New Apple minisite aims to insert Apple Watch into corporate wellness programs

Posted:
in Apple Watch
A new section on Apple's website markets the Apple Watch as choice for corporate "wellness" programs, taking aim at a segment largely dominated by Fitbit.

The minisite touts existing partnerships with companies like Aetna, IBM, and Lockton, as well as the Watch having "wellness solutions your employees already know and love," like Lose It!, Virgin Pulse, and Vitality. It positions the Watch as a "holistic" option, able to help not just with activity tracking but areas like nutrition, breathing, and mindfulness.

The company is also selling the Watch on its ability to keep people locked into the working world, thanks to built-in apps like Calendar and Messages, and third-party options like HoursTracker.

The site lastly guides businesses through how to integrate the Watch, for example noting that while businesses under 100 workers can arrange a deal through an Apple store, organizations over that limit have to email the company's Corporate Wellness unit directly.

Apple has been selling the Watch to businesses for some time, but the minisite may signal an intensified effort. Fitbit could be a difficult rival to unseat -- the company has been in the wearables market for longer, and its fitness trackers are universally cheaper, costing less than $200 even for the more watch-like Blaze.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Good to see, but the watch might be hindered by the fact that it need a pricy iPhone to take full advantage of all it's offerings
  • Reply 2 of 5
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    holyone said:
    Good to see, but the watch might be hindered by the fact that it need a pricy iPhone to take full advantage of all it's offerings
    Everything in time (no pun intended). 
    holyonewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    macxpress said:
    holyone said:
    You think they might actually release one that didn't need an iPhone? One that would work with android ? Or just work by its self as a stand alone device? It's possible I guess, I just don't see it, can't imagine an android compatible Apple Watch nor one that could handle everything you do on you're iPhone, screen just too small, guess we'll see
  • Reply 4 of 5
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    I thought no one could really get ahold of an AW2 yet.  
  • Reply 5 of 5
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    holyone said:
    macxpress said:
    holyone said:
    You think they might actually release one that didn't need an iPhone? One that would work with android ? Or just work by its self as a stand alone device? It's possible I guess, I just don't see it, can't imagine an android compatible Apple Watch nor one that could handle everything you do on you're iPhone, screen just too small, guess we'll see
    Eventually they might make it work on its own, but I seriously doubt they care enough to make it work with Android. Apple isn't really in the business of making things compatible with their competitors. Right now I view an Apple Watch to be an accessory to an iPhone. Maybe one day it will simply be a watch that can act fully on its own. This issue will be a small screen which will always be the case, processing power, and battery life.