Apple radically expands UK transit info in Maps, adds Salt Lake City in US

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2016
A good portion of the U.K. mass transit system, including National Rail, has been added to Apple Maps a week after the company added Salt Lake City in the U.S.

First spotted by MacRumors, the U.K. additions to metropolitan areas include Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow, Leeds-Bradford, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, and Sheffield. Other smaller localities in between the major locations have been added as well, with a large swath of the nation now covered with mass transit information.

Adding to the deployment, the Transit information also includes data from the National Rail system, and most of the other associated services to allow for easy transit from one metropolitan area to another.

In the U.S., Salt Lake City's transit information has been added as well. The addition of the area brings the total of U.S metropolitan areas mass transit systems supported by the app to 28.

Apple's transit city launches differ from the rollout of Google Maps, which rapidly expanded transit directions to new cities with incomplete data, befuddling passengers. As it builds out its own support for mass transit, Apple is now working to avoid more of the criticism it received with the troubled original Apple Maps rollout with iOS 6, while also avoiding the inaccuracy and unreliability seen in Google's frequently raw and incomplete transit data.
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    Like what I suspect will happen with Apple Music, there will be gradual and incremental improvement to Apple Maps and more and more default users.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I still find Apple Maps really shitty for London. The main problem is that it does a poor job of guessing the important landmarks. 

For example: As I zoom out from where I live, the nearest underground station disappears 2-3 large pinches before the local florist. 
  • Reply 3 of 5
    xbit said:
    I still find Apple Maps really shitty for London. The main problem is that it does a poor job of guessing the important landmarks. 

For example: As I zoom out from where I live, the nearest underground station disappears 2-3 large pinches before the local florist. 

I didn't have any problems the last time I was in London. Apple Maps worked seamlessly and was a joy to use. It was the first time I used it, since Apple Maps is pretty useless here in India.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Yay....! Home town's on the map.  Go Salt City, USA....

• Reply 5 of 5
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Pretty good. Though tbh the problem with Apple Maps is becoming less about these features than the crappy search. Google is all over search, and Apple's search in Maps is rubbish by comparison.

Directions are lovely, but if I can't find the place I want directions for then it's a dud feature.
    edited December 2016