Review: Apple's new wireless AirPods put a smile on 2016

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    The stock Apple EarPods' fit is OK for me (but not great) and don't fit  my wife at all. What would be nice is if Apple Stores had some dummy (or real) AirPods to so that I could test the fit before purchase. I know I could probably return them if necessary but a few seconds of shaking my head around in the store would make me confident they are going to work.
    Dave Spence
  • Reply 22 of 87
    sog35 said:
    andrewj5790 said:

You have to tap pretty hard. It's more like a finger hit
    I've tried it. VERY HARD. Still does not work.

probably will return it for a new pair when these are in stock in a few months.
    Try to tap with your fingernail instead of the fleshy part of your finger.
  • Reply 23 of 87
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'd give them an objective 5/5. It's amazing how seamless the setup, sensing (IR), and switching (input source and earpiece) is. They also don't fall out. That really was an issue with the cord. Tapping to call Siri works, but I wish Siri responded a little faster, but that's an issue with Siri in general.

However, even a few minutes of use is not kind to my ear cartilage so I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep them.
    edited December 2016 Dave Spence
  • Reply 24 of 87
    fmalloy said:
    sog35 said:
    Wow.

This thing has literally changed my life and made my life more enjoyable.

Only problem i have is the double tap to envoke Siri does not work. I don't know why. Tried it dozens of times.
    A set of mid-fi earbuds which become disposable after the battery no longer holds a charge "literally changed your life"? Seriously? The double-tap to invoke Siri doesn't work, and yet deserves 5 stars?
    Did the article's writer say his double-tap Siri didn't work? He's the one who rated 5 stars and I didn't read that it didn't work.
    williamlondonavon b7brucemcMacsplosionDave Spence
  • Reply 25 of 87

djsherly said:
    Dang, somebody got paid for writing an article...
    With your logic, I guess no one can write a positive article about a product they really liked. 
    I'm sure they're amazing headphones, but effusive isn't the word I'd use for this article. Fawning might be a better one. 
    Why? Because he really liked the product? The product that has people lining up outside of stores for? If he found it to be as good as hope, why on earth wouldn't be enthusiastic in his article? Should he throw in some made-up negatives in an attempt to be perceived as "fair & balanced"? I think that would be disingenuous..
    friedmudbestkeptsecretwilliamlondonbrucemcmacguiDave Spence
  • Reply 26 of 87
    yoyo2222 said:
    The stock Apple EarPods' fit is OK for me (but not great) and don't fit  my wife at all. What would be nice is if Apple Stores had some dummy (or real) AirPods to so that I could test the fit before purchase. I know I could probably return them if necessary but a few seconds of shaking my head around in the store would make me confident they are going to work.
    They have real, working pairs you can try with your own music.
    williamlondonDave Spence
  • Reply 27 of 87
    sog35 said:
    Wow.

First 5 out of 5 I've seen on this site... ...Tried it dozens of times.
    That's what I was going to say... 5 out of 5 oh yeah easy... It's like nano technology kinda. If you see and feel just how small and light they are once you start using them you are kinda blown away at what they actually are doing. I think an Watch is mandatory for skipping songs and volume, which why wouldn't you, and answering a call on the watch with auto-transfer is just a joy. I think with the three, iPhone -> Watch -> AirPods, all working in union is just SICK. Bluetooth 4.x in it's prime! The cool part too is if you switch devices, when you switch back to the iPhone the Watch auto connects it's bluetooth without you having too... Fearsome!
    StrangeDaysbrucemcDave Spence
  • Reply 28 of 87
    Wish List:
      1. Siri for audio controls w/o iPhone (e.g., with Watch)
      2. Siri phrases for direct volume level ("Set volume 80%")
      3. Software update to handle user taps differently in each AirPod.  e.g.,:
               Left AirPod = Volume
                   - Single Tap   = lower volume
                   - Double Tap = higher volume
                Right AirPod = Play / Pause
                   - Single Tap  = toggle Play / Pause
                   - Double Tap = Siri
    edited December 2016 StrangeDaysDave Spence
  • Reply 29 of 87
    can we please have a black version... !
    Rayz2016brucemc
  • Reply 30 of 87
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    Wow.

First 5 out of 5 I've seen on this site.

I agree 100%

A key is to pair this with an Apple watch so you can easily skip tracks and adjust volume.

Only problem i have is the double tap to envoke Siri does not work. I don't know why. Tried it dozens of times.

My method - tap and make contact with both the end of your finger and fingernail, works every time. You can hear the fingernail tap through the body of the AirPod. 
    They also sound way better than EarPods. No treble sibilance. 
    To answer another question...I left my phone in the kitchen this morning when I went to the workshop - that's four walls and around 20m away and they worked fine. I was quite disorientated when I got a call and automatically reached into my pocket only to panic a bit that I had dropped it somewhere. That's a pretty seamless experience. 
    The case charges at a fairly leisurely rate. 
    Dave Spence
  • Reply 31 of 87
    mtbnut said:
    "The company failed to detail how, exactly, it plans to target offending users."

