Apple CEO Tim Cook tours New York Stock Exchange while on vacation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2016
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook is enjoying the holidays in New York City, as he spent Wednesday morning on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange with his nephew, and even fielded questions about the limited availability of AirPods.

Via Instagram user mikep1012.

Cook's appearance was highlighted live on CNBC's "Squawk Alley," where reporter Brian Sullivan noted that the Apple CEO was on vacation. Cook also signed the NYSE "Hulk Fist" while in attendance, something of a tradition for celebrities spotted on the trading floor.

Reporters chased Cook, seeking comment about Apple's holiday performance. Cook declined to comment, saying he can't talk about that. But when asked about the availability of AirPods, Cook said his company is doing all it can to improve availability.

"AirPods are a runaway success, and we're making them just as fast as we can," he said.

Via Bob Pisani.

Cook said he was inspired to visit the NYSE to show his nephew what traders do for a living.

Apple will report the results of its current holiday quarter in late January. Many on Wall Street expect that it will be the company's best quarter ever, bolstered by the iPhone 7 and the launch of new MacBook Pros.

The California-based Apple CEO was also in New York just a few weeks prior, attending a technology summit hosted by president-elect Donald Trump in Manhattan. Though his own views conflict greatly with Trump, Cook said he felt it was important to attend the meeting to have the ear of the incoming president.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    There will be a big "2nd wave" of AirPod buyers.

I visited an Apple Store to see them -- while waiting for my order to arrive -- and immediately my wife and daughter wanted them too.
    caliwatto_cobralolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The mans on vacation leave him alone.

I visited an Apple Store to see them -- while waiting for my order to arrive -- and immediately my wife and daughter wanted them too.

Airpods are the next big thing. I didn't think we would see it this soon.

oh and "Apple isn't doing anything. Apple isn't innovating. Apple is doomed."
    edited December 2016 Soliandrewj5790anomewatto_cobraration aladonissmulolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Is he walking around giving everyone a big middle finger?
    mike1iphonenickravnorodomwatto_cobrapatchythepiratelolliver
  • Reply 4 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    cali said:
    The mans on vacation leave him alone.

Airpods are the next big thing. I didn't think we would see it this soon.

oh and "Apple isn't doing anything. Apple isn't innovating. Apple is doomed."
    I got mine yesterday, instead of the Jan. 12 date when I ordered on the first day.

You are right, these have to be the next big thing. The elegant case, the tricky magnets, the stay-in design, the good sound — Apple at its best. Years of work are concentrated in those little things.

First the wrist, now the ear, have been colonized and now occupied. This is a very big deal. Siri will improve quicky, watch. 

The eyes are next. 
    Solicaliwatto_cobrapscooter63lolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    flaneur said:
    The eyes are next. 

anomeravnorodomwatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 6 of 19
    How brilliant does Apple now look for removing the headphone jack?  And how monumentally stupid do the critics look?
    slprescottwatto_cobrapatchythepirateadonissmulolliver
  • Reply 7 of 19
    igorsky said:
    How brilliant does Apple now look for removing the headphone jack?  And how monumentally stupid do the critics look?
    That's always been the difference. Even with Apple supporters unsure of or even critical of Apples moves. 

Its foreseight. 

Where everyone else can only figure out solutions within a container of possibilities, Apple considers the container as a possibly flawed limiting factor and reinvents. They do think different and they do insanely great things. Because they dare to defy convention and think through an entire process, pro, con, and revolution, before they ever let the public know about. People reflexively react, not realizing that all contingencies and scenarios have already been processed and that this was still the course of action deemed proper to pursue. 

Not it only are AirPods a great business expansion, but they are also a simply BETTER way to listen. 

And mid that's always been Apples secret sauce. They do t do something just to bleed your wallet. They do something to actually improve your life (while bleeding your wallet simultaneously). 

Its thev he creation of something so valuable that you gladly exchange capital for this product. 

Apple let is a brilliant company and it's great to see that the bright spark of brilliance has not diminished from one leader to the next. Cook is no steve. But the opposite is true as well. Apple is in the best position its ever been.

It could have easily nosedived. But instead it has thrived. Cook must certainly be recognized and appreciated for that. 
    watto_cobrapscooter63macplusplusration alpatchythepirateRayz2016adonissmulolliverStrangeDaysmacxpress
  • Reply 8 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Soli said:
    flaneur said:
    The eyes are next. 

