AirPods orders begin to arrive, stock available for purchase at some Apple stores

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2016
Apple's long-awaited wireless AirPods are now available at Apple's retail stores, and pre-orderers of the sought-after device started receiving their devices on Sunday.

Starting Monday, Apple AirPods are available at retail, which may be the only opportunity to get them for a holiday gift. Nearly immediately after going up for sale at Apple's online store, the devices were back-ordered, with shipments not expected until January.

However, those who ordered within the first few hours of availability are starting to receive them. Reports on social media from all over the U.S. and other countries heralded the wireless ear buds' arrival, or at least the shipment of same.

Even the box itself is a piece of beauty.. #AirPods #Apple @Apple pic.twitter.com/7ZECURlGB1

-- Lee Stewart (@iamleestewart)
Early reports suggested that stock would be somewhat limited at U.S. Apple Retail stores, at least to start. AppleInsider has followed up on those reports, and has found that the situation is better than expected at most locations.

We re-surveyed the same 10 stores that we previously asked about expected stock. The two stores that "might" get stock were expecting "at least 20" sets for sale. Of the other eight, three of them were expecting "a few" units for sale, and two of them were expecting 10 or more. All seven stores were updated on Saturday regarding inventory for sale, with stock inventory delivered on Sunday.

Three of the Apple stores we spoke with are still not expecting stock for sale before January.

Other retail establishments like Best Buy and Target are still not expecting any, with one Target store we spoke to telling us that they weren't expecting any stock at all of the sought-after peripheral until late February.

Apple's AirPods, Powerbeats 3, Beats Solo3 Wireless headphones all feature a the Apple-designed W1 chip that makes it easier to pair with multiple Apple devices. In addition to the W1, AirPods also include beam-forming microphones, accelerometers, infrared sensors, and a small charging and carrying case that will provide more power on the go as well as the mechanism to sync with the iPhone 7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20

Unsure which stores will have stock, but I'm taking my chances at the Colorado Springs location this morning. Here's hoping.

• Reply 2 of 20
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    Bought mine at 1pm at the Brent Cross store in the UK.....it was the last one in stock ;p
    tip - although Apple doesn't display online where the stock is - you can chat to them online and they will tell you which stores have stock - you can't reserve though.  

I didnt realise that the case also holds charge for multiple charging in the
    edited December 2016 peterhartalbegarc
  • Reply 3 of 20
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    £250+ on eBay! 
    albegarc
  • Reply 4 of 20
    My AirPods arrived this morning Fedex at my office in Newark, NJ funny thing is in the morning on my way to work.
    I stop by Apple Menlo Park mall and picked up a set of Apple AirPods, So now I have 2 sets lol
    albegarc
  • Reply 5 of 20
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    I think I'll wait until BeatsX comes out and see how all of these W1 products compare both to each other and to the Bose bluetooth products. 
    albegarc
  • Reply 6 of 20
    cwhite2443cwhite2443 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Just went to the Apple Store in Brea, CA expecting to stand in line like the days of old and pick up a set or even be told they're sold out. They told me they don't have any stock and are unsure when they will get any. Great wasted 30 minute drive at 7am. Apple isn't what it used to be. 
  • Reply 7 of 20

Just went to the Apple Store in Brea, CA expecting to stand in line like the days of old and pick up a set or even be told they're sold out. They told me they don't have any stock and are unsure when they will get any. Great wasted 30 minute drive at 7am. Apple isn't what it used to be. 
    My local Apple store told me they wouldn't have any until tomorrow (I asked on Friday at 7pm, because I was there on other business).   
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 8 of 20
    RiversproductionRiversproduction Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Victoria Gardens in Rancho had about 20. Sold out to the first 11 with 2 buying 1 and the rest buying 2!
    albegarc
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Uptown in Minneapolis had 2 total. I was the 3rd in line :(  Then I went to Southdale (edina, MN) and their truck was delayed so they had 0. I have 2 coming tomorrow that I pre ordered but was hoping to get a couple more for Christmas gifts.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    From all the reviews I'm reading it seems like these would be a homerun if they were gestures for volume up and volume down. Having to invoke Siri for this is a pain. You can change the gesture from Siri to play/pause but then you lose Siri and have to adjust volume from another source like iPhone or Apple Watch. Hopefully Apple is able to add more gesture support in the future. 
    albegarc
  • Reply 11 of 20
    It isn't -- it's hugely more popular and in more demand now. There was a line outside my store too and they quickly sold out. Just like when iPhones launch. But, in short order as manufacturing is scaled up, they will replenish inventory and more and more people will get what they want.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    LOVING MINE !!!

After 100% charge of both AirPods and case,

54% battery remaining after 2 hours 23 minutes Apple Music. 

Loving the tangle free experience. I am one of those users that Always use the tethered EarPods everywhere.

Getting used to:
    1) Volume change with Siri.   …works perfect But with the necessary volume change delay.   …not instant
    2) No skip to next song
  • Reply 13 of 20
    These destroy PowerBeats3, in sound quality and in interoperability: The main thing, if you get a phone call you can tap to answer on your Watch (with a little airPod Logo button) and you talk and listen on the airPods, the PowerBeats3 didn't even have a call transfer button push chance... so... but audio quality much better! And the charge case will fit in my pocket that my keys are in, with no fighting for space, with iPhone in other, (gonna scratch tho, poor bugger, but it's a win)
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I have mine. For those who worry that it will easily slip out of ears, rest assured your fear is unfounded. I can run 5km or more with them, fast or slow, and the sweat does not even cause them to slide out unlike the cord Apple EarPhone that comes with your iPhone. When you wear them for jogging, trust them to stay in your ear because they do. Believe me, they are comfortable, no wires bumping around your neck or back of your head, no cord pulling, it is the most comfortable earphone I have ever used in my life - it is so light you won't even feel them there, but the music is magically flow through your ears. The only thing I don't like is that Siri control can be better, but that's it.
    edited December 2016 StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 20
    From all the reviews I'm reading it seems like these would be a homerun if they were gestures for volume up and volume down. Having to invoke Siri for this is a pain. You can change the gesture from Siri to play/pause but then you lose Siri and have to adjust volume from another source like iPhone or Apple Watch. Hopefully Apple is able to add more gesture support in the future. 
    This ^ is definitely trying really hard to find some flaw somewhere, and highlight it.

It's called a tradeoff. Something you lose so that you can gain other better things. Volume adjustment is not the kind of feature I'd expect on a product like this. Furthermore, volume adjustment via hardware button on absolutely every pair of bluetooth headphones I've ever tried, absolutely sucks. Its always some small afterthought button which is so hard to fumble with, ends up moving the buds more than you'd want to, and is generally just easier to go to your pocket for the phone. At least with Siri, there is a mostly handsfree way of doing it when you need to.
    StrangeDaysmac_128
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Has anyone tried asking Siri directly when a question pop up in your head randomly instead of taking out your phone? Wow, this is some futuristic shit.  ;)
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I ordered mine on launch day delivery was on Jan 17 and these babies launched today in store here in Canada as well made plans to go morning time to pick up up didn't go walked in mall at 6 pm today went into store asked the first guy sorry sold out asked the second guy oh yes we do have 5 available received late shipment walked out with AirPods 
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Apple airpods are available online at Verizon in the US. The same can be delivered tomorrow with additional shipping charges or can be delivered on the 24th of December with free shipping.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I received mine yesterday and returned them promptly this afternoon. Far too loose in my ear, which means bass nonexistent. Volume needs Siri or phone. Sticking with my Bose QC30s. 

First Apple product I've ever returned due to questionable utility...

My 2c
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Merry Christmas you lucky guys!!