Latest 4K drone footage of Apple's 'spaceship' Campus 2 shows interior auditorium work, significant.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2016
The latest drone footage of Apple's new headquarters under construction taken on Christmas day shows much of the heavy equipment gone, with the entire site's landscaping being developed on a larger scale than previously seen.

Across the campus, the solar installation campus-wide estimated to be around 65 percent complete. Additionally, a small solar array has popped up on ground level near the Tantau Avenue facility.

The circular auditorium has been partially un-clad, with a lot of scaffolding inside. Workers appear to be focusing on the interior build-out of the structure.

Besides just the solar installation, much work has taken place on the Tantau Avenue facilities. The majority of the work on research and development building is inside now, with the exteriors very near completion.

Many kinds of California-native trees have been planted around the facility. Weaving through the trees, walkways have been poured all over campus.

Notably, the mountain of thousands of tons of dirt for landscaping and to cover up the underground parking garage is completely gone.

In 2011, Steve Jobs announced the project to the world, saying over 12,000 employees would work in the 2.8-million-square-foot "Spaceship" structure. Edible landscaping, walking paths, and other "green" improvements are in the process of construction, to minimize the impact the facility makes on the environment.

Apple's related Phase 2 adjacent project adds additional workspace, and includes a renewable energy-powered small data center.

Apple's micro-grid is reportedly capable of handling about 75 percent of Campus 2 power requirements during work hours, supplemented by Bloom Energy-provided fuel cells. Bloom Energy provided similar cells, currently in use at Apple's North Carolina data center.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Just curious. Is that roof on the theatre a solar panel? If not, why a big reflective panel? Doesn't that just bounce more heat into the atmosphere?
    dysamoriaNotsofast
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    The theater roof is not solar, but is the largest carbon fiber roof in the world.
    jay-tquadra 610bigpicsstantheman
  • Reply 3 of 20
    techno said:
    Just curious. Is that roof on the theatre a solar panel? If not, why a big reflective panel? Doesn't that just bounce more heat into the atmosphere?
    It might reflect existing heat, but it would not add any additional heat.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    techno said:
    Bounce heat away from the earth?
    doctor davidpatchythepirateStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 20
    This campus is amazing.  I hope when it is finished there will be a full video (maybe documentary) on its construction from day one.  The amount of thinking and planning that must be gone into this is mind-blowing.

I would love to hear about the people intimately involved in making this campus a reality.  And I can't wait to see the inside and seeing people work in their office spaces.

I know Apple is getting pounded on for this and that (especially this latest Macbook Pro/Consumer Reports thing), but honestly hardly anyone takes into account that the whole damn company is moving into a new campus.  That is no excuse, I agree, but still at the end of the day these things just don't happen automatically and without some disruption. 

Anyway, the campus is amazing and these videos are pretty awesome too! :smile: 

mwhitemacxpresspatchythepiratestantheman
  • Reply 6 of 20
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Edible landscaping, walking paths, and other "green" improvements are in the process of construction, to minimize the impact the facility makes on the environment.
    Spinach? Lettuce? Cabbage? Parsley?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 20
    linkman said:
    Edible landscaping, walking paths, and other "green" improvements are in the process of construction, to minimize the impact the facility makes on the environment.
    Nah, Brocolli everywhere.

steveau
  • Reply 8 of 20
    amarkap said:
    This campus is amazing.  I hope when it is finished there will be a full video (maybe documentary) on its construction from day one.  The amount of thinking and planning that must be gone into this is mind-blowing.

I would love to hear about the people intimately involved in making this campus a reality.  And I can't wait to see the inside and seeing people work in their office spaces.

I know Apple is getting pounded on for this and that (especially this latest Macbook Pro/Consumer Reports thing), but honestly hardly anyone takes into account that the whole damn company is moving into a new campus.  That is no excuse, I agree, but still at the end of the day these things just don't happen automatically and without some disruption. 

