Apple saw twice as many mobile device activations this holiday as Samsung, data shows

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Is this just in the United States? and should we trust this data anymore than IDC or Slice Analytics?

Flurry has analytics software installed inside of Apps. They aren't 100% accurate but they would be better than IDC (who don't get data directly from devices) or Slice (who monitor email receipts from people who opt in to their tracking and extrapolate that to a larger population). Flurry deals more in ratios between companies than outright claims about something like device sales.
    So Flurry is spyware?

There are several analytics companies where you embed code from them directly into your App. The idea being you get access to specific information from your users without having to do the data logging themselves. Some also provide information on App crashes to help you with finding bugs.

Some developers might just insert the code without checking it over (perhaps a recommendation from another developer), but you know there are developers who will analyze the code to see if anything nefarious is happening. So I'd think they are pretty safe.
  • Reply 22 of 34

For Microsoft to become the first trillion dollar company, they need to sell the Surface Studio in iPhone-like quantities.

For Apple to become the first trillion dollar company, they need to licence out macOS, iOS and possibly watchOS as well. They also need to significantly drop the number of iPhone sold per quarter so that the revenue matches their software and services revenue and others.

Ideally, income should be divided as 25% iPhone sales, 25% Mac and iPad sales, 25% Services and 25% Others (Watch, etc.). Once they drop their iPhone sales to reach this ratio, watch the stock price soar!

/s

edited December 2016
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Where's the Pixel?
    douglas bailey
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Where's the Pixel?
     Exactly what I want to know.

Must not rate.
    watto_cobraequality72521
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Context: Apple had 44% of activations for the Christmas period in 2016, but 49% of activations for the same period in 2015. A 5% drop, while not huge, is not insubstantial. 
    gatorguybrucemc
  • Reply 26 of 34
    And who are the "Others" accounting for 22%? More than Samsung.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Where's the Pixel?
    Google's phones never sell in high numbers. Its probably a good thing too because their support absolutely SUCKS! I don't even really know why they keep trying to make their own phone...it never really sells. It should also piss off the other manufacturers of Android phones. They have a hard enough time as it is and now Google wants to make a phone that competes with the very manufacturers that use your mobile OS. Its just like Microsoft making computers all of a sudden. 
    watto_cobraequality72521
  • Reply 28 of 34

freeper said:
    Context: Apple had 44% of activations for the Christmas period in 2016, but 49% of activations for the same period in 2015. A 5% drop, while not huge, is not insubstantial. 
    Well I think Tim should be fired for this! 
  • Reply 29 of 34
    This seems to indicate that Apple is doing something right yet an earlier article bemoans the fact that Siri lost out heavily to Alexa.

Perhaps the real fact is that for most Apple users something like Siri/Cortana/Alexa/Hey Google is just not that important in the grand scheme of things.

C'mon Apple, how hard is it to come up with a competing product.  Let me guess, when it does finally come out they will have a big event.  They are too distracted with the spaceship while the competition comes out with new products. 
    brucemc
  • Reply 30 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I don't get their rationale for calling a 3.5inch phone a "Medium" sized phone.   It's the smallest I am aware of today.   The graphs would be interesting if they re-categorized the SE as a small phone.

For myself, as I get increasingly into athletics (while carrying my phone) I am considering making my next phone an SE so it is, as Steve Jobs said, the optimal size for a mobile phone.   (BTW, I think Jobs was thinking of the phone primarily as a phone rather than an internet browser.  And, at that time, it was.)
  • Reply 31 of 34
    I don't get their rationale for calling a 3.5inch phone a "Medium" sized phone.   It's the smallest I am aware of today.   The graphs would be interesting if they re-categorized the SE as a small phone.

For myself, as I get increasingly into athletics (while carrying my phone) I am considering making my next phone an SE so it is, as Steve Jobs said, the optimal size for a mobile phone.   (BTW, I think Jobs was thinking of the phone primarily as a phone rather than an internet browser.  And, at that time, it was.)
    ?

Jobs said that 3.5 inches was the optimal size. The SE is 4 inches. Apple's first 4 inch phone was the iphone 5, released a year after Jobs died.

brucemc
  • Reply 32 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    hungover said:

Jobs said that 3.5 inches was the optimal size. The SE is 4 inches. Apple's first 4 inch phone was the iphone 5, released a year after Jobs died.
    And it was, then. Neither the HW and culture wasn't ready for a larger display. The major complains about the iPhone in 2007 was that it huge and the display was ridiculously large and needed a physical keyboard. Do you know what happens if Apple used a 4", 4.7" or 5.5" display with that PPI? Much higher cost, much slower UI, more power used for the CPU and GPU, and much less battery life or having to include a much larger battery which also increases cost, makes the device larger and heavier. No where did Jobs ever say that a 3.5" iPhone display is the only display that the iPhone should ever have, and we know that this isn't all Cooks doing simply by looking at the timelines of when Jobs was CEO and when they projects would have been in development.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    frantisek said:
    And who are the "Others" accounting for 22%? More than Samsung.
    Flurry gather data from (some apps) on iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry and browsers using HTML 5.

They refuse to make their methodology public knowledge so I am inclined to assume that they know that their results won't stand up to scrutiny.

But hey, it's free publicity for them and at this time of the year many "news" sites just want cheap stories to copy'n'paste.

• Reply 34 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:
    Is this just in the United States? and should we trust this data anymore than IDC or Slice Analytics?

Flurry has analytics software installed inside of Apps. They aren't 100% accurate but they would be better than IDC (who don't get data directly from devices) or Slice (who monitor email receipts from people who opt in to their tracking and extrapolate that to a larger population). Flurry deals more in ratios between companies than outright claims about something like device sales.
    So Flurry is spyware?
    Years ago there was an analytics company that got into trouble for how they were recording and storing data via mobile apps and their users. I think this resulted in Apple eventually disallowing the UDID or hiding the UDID or some other device identifier from apps in favor of one specifically for advertisers to use. Doesn't anyone recall this? I thought because of Flurry, but I'm not certain.
    @Soli ;
    It could have been Flurry.  http://davidbarnard.com/post/58969170427/apple-deprecated-flurrys-data
    Soli