I always wondered about that "take my money" thing.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Hopefully Tim's tour with his nephew scared his nephew off trading so badly he'll tell all his friends and sooner the next generation would be devoid of these scumbags.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Tom cook must be real lonely... or maybe he just wants people in NY to pump his stock.  After all, most his compensation is in stock. 

• Reply 11 of 19
    Tom cook must be real lonely... or maybe he just wants people in NY to pump his stock.  After all, most his compensation is in stock. 

You must be rather lonely yourself to be wasting time posting something like this. After all, his stock portfolio is in-the-money relative to the value at grant date. Not to mention that it'd be worth a heck of a lot even if it weren't. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 19
    igorsky said:
    That's always been the difference. Even with Apple supporters unsure of or even critical of Apples moves. 

Its foreseight. 

Where everyone else can only figure out solutions within a container of possibilities, Apple considers the container as a possibly flawed limiting factor and reinvents. They do think different and they do insanely great things. Because they dare to defy convention and think through an entire process, pro, con, and revolution, before they ever let the public know about. People reflexively react, not realizing that all contingencies and scenarios have already been processed and that this was still the course of action deemed proper to pursue. 

Not it only are AirPods a great business expansion, but they are also a simply BETTER way to listen. 

And mid that's always been Apples secret sauce. They do t do something just to bleed your wallet. They do something to actually improve your life (while bleeding your wallet simultaneously). 

Its thev he creation of something so valuable that you gladly exchange capital for this product. 

Apple let is a brilliant company and it's great to see that the bright spark of brilliance has not diminished from one leader to the next. Cook is no steve. But the opposite is true as well. Apple is in the best position its ever been.

It could have easily nosedived. But instead it has thrived. Cook must certainly be recognized and appreciated for that. 
    Great post.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    igorsky said:

Its foreseight. 

Nominating this for AI Post of the Year. 
    lolliverpatchythepirate
  • Reply 14 of 19
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    "Apple CEO Tim Cook Calls AirPods 'A Runaway Success,' Says 'It's Been a Great Holiday'". http://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/28/tim-cook-airpods-runaway-success ¿A Great Holiday? Maybe for you. Bring brand new UPGRADABLE (no soldered SSD or RAM) Mac Pro and mac mini. Do not forget a brand new Apple Thunderbolt display. The iMac is a waste of display when CPU becomes obsolete (about 7 years, versus more than 20 for displays). Do not waste. Protect planet Earth!
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 15 of 19
    appex said:
    "Apple CEO Tim Cook Calls AirPods 'A Runaway Success,' Says 'It's Been a Great Holiday'". http://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/28/tim-cook-airpods-runaway-success ¿A Great Holiday? Maybe for you. Bring brand new UPGRADABLE (no soldered SSD or RAM) Mac Pro and mac mini. Do not forget a brand new Apple Thunderbolt display. The iMac is a waste of display when CPU becomes obsolete (about 7 years, versus more than 20 for displays). Do not waste. Protect planet Earth!
    Uh no. The fastest onboard storage option will be soldered on and not a stock SSD drive. I want fast. I don't care about upgrading my laptop or even desktop storage after the day I buy it. 7 years use of my imac is fine, I'll want a new one by then, and will give the old one away; currently on a 2011 so almost there. 
  • Reply 16 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    igorsky said:

Its foreseight. 

Wow awesome post! Everything is absolutely spot on! Its a shame others don't see this. Naysayers see today, where Apple see's tomorrow and far beyond. 
    edited December 2016 patchythepirateRayz2016
  • Reply 17 of 19
    igorsky said:
    How do you figure? Because they had a few AirPods per store that sold that makes Apple look brilliant? Also the fact they removed the headphone jack forces people to look for wireless, even though you can buy better wireless headphones than AirPods. AirPods are great, but if you want headphones for music they're not the best sound quality (pretty much equivalent to EarPods which were okay as free earphones, but definitely not ideal for music).
  • Reply 18 of 19
    igorsky said:

Its foreseight. 

Better way to listen unless you want good sound quality for music. 
  • Reply 19 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Tim and I have very different ideas about what makes for a good vacation.
    singularitypatchythepirateRayz2016