Apple rumored to introduce 5" 'iPhone 7s' in 2017 with vertical dual-lens array

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2016
A rumor out of East Asia on Tuesday claims Apple will add a third form factor to its iPhone lineup in 2017, specifically a mid-sized 5-inch handset said to share internal components next year's 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch "s" cycle offerings.

Citing sources within Apple's Taiwanese supply chain, Mac Otakara reports the rumored 5-inch model will boast identical specifications as expected from "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus" variants, suggesting the addition is a mere extension of the smartphone lineup.

The supposed 5-inch iteration is also rumored to feature a dual-lens camera array with iSight modules arranged vertically rather than the horizontal configuration introduced with iPhone 6s Plus. Whether the design change extends to the "iPhone 7s Plus" -- and potentially "iPhone 7s" -- is unclear.

Apple's plans could change, however, as Taiwanese suppliers are expecting to receive finalized specifications some time in the first quarter of 2017, the report said.

Today's report adds to a growing pile of rumors surrounding next-generation iPhone hardware, but conflicts with predictions that have Apple launching three iPhone models in 2017. In particular, the company is said to market a pair of iPhone 7 upgrades alongside a high-end "iPhone 8" or "iPhone X."

According to well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the top-tier model will feature exotic technology like a flexible OLED screen measuring 5.1 or 5.2 inches, invisible Touch ID home button, wireless charging and a "glass sandwich" enclosure.

The Mac Otakara report seems to back up Kuo's claims of a 5-inch form factor, but deviates on internal specifications and place in Apple's smartphone lineup. While mere speculation, Apple might be asking certain suppliers to ready components for a mid-size "s" cycle iPhone chassis as plans for an "iPhone 8" solidify. OLED yields, for example, are of particular concern for a handset produced at scale, while bleeding edge tech like long-distance wireless charging is as yet unproven.

The outlook for next year's "s" cycle hardware is similarly murky. Recent rumblings claim the "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus" variants will retain the aesthetic debuted with iPhone 7 in September and might not include OLED displays or wireless charging, but reports are conflicting at best.
zohaali146

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I'm going to guess there will not be anything other than 7s variants. 
    Whatever the supposed oled 8 was supposed to be is NOT going to be ready. And like this time last year when it was becoming apparent that the 7 would be a 6 variant, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Rushing a product that's not ready can blow up in people's face. Literally.

Not only that, I love my 7 and SE. I'm glad I skipped the ugly 6 series. Looking at my 5S the 6 series always felt like a downgrade. 
    A 7s would not be the worst thing in the world. It's not like a junky Pixel or S8 would take the spotlight and take sales. 

A 7s is a perfectly fine 2017 iPhone.
    ksecnetmagecalimike1
  • Reply 2 of 38
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    I love my 7 plus too. It's the best phone and mobile device on the market period. What exactly is the problem here?
    qwweraMetriacanthosauruswatto_cobracali
  • Reply 3 of 38
    I really hope that they update the SE with new processors. I don't necessarily care that much about this year, but next year it's a must since I'll need to upgrade. Either that or at least they need to make the iPhone 7S capable of having it's keyboard slid to the side so I can still type one handed.
    netmageqwweraration al
  • Reply 4 of 38
    tyler82 said:
    I love my 7 plus too. It's the best phone and mobile device on the market period. What exactly is the problem here?
    It's a problem for those who think new exterior design = innovation. And you know how the tech media is. They will go nuclear with the "Apple has lost its mojo" reports.
    netmagecaliqwweraStrangeDaysration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 38
    If they go edge to edge, but not increase the size of the screen - it would be a smaller phone. 

Perhaps this is just a way of testing that size. 
    qwwerawatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 38
    qwwera said:
    No. Just what the hell are they doing in Cupertino then? At some point people are going to stop upgrading because the hardware inside is good enough. And if it looks the same on the outside there really is no point to upgrade.
    cali
  • Reply 7 of 38
    qwwera said:

Not only that, I love my 7 and SE. I'm glad I skipped the ugly 6 series. Looking at my 5S the 6 series always felt like a downgrade. 
    A 7s would not be the worst thing in the world. It's not like a junky Pixel or S8 would take the spotlight and take sales. 

Uh...what?  You "love" your 7, but the 99% identical-looking 6 was intolerable?  I guess this is why it pays to have a marketing department.
    williamlondonnetmagecali
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Worth posting 3 times!
    The 6 looked like it was wearing a thong.

The whole story sounds like a "release nonsense to find out where the leaks are coming from".
    williamlondonqwwera
  • Reply 9 of 38
    evilution said:
    Worth posting 3 times!

The whole story sounds like a "release nonsense to find out where the leaks are coming from".
    I doubt they did it on purpose...its this stupid forum software. Happens all the time. 

Yes, this is another lets throw shit at the wall and see what sticks rumor. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 10 of 38
    evilution said:
    Worth posting 3 times!

