropworthy these days from my experience (including the Samsung) so why take a device that is manufactured to be as graceful and as small as possible, and make it ugly, and bigger, by putting a cheap plastic case on it.  (I actually bought a case for this phone when it was new and it was so crummy it started falling apart after three weeks, so I just ditched it).

So, with no case on, it's basically impossible to handle the phone without inadvertantly triggering the edge screen, which causes all sorts of unwanted, maddening behavior.  Then, to add insult to injury, when you do want to use the edge, it is highly unresponsive and usually takes 3 or more swipes to get it to respond.  Often when I swipe at the edge to open the quick launch window (my only use for the edge, it turns out), instead it will launch an app on the right side of the screen, usually a game that takes 45 seconds to load.  I've literally accidentally launched this game as many as five times in a row while trying to simply swipe the edge functions on screen.

All the face-down, lights-up-in-a-color when a friend calls is completely useless.

To conclude, the edge is useless, and less so, because of the endless misfires it causes with the phone.  If you need to put a case on the phone with square edges to compensate for the impossible-to-handle curved screen -- what is the purpose of the curved screen in the first place?

I go to the Apple store on occasion and lovingly hold the gently squared off edges of the iPhone 7 in my hand and dream of the day I have the Samsung paid off and can get this godforsaken curved screen out of my life.  Apple, take note.
    edited December 2016 zimmermannwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 25 of 47
    I have owned a Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge Plus since its introduction about 18 months ago.

Good lord, I hate this phone.  The list of reasons why would be as long as a ticker tape machine spitting out the losses on October 24, 1929, but one of the big ones is the curved screen.  Yes, I was enthralled with the cool-looking thing upon purchase, and imagined the infinite useful possibilities of the newfangled curved edges.  Alas, in practice, there are none.

First:  I prefer my phone without a case.  They are very dropworthy these days from my experience (including the Samsung) so why take a device that is manufactured to be as graceful and as small as possible, and make it ugly, and bigger, by putting a cheap plastic case on it.  (I actually bought a case for this phone when it was new and it was so crummy it started falling apart after three weeks, so I just ditched it).

So, with no case on, it's basically impossible to handle the phone without inadvertantly triggering the edge screen, which causes all sorts of unwanted, maddening behavior.  Then, to add insult to injury, when you do want to use the edge, it is highly unresponsive and usually takes 3 or more swipes to get it to respond.  Often when I swipe at the edge to open the quick launch window (my only use for the edge, it turns out), instead it will launch an app on the right side of the screen, usually a game that takes 45 seconds to load.  I've literally accidentally launched this game as many as five times in a row while trying to simply swipe the edge functions on screen.

All the face-down, lights-up-in-a-color when a friend calls is completely useless.

To conclude, the edge is useless, and less so, because of the endless misfires it causes with the phone.  If you need to put a case on the phone with square edges to compensate for the impossible-to-handle curved screen -- what is the purpose of the curved screen in the first place?

I go to the Apple store on occasion and lovingly hold the gently squared off edges of the iPhone 7 in my hand and dream of the day I have the Samsung paid off and can get this godforsaken curved screen out of my life.  Apple, take note.
    Sorry but the iPhone is too slippery to use without a case, and the edges too rounded, also. Hard to get a good grip. I use best case ever skin to make it usable without a thick case. I also go to the Apple Store and dream of a new design. The glass not being recessed ensure a cracked screen with each drop. So now I just use it with a cracked screen. Wish they'd change the design more often, it increases the chance of coming up with something better by accident. Welcome to the new Apple, I guess. 
  • Reply 26 of 47
    If it's SS making the OLED's, I shall get the LCD display. Why haven't they gone out of business yet??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 47
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    entropys said:
    It isn't about cannibalisation though, a concept I always thought was stupid.  After all a sale that isn't made by the other guy is a win. What is a concept is an incoherent product strategy that relegates some company products to second class for marketing reasons.  I reckon this rumour is bullshit, as the iPhone is currently the golden egg, and Cook et al seem to be very busy making sure it is the only kind of egg Apple makes. Consequently, making some eggs solid gold and some gilt seems a bit suss.  

