LG UltraFine 5K Display now available to purchase from Apple, delivers next week

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited December 2016
Apple on Tuesday began accepting orders for LG's 27-inch UltraFine 5K Display, featuring Thunderbolt 3 USB-C connectivity designed for the new lineup of MacBook Pros.

The first orders of the LG UltraFine 5K Display are scheduled to deliver on Dec. 27 or 28, just missing the Christmas holiday. Units are set to begin arriving in stores a day later, on Dec. 29.

The launch of the UltraFine 5K Display comes just before the end of the year, when prices on USB-C accessories originally slated to increase. Apple instituted a temporary 25 percent discount on USB-C devies, but users could not order the LG UltraFine 5K Display until Tuesday.

While the 5K monitor is currently $974, the price was scheduled to return to its MSRP of $1299.95 as of Dec. 31. Given the limited timeframe to buy, Apple has extended the deadline, and the $974 price will remain until the end of March. Accordingly, Apple has extended the discounted deadline to all other USB-C accessories as well.

Last week, AppleInsider reviewed the LG 21.5-inch 4K display, which uses USB-C -- but not Thunderbolt 3 --?to connect to Apple's recent MacBooks. The lack of Thunderbolt 3 support allows the smaller monitor to work with the 12-inch MacBook, but it also means that USB-C inputs on the back of the display are limited to slower USB 2.0 speeds.

Those concessions do not exist with the 27-inch model, which uses the Thunderbolt 3 protocol over USB-C connector. That allows 5K video, stereo speakers, a camera, three USB-C ports at USB 3.1 speeds, and up to 85 watts of charging power over a single cable.

However, the 27-inch LG UltraFine 5K Display requires Apple's latest MacBook Pros with Thunderbolt 3 support, leaving out users of the 12-inch MacBook.

LG's high-end display boasts a 5,120-by-2,880-pixel resolution and P3 wide color gamut. In all, it has more than 14.7 million pixels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    If someone is looking to get me a late Christmas gift....

Better late than never! :wink: 
    edited December 2016 pulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Already at "2-4 weeks."
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    Is it an Apple exclusive? I haven't seen that stated outright but it doesn't seem to be in distribution.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mknelson said:
    Is it an Apple exclusive? I haven't seen that stated outright but it doesn't seem to be in distribution.
    These LG monitors are exclusive to Apple Stores right now.
    flaneur
  • Reply 5 of 9
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Apple, please, make brand new Thunderbolt displays. The LG UltraFine ones are UGLY!
    schlack
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Soli said:
    mknelson said:
    Don't think that will last forever though; I think LG would want a wider distribution than the Apple store, especially if they want to sell to Windows users.
    schlack
  • Reply 7 of 9
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Rayz2016 said:

Soli said:
    mknelson said:
    Don't think that will last forever though; I think LG would want a wider distribution than the Apple store, especially if they want to sell to Windows users.
    Sure.  Don't think Apple would care.  They partnered to have a monitor solution that works with the latest MBP.  The amount they get on resale of what is likely a small number of monitors (thousands, but probably not even to the tens of thousands, over the next quarter) is less than a pittance.  
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I can't imagine this will be selling for more than $700 by the middle of 2017. Which incidentally is probably the very upper end of what I'd pay for it. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Is it me, or are posts disappearing?