The real problem is that Jony and team found absolutely nothing wrong with the hideous design of the antennae lines on the six thus it was released that way it's troubling when regular people have to point out to seasoned designers that something is wack, what exactly was so difficult with the iP6 having the iP7 antennae design, they are basically the same just that the 7's is more asthetically pleasing. My theory is that what's probably happening is that with ID having more power at Apple the team is now more involved with everything that makes the product including internal hardwear that should hav nothing to do with ID, they are now taking on hardwear engineering and trying to solve hardwear problems, as engineers care about it just working and ID want it to work in the smallest volume, too much time is spent considering technology and manufacturing processes, to me it seems like the designers are thinking more and more like hardwear guys, with a balance of the best compromises and the fundamental look and feel of Apple products are slipping to strictly utilitarian designs IMHO, just look at the magic mouse 2, from a utilitarian view the charging port is at the most optimum location, throw in an "awesome" feature like charge for 15min and get extra usage I case battery dies mid use, an engeneer looks at this and thinks "great days work" a designer looks at this and hurls, than he figures out a solution hey why not make the glass surface pop open and held up by stiff springs, a gap just big enough to fit a lightning connector in on either end, now you can charge while still using and when finished remove cable, pop the lid back down, done!!!
    netmagemike1
  • Reply 11 of 38
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    qwwera said:
    I'm going to guess there will not be anything other than 7s variants. 
    Whatever the supposed oled 8 was supposed to be is NOT going to be ready. And like this time last year when it was becoming apparent that the 7 would be a 6 variant, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Rushing a product that's not ready can blow up in people's face. Literally.

I don't see anything wrong with iPhone 7s either. The Dual Camera in 7 was really a job half done. I could see some substantial improvement on camera.

Despite similar looking, the 7 actually has a slightly different antenna design, I am sure this will be worked on in 7s to further hide the white colouring band. The Jet Black was a test I hope to do that. This along with new Baseband controller, will hopefully leap ahead or at least reach top of the pack in Radio signal performance. 

A10 Fusion was the first step in Performance and Battey balance. A11 with 10nm will likely brings even further efficiency improvement. And if Apple finally decide to use a decent Baseband controller on 16/14nm, that is another power efficiency improvement. 

On Wireless, if Apple's W1 is any indication, it is possible Apple will have their own WiFi and Bluetooth intergrated, further saving cost and battery life. 

The screen could also see a improvement to OLED, Samsung's latest OLED finally moved past Apple's LCD in every department, including energy efficiency in normal usage. ( White colour ). Adopting OLED means an average 5-10% energy saving compared to LCD according to displaymate.

Assuming no further improvement on battery as Apple very likely to be extremely careful with any battery improvement after Samsung incident. All this could add up anywhere 10-20% reduction in energy usage. Bringing in anywhere between 11% to 25% increase in usage time. 

And if if you add the rumoured Dual Sim features that is extremely popular in China and India. I say that alone is good enough for 7S. 

P.S - As with any "S" year, the main features is with iOS improvement. 
    edited December 2016 propodqwwera
  • Reply 12 of 38
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I believe Apple test Form factor rather then Screen Size. I.e they decide the current size is about what they like their iPhone to be. 

If you scale the iPhone 4.7 screen size to its Edge, You get about 5- 5.1" screen size. For the Plus you get about 5.8-5.9".

However I don't believe such tech; the TouchID under screen, is ready next year. More likely for 2018. 
  • Reply 14 of 38
    qwwera said:
    No. Just what the hell are they doing in Cupertino then? At some point people are going to stop upgrading because the hardware inside is good enough. And if it looks the same on the outside there really is no point to upgrade.
    So you're asking apple to do change for change's sake? Contrary to their well documented corporate culture of not doing so, specifically? So bizarre. 

Do do you expect your notebook to have new shell designs each year? Your TV? Blender? Obviously not. Then why this tool?

The suggestion that they're not doing any work because same shell is, simply, absurd. Nearly all the tech in these devices gets better and better each year. They don't improve themselves. 
    ration alpatchythepiratecali
  • Reply 15 of 38

holyone said:
    evilution said:
    Worth posting 3 times!

The real problem is that Jony and team found absolutely nothing wrong with the hideous design of the antennae lines on the six thus it was released that way it's troubling when regular people have to point out to seasoned designers that something is wack, what exactly was so difficult with the iP6 having the iP7 antennae design, they are basically the same just that the 7's is more asthetically pleasing. My theory is that what's probably happening is that with ID having more power at Apple the team is now more involved with everything that makes the product including internal hardwear that should hav nothing to do with ID, they are now taking on hardwear engineering and trying to solve hardwear problems, as engineers care about it just working and ID want it to work in the smallest volume, too much time is spent considering technology and manufacturing processes, to me it seems like the designers are thinking more and more like hardwear guys, with a balance of the best compromises and the fundamental look and feel of Apple products are slipping to strictly utilitarian designs IMHO, just look at the magic mouse 2, from a utilitarian view the charging port is at the most optimum location, throw in an "awesome" feature like charge for 15min and get extra usage I case battery dies mid use, an engeneer looks at this and thinks "great days work" a designer looks at this and hurls, than he figures out a solution hey why not make the glass surface pop open and held up by stiff springs, a gap just big enough to fit a lightning connector in on either end, now you can charge while still using and when finished remove cable, pop the lid back down, done!!!
    1) If for some reason you didn't charge your mouse in the last month, it only takes 2 minutes to quick charge, not 15. I have never, ever, needed to use the mouse while plugged in. If you had one you'd realize this. 