Damn, at least give them more than 5 minutes before declaring that they've failed? Didn't this just start happening a few weeks ago? Maybe 'did not' instead of 'failed to'?

Where was that quote? I searched page for a few of the key words and couldn't find it.
    Dave Spence
  • Reply 32 of 87
    The sound on these is actually more full than the EarPods! More bass and range. I'd give them a 5/5 too. I'm excited for my new wireless life with no more cord tangles or catches on door handles. 
    williamlondonmacguiDave Spence
  • Reply 33 of 87
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    After using it for 3 days, I say I agree with the review (and overwhelming positive other reviews online), and if Apple can perfect the volume control (not that I have a problem with it with my Watch), I would give the score 6 out of 5. Yes, it does exceeded expectation. Note that the volume control can be added in the software since the buds already capable of mechanical tapping.

Airpods is such a product that very Apple-ish. It does only 1 thing: wireless earphone, but does it very well, perfecting the way Bluetooth annoying connection, multiple devices sharing, smart ear detector and true cordless. Design wise, very eve-ish. Sleek, white, minimalist. Of course improvements are always welcome, but for now, it is the best product of its kind.
    edited December 2016 williamlondonDave Spence
  • Reply 34 of 87
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    The positive reviews are making this soo tempting, the tech really cool, but it is too pricey for me. Sadly, there will probably only be coal in my Christmas stocking.
    Dave Spence
  • Reply 35 of 87
    From now on, it will be a lot of smashing head robbery 
  • Reply 36 of 87
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    can we please have a black version... !
    Totally! They would look so good in black.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    I must admit to having built my enthusiasm for purchasing and using AirPods to a level which I must now redress. They are, in many respects, exactly as I imagined they'd be...a breeze to use as audio transducers and noise cancelling microphone. The package is elegantly designed and its functionality well executed... psst...Someone needs to make a silicon sleeve for the case to protect its gloss white finish.

The following is written as an audio/music buff: This is where the AirPods so woefully fail to deliver. The mid-range frequencies are too hard and reminiscent of the sound one got from early CD players. In fact the AirPods have now twice induced a headache once I exceed 1.5-2 hours continuous use. AirPods fall well short of "Audiophile" quality earphones. My wired Etymotics trounce the AirPods in every area of sound reproduction.

I would love too see Apple have the guts to publish independent test measurements for the AirPods; e.g., frequency response, s-n, distortion, separation, phase, and other measurements to boot. Alas, I cannot see that happening.

Given they are 1st generation some leeway should be given. Oh, and the price reduced by $25.00.
    Dave Spence
  • Reply 38 of 87

The following is written as an audio/music buff: This is where the AirPods so woefully fail to deliver. The mid-range frequencies are too hard and reminiscent of the sound one got from early CD players. In fact the AirPods have now twice induced a headache once I exceed 1.5-2 hours continuous use. AirPods fall well short of "Audiophile" quality earphones. My wired Etymotics trounce the AirPods in every area of sound reproduction.

I would love too see Apple have the guts to publish independent test measurements for the AirPods; e.g., frequency response, s-n, distortion, separation, phase, and other measurements to boot. Alas, I cannot see that happening.

Given they are 1st generation some leeway should be given. Oh, and the price reduced by $25.00.
    Funny that you mentioned Etymotic, because I have hf5 which costed me $200 with a very decent sound quality and poor comfort. I hate it so much I throw it out to ebay in a week. Sound is okay for a cord earphone but it is really uncomfortable in my ears, not to mention the cheap quality feel considering it cost almost $50 more than Airpods. I think the easy use and sleek comfort of Airpods alone easily trounce Etymotic, while sound quality is highly subjective, I prefer Airpods sound.
    edited December 2016 williamlondonDave Spence
  • Reply 39 of 87
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    sog35 said:
    talexy said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    Wow.

First 5 out of 5 I've seen on this site.

I agree 100%

A key is to pair this with an Apple watch so you can easily skip tracks and adjust volume.

I read something about settings for the AirPods, where you could choose between basic tap controls and Siri. Tried that?
    Yes. I switched between, Pause/Play, and Siri.  Even switched it to off and on again.

None of them worked. 

probably defective, but won't return it until I can get another pair off the shelf
    I suspect you know this already, but be sure toured doing a 'firm' double tap. 
  • Reply 40 of 87
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    A great review, because of the personal and detailed observations that matter. Also, thanks to others for some good posts here.

Looking forward to getting mine. Looks like Apple is working hard on wearable AR.
    Dave Spence