Look at what a (non) successful strategy has been introducing a higher priced iPad Pro and relegating the other iPads to older Processors. Result is lower sales of iPads overall. Surely Cook has learned his lesson there?
    It will be interesting to see how the iPad sales will have done after this Christmas Quarter.  Last year Apple had the new 12.9 inch iPad and earlier this year they had the new 9.7 iPad Pro and sales still fell.   I expect that the new MacBook Pro with TB will follow a similar pattern of high sells the first two quarters after release followed by following sales.    I'll be interested in a new iPad when the price comes back down.   After getting a MacBook (black polycarbonate version), MacBook air, Mac Mini, iMac, iPhones and 4 iPads, I'm looking more and more over at the Surface Pro.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    k2kw said:
    entropys said:
    It isn't about cannibalisation though, a concept I always thought was stupid.  After all a sale that isn't made by the other guy is a win. What is a concept is an incoherent product strategy that relegates some company products to second class for marketing reasons.  I reckon this rumour is bullshit, as the iPhone is currently the golden egg, and Cook et al seem to be very busy making sure it is the only kind of egg Apple makes. Consequently, making some eggs solid gold and some gilt seems a bit suss.  

Look at what a (non) successful strategy has been introducing a higher priced iPad Pro and relegating the other iPads to older Processors. Result is lower sales of iPads overall. Surely Cook has learned his lesson there?
    It will be interesting to see how the iPad sales will have done after this Christmas Quarter.  Last year Apple had the new 12.9 inch iPad and earlier this year they had the new 9.7 iPad Pro and sales still fell.   I expect that the new MacBook Pro with TB will follow a similar pattern of high sells the first two quarters after release followed by following sales.    I'll be interested in a new iPad when the price comes back down.   After getting a MacBook (black polycarbonate version), MacBook air, Mac Mini, iMac, iPhones and 4 iPads, I'm looking more and more over at the Surface Pro.

Judging by iPad sales around me iPads did quite well this holiday season. My Target for example has like 2 12" iPad Pro's left and thats it. They used to have an entire cabinet full of different iPads from mini's to 12" Pros and anything in between. The Wal-Mart near me is the same way. Best Buy has a lot, but they seem to really overstock for some reason. 
  • Reply 29 of 47
    I think the curved display fits the contour of our body better when it's tucked inside our jean's pocket. Also It's less likely to be crushed when the phone is on the back pocket. Another benefit: if the phone is dropped face down, the glass part will not hit the ground flat-on which means it's less likely to get damaged. The curved structure reinforces certain rigidity.
    edited December 2016 dasanman69
  • Reply 30 of 47
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    entropys said:

So wrong about the iPad. Since the iPhone 4 and iPad 2, Apple has always pushed the price point lower using the older model with the older processor while introducing new models with the latest and greatest. The result of this strategy is not lower sales, but improved profitability as still evidenced with the introduction of the 9.7" iPad Pro. I believe they announced iPad sales were flat rather than declining during the last call.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 31 of 47
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I think the idea of a "premium" IPhone is a good one -- NOT because the world needs a premium IPhone but because smart phone technology has peaked and leveled off.   New products now offer evolutionary, incremental advances.   And, most of the world is not willing to pay premium prices for incremental advances.   Some are -- they always want the latest and the greatest.   But most just want a product that will meet their needs....

To equate this to laptops:   Why would somebody pay $2,500 for a laptop when they can get the same functionality out of a $500 laptop?   How far can prestige take you?

Apple NEEDS to go to a two tiered system -- just as Honda and Toyota did when they added their premium lines.  Apple doesn't need to go so far as to create a separate company, but it will begin losing increased market share if it only targets the top 10, 9, 8, 7, 6%... of the market.

Too many Apple loyal are stuck back in the 80's and 90's where tech advance was revolutionary.   Today, increasingly it is evolutionary.   Apple needs to adjust to today's world.

doozydozen
  • Reply 32 of 47
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    OLED colors are garish, oversaturated and impossible to calibrate
    You're saying this about the Apple Watch, too?