2) Are you honestly faulting Apple for having a 7 with better antenna placement than the 6, which came before it? You do realize they don't have a time machine, right? Antenna lines aren't simply an aesthetic choice, it's hardware engineering and with that comes constraints. In product development, things improve linearly. You build it one way first, then figure out ways to make it better. You can't magically make it the better way without having made it the first way first. That's why a Porche 911 today looks better than one from 20 years ago. But it's nonsensical to fault the older one for not being the newer one. 
    edited December 2016 ration alpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 38
    What would be the optical utility of changing the position of the lens, and if it's better why didn't they do it in the first place? That's my problem with this claim (also the claimed size of the phone). As it stands, it looks like this change would only serve to make it impossible to use existing cases with the new phone. That's not an Apple behavior (yet).
  • Reply 17 of 38

holyone said:
    evilution said:
    Worth posting 3 times!

1) If for some reason you didn't charge your mouse in the last month, it only takes 2 minutes to quick charge, not 15. I have never, ever, needed to use the mouse while plugged in. If you had one you'd realize this. 

2) Are you honestly faulting Apple for having a 7 with better antenna placement than the 6, which came before it? You do realize they don't have a time machine, right? Antenna lines aren't simply an aesthetic choice, it's hardware engineering and with that comes constraints. In product development, things improve linearly. You build it one way first, then figure out ways to make it better. You can't magically make it the better way without having made it the first way first. That's why a Porche 911 today looks better than one from 20 years ago. But it's nonsensical to fault the older one for not being the newer one. 
    1) yes got my numbers confused there, but my point still stands that locations for the charging port isn't very esthetic, usable, but a better solution could have been devised. Again just because you never do something doesn't mean no one els does

2) yes I am faulting Apple, you might not realize but the bands across the back of the six aren't all antenna as far as I'm aware, the designers were trying to keep and continue a generational look from the 5 & 5s forward, the bottom line now removed from the the 7 was just for aesthetics, if it was as important as you claim Apple would have made a bigger deal about the technical achievement of removing it, but phill mentioned the bands as going across at the top and being less visible inadvertently admitting that the old "design" decision was incorrect, but regardless Apple could have very easily made the 6 with the 7's design simply because as we all know Apple probably had the 7 design even befor releasing the 6 they don't develop iPhones in one year, right now they are likely finalizing models coming out two years from now, so that excuse is weak.
  • Reply 18 of 38

holyone said:
    evilution said:
    Worth posting 3 times!

1) yes got my numbers confused there, but my point still stands that locations for the charging port isn't very esthetic, usable, but a better solution could have been devised. Again just because you never do something doesn't mean no one els does

2) yes I am faulting Apple, you might not realize but the bands across the back of the six aren't all antenna as far as I'm aware, the designers were trying to keep and continue a generational look from the 5 & 5s forward, the bottom line now removed from the the 7 was just for aesthetics, if it was as important as you claim Apple would have made a bigger deal about the technical achievement of removing it, but phill mentioned the bands as going across at the top and being less visible inadvertently admitting that the old "design" decision was incorrect, but regardless Apple could have very easily made the 6 with the 7's design simply because as we all know Apple probably had the 7 design even befor releasing the 6 they don't develop iPhones in one year, right now they are likely finalizing models coming out two years from now, so that excuse is weak.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    tyler82 said:
    It's a problem for those who think new exterior design = innovation. And you know how the tech media is. They will go nuclear with the "Apple has lost its mojo" reports.
    tyler82 said:
    Expecting new exterior is not a bad thing. I also wish to invest into something that looks great in my hand.
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing. What I'm saying is that looking different doesn't automatically equate to being better or innovative. A great example is the Porsche 911. It has retained the same basic design since the 60s with incremental updates to the exterior here and there. But you rarely (if ever) hear people say that it's boring or lacks innovation because it has retained the same basic exterior design even though, under the hood, the car has gotten much better in many ways.
    StrangeDayswonkothesanecali
  • Reply 20 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Of course "plans could change". That's how rumor mongers stay in business. The rumor is never wrong. Apple changed its plans. 

I dont buy a 5" in addition to the 4.7" and 5.5". It makes no sense. 
    canukstormcali