Anyway, the campus is amazing and these videos are pretty awesome too! smile 

Yes!  At the very least, a guided tour of the campus similar to what Jackie Kennedy gave when she and JFK entered the White House:

And then this:

pscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 20
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Incredible campus.  Because we don't see any people, the scale is hard to imagine.  I think it's going to be unbelievable especially when it eventually leaves the ground and flies away.  

No way that campus is ready for March or April.   June at the earliest.  And while I don't know local laws/regulations, I would assume all the buildings need to be inspected and have a Certificate of Occupancy before anyone is permitted to work there (unless local laws permit the engineers to sign off).  The associated inspections alone could take a month.  That is a huge place to inspect and there's so much new technology in its construction, I don't know how the local inspectors will even be able to assess it.   These are people who usually just check to make sure the electrical panels are wired to code and the elevators aren't going to crash.

I think those who think Apple is going to do tours of the campus for the public are a bit naive.  I can't see that happening as Apple is so paranoid about security.  But a coffee-table book and/or a documentary about the construction...I'd be surprised if someone wasn't documenting the whole thing for just that reason.

I think I'd hate it if someone I needed to deal with on a daily basis was 180 degrees away from me.  On the other hand, it's an excuse to spend a lot of the day outside. - I wonder how long it would take to walk cross the inner courtyard of the spaceship and if raining, how long it would take to walk 180 degrees inside.   I also wonder how much use all those walking paths will get.   And it will be interesting to see if getting in and out each day is smooth or leads to incredible traffic jams. 

I noticed on YouTube that there's several other drone captures of the campus taken presumably on the same day, although they're inferior to this one.   I wonder if anyone has lost a drone on the campus while shooting.   It's too bad all these drone videos seem to be taken on early Sunday mornings (judging from the lack of traffic and no campus activity).   I'd love to see one that demonstrates the buzz of construction activity and another one later after the campus is fully occupied.  
  • Reply 10 of 20
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    zoetmb said:
    Incredible campus.  Because we don't see any people, the scale is hard to imagine.  I think it's going to be unbelievable especially when it eventually leaves the ground and flies away.  

No way that campus is ready for March or April.   June at the earliest.  And while I don't know local laws/regulations, I would assume all the buildings need to be inspected and have a Certificate of Occupancy before anyone is permitted to work there (unless local laws permit the engineers to sign off).  The associated inspections alone could take a month.  That is a huge place to inspect and there's so much new technology in its construction, I don't know how the local inspectors will even be able to assess it.   These are people who usually just check to make sure the electrical panels are wired to code and the elevators aren't going to crash.

I think those who think Apple is going to do tours of the campus for the public are a bit naive.  I can't see that happening as Apple is so paranoid about security.  But a coffee-table book and/or a documentary about the construction...I'd be surprised if someone wasn't documenting the whole thing for just that reason.

I think I'd hate it if someone I needed to deal with on a daily basis was 180 degrees away from me.  On the other hand, it's an excuse to spend a lot of the day outside. - I wonder how long it would take to walk cross the inner courtyard of the spaceship and if raining, how long it would take to walk 180 degrees inside.   I also wonder how much use all those walking paths will get.   And it will be interesting to see if getting in and out each day is smooth or leads to incredible traffic jams. 

I noticed on YouTube that there's several other drone captures of the campus taken presumably on the same day, although they're inferior to this one.   I wonder if anyone has lost a drone on the campus while shooting.   It's too bad all these drone videos seem to be taken on early Sunday mornings (judging from the lack of traffic and no campus activity).   I'd love to see one that demonstrates the buzz of construction activity and another one later after the campus is fully occupied.  
    The scale is humongous. I drove by many times I couldn't take my eyes off it. Unfortunately for the business lease in the area because landlord jack up the lease price 400%...A guy I know owing a restaurant across street from the Spaceship and his lease jumps from $17,000 to $70,000/month. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 11 of 20
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Duncan Sinfield shot a Christmas morning video as well, 

I like that in his comments he wrote "Apple die hards only".
    Solipropodpatchythepirate
  • Reply 12 of 20
    stompy said:

Nice!  I like the music and the arial view with the mountains in the background.  

