NBC's cash-strapped 'Breaking News' app & social media feeds to shut down this week

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    StacyDStacyD Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This is THE ONLY news app I have found that pushed breaking news with ZERO editorializing, spinning, or opining. It links to a plethora of sources when news was breaking and is informative with no fluff. I agree with the previous comment that readers are skewed. We should be able to ascertain fact from opinion anytime we are fed news from any source.  I would have gladly paid for this app. 

Now I will ask again, has anyone found a decent enough, semi-comparable alternative? 
    drhouckjrckm2016
  • Reply 22 of 34
    StacyD said:
    This is THE ONLY news app I have found that pushed breaking news with ZERO editorializing, spinning, or opining. It links to a plethora of sources when news was breaking and is informative with no fluff. I agree with the previous comment that readers are skewed. We should be able to ascertain fact from opinion anytime we are fed news from any source.  I would have gladly paid for this app. 

Now I will ask again, has anyone found a decent enough, semi-comparable alternative? 
    You are absolutely correct in your description of this app.

Take the perception of NBC out of the picture and imagine raw information from hundreds of sources around the world, delivered verbatim as it happens.  This is what these folks did, and they did a hell of a job.  The user decides whether the information is relevant or not.
    I know news producers that use this app to get the latest info and stay on top of things around the world that most of us don't even hear about.

I have used this app for quite a while and also would have paid to keep it.  I have not found a comparable replacement, damnit.
    StacyDdrhouckjrckm2016
  • Reply 23 of 34
    sandor said:
    razormaid said:
    Does anyone know a good alternative?
    Smoke signals?  A local homeless person?  Anyone who has not watched news in the 20 years or so?  Anyone one of those sources would be better that the garbage they spewed. 

Sorry
    The "garbage" they spewed were from different news sources and social media. About as unbiased as you can get. Again, news isn't biased. The reader is. 
    facts aren't biased, but the presentation of them can be greatly so. news is the presentation. yes, news can be biased.
    News isn't biased. News is the factual dissemination of events.

Propaganda, now that can be biased. If that's what the complaint is over the Breaking News app, those complaining have never used the app. They are just tooting their own propaganda as the "news". 
    drhouckjr
  • Reply 23 of 34
    razormaid said:
    Smoke signals?  A local homeless person?  Anyone who has not watched news in the 20 years or so?  Anyone one of those sources would be better that the garbage they spewed. 

Sorry
    The "garbage" they spewed were from different news sources and social media. About as unbiased as you can get. Again, news isn't biased. The reader is. 
    Somehow, I don't think that word, "news", means what you think it means.

A pure, dictionary definition of "news" does mean unbiased but anyone who has seen NBC news (and the rest) slip into wholesale non-reporting, mis-reporting, fabrication, and idiocy perceives that NBC (and the rest) don't present the dictionary defined, unbiased "news".  They present a biased view of the "news"; they push their own agenda through the "news".  NBC (and the rest) deliver a highly scripted and prejudiced/slanted view of the news.

I wish-to-God that the news that NBC pushed on us was unbiased.  That would be a change of direction that almost all Americans would love to see and hear.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    sandor said:
    razormaid said:

Sorry
    facts aren't biased, but the presentation of them can be greatly so. news is the presentation. yes, news can be biased.
    Exactly.  Fox News clearly has a bias and makes no apologies for it.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    ErvErv Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    If someone wants to invest in me I could build that same setup for a quarter of the budget they had.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 27 of 34
    hike1272 said:
    razormaid said:

Sorry
    Somehow, I don't think that word, "news", means what you think it means.

A pure, dictionary definition of "news" does mean unbiased but anyone who has seen NBC news (and the rest) slip into wholesale non-reporting, mis-reporting, fabrication, and idiocy perceives that NBC (and the rest) don't present the dictionary defined, unbiased "news".  They present a biased view of the "news"; they push their own agenda through the "news".  NBC (and the rest) deliver a highly scripted and prejudiced/slanted view of the news.

I wish-to-God that the news that NBC pushed on us was unbiased.  That would be a change of direction that almost all Americans would love to see and hear.
    Again, then you never used the app. The app used sources from all over the globe. News organizations AND social media.

I won't go directly to NBC to get my news, the same as I won't go to Fox to get my news. That doesn't mean that either organization doesn't sometimes break news stories. That's the job this app did. Find breaking news and report it(85+% of the time with a media organization link/social media link). From all sources.

You have a grip against NBC, that's fine. That gripe doesn't belong in this conversation, because the app is not directly NBC news based. 
  • Reply 28 of 34

sandor said:
    razormaid said:

Sorry
    Exactly.  Fox News clearly has a bias and makes no apologies for it.
    Then that's not news, is it. It's propaganda. 
  • Reply 29 of 34
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Good. It was likely heavily slanted and provided little real value. 
    Insightful review.
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 30 of 34
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member

rnb2 said:
    The abject ignorance being exhibited here is galling, and obviously comes from people who have never actually used the app (and one who apparently used to, but made an incorrect assumption after the NBC purchase).

As the story states, the most recent reviews on the App Store are mourning the loss of the app because it pulled from many sources around the world, and didn't editorialize at all. It didn't just link to NBC after the purchase - how could it, when it was literally a Breaking News app? NBC didn't break every story domestically, let alone world-wide, so relying on NBC wouldn't have made sense.

I will certainly miss it, as it was a consistent source of world-wide news that I otherwise would not have seen.
    Get used to it. Like many forums, this one has many examples of negative posting for the sake of negative posting, not accuracy or actual edification.

This is the first I've heard of this app, and now it's going away. Sorry to hear that. 
  • Reply 31 of 34
    HTSHTS Posts: 1unconfirmed, member

When such a straight forward news site and app do a better job at reporting news ‘old school’ style without the bias, hyperbole, and editorializing of the parent company’s other outlets (NBC, MSNBC, etc), it threatens to further dilute their ever-dwindling listener/subscriber base. 

FensterZeroStacyD
  • Reply 32 of 34
    HTS said:

When such a straight forward news site and app do a better job at reporting news ‘old school’ style without the bias, hyperbole, and editorializing of the parent company’s other outlets (NBC, MSNBC, etc), it threatens to further dilute their ever-dwindling listener/subscriber base. 

Truth
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Good. It was likely heavily slanted and provided little real value. 
    Do you find Amber Alerts Slanted?  What about The Emergency Alert System? 

BTW, has anyone found an alternative?
    StacyD