There is no absolute here. Because you've seen an oversaturated AMOLED display on a Samsung phone doesn't mean that it's a indefinite shortcoming of the technology, like with the viewing angle of a TN panel over IPS. To put another way, OLED can indeed be extremely accurate, and we've seen that on Samsung devices. What's been more of an issue for the technology is longevity of certain colored pixels and average power usage, but each generation improves.
    Yes, I agree.  Completely agree...
    ...  But OLED is still just an incremental, evolutionary advance.   How much premium will the average guy be willing to pay for such an tiny advance?
  • Reply 33 of 47
    peejaybeeepeejaybeee Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    One Apple patent application describes a tight curve on each side, a full 90º, with the screen used on the sides for volume buttons etc. The interesting part was that the curved part of the display WASN'T used - actually masked out in one implementation. So the curve is used as a way to get the screen image to appear near the sides without the negative implications of showing pixels through a curved glass (distortions) - then a thin strip of screen is used on either side.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 34 of 47

Any ideas?...
    Well ... so that if you have your phone resting on the edge of the top shelf of your bookcase you can see the latest text message in the scroll. /s
    doozydozen
  • Reply 35 of 47
    The hideous mockups that keep getting posted on this site and others just tell me that the Tech Blog industry has absolutely no idea what an iPhone should look like, and thank god Apple doesn't pay any attention to them.
    StrangeDaysdoozydozen
  • Reply 36 of 47
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I think the idea of a "premium" IPhone is a good one -- NOT because the world needs a premium IPhone but because smart phone technology has peaked and leveled off.   New products now offer evolutionary, incremental advances.   And, most of the world is not willing to pay premium prices for incremental advances.   Some are -- they always want the latest and the greatest.   But most just want a product that will meet their needs....

To equate this to laptops:   Why would somebody pay $2,500 for a laptop when they can get the same functionality out of a $500 laptop?   How far can prestige take you?

Apple NEEDS to go to a two tiered system -- just as Honda and Toyota did when they added their premium lines.  Apple doesn't need to go so far as to create a separate company, but it will begin losing increased market share if it only targets the top 10, 9, 8, 7, 6%... of the market.

Too many Apple loyal are stuck back in the 80's and 90's where tech advance was revolutionary.   Today, increasingly it is evolutionary.   Apple needs to adjust to today's world.
    It is true that smartphones have reached a point of maturity when most features are evolutionary / incremental.  The upgrade cycle for smartphones (at least premium ones) is certainly lengthening.

However, you seem to want to spin a narrative that goes against reality.
    - Humans are not drones who only purchase "what they need".  Look at *every* market (clothes, cars, electronics, houses, furniture,...) - the purchasing criteria in each one is much beyond "what they need".  You can say that it is illogical, it is just vanity, whatever.  The point is that this is what people do.
    - In computers specifically, a significant portion of the market (10%+) are buying units above $1000.  While more expensive upfront, they last longer, perform better, and are valued by their owners.  Macs of course absolutely dominate this category.  Apple's products are more expensive, but many value thin & light (portability), ease-of-use, no bloatware / adware installed, etc.  Resale is higher.  
    - In smartphones, there is absolutely a difference between a $250 phone and a $650 phone.  Screen, camera, battery, performance, security, durability, resale - pretty much every aspect of a phone.  For a device which many use more than any other product they own, why would they not want a good one if they can afford it?

Perhaps you need to adjust your perception to how the world is, rather than how you want it to be.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 47
    This "report" isn't confirmation of anything. 

Believe nothing until actual release. 
    watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 38 of 47
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    iPhone 7s it is then.
    with lightning connector removed for wireless charging and wireless AirPods with chants of courgage! 
    ai46doozydozen
  • Reply 39 of 47
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    virtua said:
    iPhone 7s it is then.
    with lightning connector removed for wireless charging and wireless AirPods with chants of courgage! 
    Why would the Lightning connector need to be removed for wireless charging? That's like saying that USB syncing could need to be removed for WiFi syncing. They can exist at the same time, and there are reasons why removing the recovery part would have severe negative consequences, not to mentikn you now need to not include any headphones or include BT headphones with every iPhone.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    So this is how they're going to get rid of the home button. In order to go "home", you'll squeeze both sides of the device using force touch, and to enter "multitasking" you'll double squeeze. The curved edges will round the corners, more than they do on the Galaxy S 7, so it can register your force touch every time. I'd imagine that, depending on the app, the curved sides would also display relevant controls. In camera, for instance, there would probably be a dedicated "button" to force touch to take a picture, or a slide to zoom in and out with. Perhaps even the volume controls, power button, and ringer switch will all become digital as well. Simulating that in my hand, I actually really like it. With haptic feedback, this would make the phone feel very organic and alive. Over time, I could see this actually becoming more natural than using the home button. The only thing that sticks out is how to activate Siri, but since she's voice controlled anyways it may make sense to only activate her through "Hey, Siri", rather than long pressing on the sides (which will be hard to distinguish from pressing to go home).
    doozydozen