We used to live in Saratoga, about 5.5 miles from the Spaceshipe site...  Traffic was always a bear to/from that area -- suspect it will be even worse when the  new site is fully populated.
    edited December 2016 stompy
  • Reply 13 of 20
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    ireland said:
    techno said:
    There's something to be said about that.  There was a nascent movement to build or paint the earth's roofs' white to increase the planet's albedo and therefore indeed reflect light energy back into space.  I believe since then, a number of scientists and/or engineers have questioned this as global warming mitigation strategy...  ...however, the principle does seem to have been involved in the (fairly strongly?) hypothesized "snowball earth" phase - an ancient ice age de tutti ice ages that presumably saw the whole planet covered in a thick mantle of ice even at the equator.

However this would have started (I forget the hypothesis), it's kind of the obverse of the runaway greenhouse effect, i.e., the more the earth was covered in ice, the greater its reflectivity, and the greater its reflectivity, the more light energy (and therefore heat) reflected away, so the colder and icier it got.  

As I recall the path out is hypothesized to be a period of intense volcanic activity which eventually led back to a heat-trapping atmosphere which began the process of melting the ice..... 
  • Reply 14 of 20
    bigpics said:
    ireland said:
    techno said:
    There's something to be said about that.  There was a nascent movement to build or paint the earth's roofs' white to increase the planet's albedo and therefore indeed reflect light energy back into space.  I believe since then, a number of scientists and/or engineers have questioned this as global warming mitigation strategy...  ...however, the principle does seem to have been involved in the (fairly strongly?) hypothesized "snowball earth" phase - an ancient ice age de tutti ice ages that presumably saw the whole planet covered in a thick mantle of ice even at the equator.

However this would have started (I forget the hypothesis), it's kind of the obverse of the runaway greenhouse effect, i.e., the more the earth was covered in ice, the greater its reflectivity, and the greater its reflectivity, the more light energy (and therefore heat) reflected away, so the colder and icier it got.  

As I recall the path out is hypothesized to be a period of intense volcanic activity which eventually led back to a heat-trapping atmosphere which began the process of melting the ice..... 
    Mmm...

Maybe they're going to paint the theatre roof in alternate sections of white and black to get a solar effect like this:

Whee... Spin me!

edited December 2016 bigpics
  • Reply 15 of 20
    ai46ai46 Posts: 56member
    techno said:
    FYI, the theater roof is reputedly the world's largest carbon fiber roof. Earlier videos show it in various stages of assembly.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    stompy said:

I don't know why AI never links to his videos. IMO, they are better in every way than everyone else's videos.
    macxpresspropodstompystantheman
  • Reply 17 of 20
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    WooHoo!!!!
    Apple Posts New Completion Timetable!!
    "Almost certainly this decade!", says an ecstatic Tim Cook,
    "But, absolutely, definitely this century!...(and this time, I mean it!)"
     :D  :D :D

• Reply 18 of 20
    zoetmb said:
    That's a lot of concern. Like most large offices I've worked in, I'd bet teams of related people will be in close proximity to each other. Sometimes some travel is still required; at Target corporate I was IT in one building and our business customer was in another so we'd occasionally have to take a 10 minute walk. I rather enjoyed this. 
    pscooter63patchythepirate
  • Reply 19 of 20
    linkman said:

Close. It's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme.
    JinTechradarthekatboredumb
  • Reply 20 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    zoetmb said:
    I think I'd hate it if someone I needed to deal with on a daily basis was 180 degrees away from me.
    I don't get this. I wouldn't think Apple would place people that need to work physically together on opposite ends of the ring, but consider that right now Apple is using building in many different locations that require a car ride or crossing a busy street, and even after this new campus is completed they will still have 1 Infinite Loop and there are dozens of new buildings that are part of Campus 2 that are further away and across the street from the ring.
    patchythepirate