First look: LG UltraFine 5K Display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited December 2016
Apple this week started deliveries of LG's hotly anticipated UltraFine 5K Display, a monitor developed to complement Apple's new all-Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro lineup. AppleInsider goes hands-on with the device in this first look video.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

We're also interested in your questions! If you want to know anything about the new MacBook Pro or LG UltraFine lineup, chime in on our forums and we'll address it.
Rayz2016

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Yes, the screen is beautiful but the display design is so un-Apple. It looks just like our Dell monitors at work, blah!
    lamboaudi4pulseimagesRayz2016frankiemallocipscooter63macguiSpamSandwichDaekwanwozwoz
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Yes, the screen is beautiful but the display design is so un-Apple. It looks just like our Dell monitors at work, blah!
    Boo-hoo!
    SiSapscooter63Daekwan
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Good review. 
    SiSapulseimageswozwoz
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Very nice video. Once the lid is closed you can turn the mac off thru the menu, but is it possible to turn it on? I guess only thru a external keyboard in hibernation?
    pulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Hey Max, unfortunately I do not agree on certain aspects, and suggest a second thought about: - ugly plastic frame/design that does not fit to any premium Apple product - and the thicker upper frame looks particularly ugly and distracting to me - only three USB ports: as you are a professional videographer you perfectly know these ports are not enough - even the legacy Thunderbolt Display featured more ports (3x USB, 1x ETHERNET, 1x Firewire) - no Audio output??? => how to connect my desktop speakers? A second cable to be attached to the Macbook Pro? - While all Mac products and displays feature feature premium glass panels with great anti-glare coatings, this one is a glossy plastic display. It looks particularly prone to glare, even in your first look video - when you touch/adjust it for horizontal alignment in your video, it looks quite flimsy/shaky, and not too solid The option to change brightness etc. via the direct Mac input makes this display a better alternative to Dell & Co, but it's far from being an appropriate product I would want to put in my home office, or even at work.
    Rayz2016pulseimagesbloggerblogai46pscooter63Daekwanwozwoz
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Nice review and thank you.
    Concerned about 'legacy' USB ports on back- 5 MBPS speed so not true USB 3.1 as we know it now.
    Do we have a 2013 Macpro?: Monitor will only run 4K in Thunderbolt 2 config I believe.  That's a slight to technology.
    Glossy glossy glossy- need to ratchet that down some IMHO.
    Other than that, looks good but price point makes me look elsewhere esp. if I want a 32" or larger.
    Again, thank you for a nice review.
    ~
    Rayz2016ai46pscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 22
    AppleIsDyingAppleIsDying Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Basically a Dell monitor with all of nice on device controls and extremely handy legacy connectivity options ripped out. My widescreen 32" LG thunderbolt monitor has one cable and no-dongle-required legacy Ethernet, USB 2/3, DisplayPort, HDMI, can split screen literally any two computers on earth, makes me eggs in the morning and cost me $400 less a year ago. This is basically Apple saying "buy one of our underwhelming 2016 MacBooks and shut up"
    Rayz2016SiSatechprod1gypulseimagesai46pscooter63Daekwan
  • Reply 8 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Your "Dell monitors at work" do not have this pixel density, color accuracy, or most of the other advanced display qualities of these new LG displays which makes them very different when you look at the screen.

2) Would AppleIsDying have parroted your comment if you hadn't started the ball rolling?
    edited December 2016 pulseimagespscooter63watto_cobraRayz2016Daekwan
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Basically a Dell monitor with all of nice on device controls and extremely handy legacy connectivity options ripped out. My widescreen 32" LG thunderbolt monitor has one cable and no-dongle-required legacy Ethernet, USB 2/3, DisplayPort, HDMI, can split screen literally any two computers on earth, makes me eggs in the morning and cost me $400 less a year ago. This is basically Apple saying "buy one of our underwhelming 2016 MacBooks and shut up"
    And just what is the display resolution for your LG Monitor? Is it 5K? Come on now please tell us. If it is then give us the part number so we can all go out and buy one tomorrow.
    Please explain Mr Troll how it can make you eggs in the morning? I like mine 'easy over'.

The 5K monitor here is IMHO a niche product. I use a Dell 4K Monitor on my MBP and once I setup the profiles it is fantasting for Photoshop.
    5K would be nice though because my new D500 can shoot 4K Movies.

pulseimageswatto_cobraDaekwan
  • Reply 10 of 22
    bloggerblog said:

AppleIsDying said:

Could you guys post pics of your monitors?

And SiSa as you stated, 
    You said:
    Hey Max, unfortunately I do not agree on certain aspects, and suggest a second thought about: - ugly plastic frame/design that does not fit to any premium Apple product - and the thicker upper frame looks particularly ugly and distracting to me…

For the life of me, I have been in the graphic/multimedia business for years and I still can't define beauty or ugly by simply looking at a picture, especially over the internet.
    edited December 2016 ai46Daekwan
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Soli said:
    1) Your "Dell monitors at work" do not have this pixel density, color accuracy, or most of the other advanced display qualities of these new LG displays which makes them very different when you look at the screen.

2) Would AppleIsDying have parroted your comment if you hadn't started the ball rolling?
    Regarding #1, they were referring to the display housing--which, I personally agree is very un-Apple--not the display itself. There is still quite a bit of bitterness/apprehension out there over the news that Apple jettisoned its display unit. When the next-gen imac comes out (assuming it does) do you want a bunch of plastic sitting next to it or a nice aluminum encased apple-designed monitor sitting next to it?

WRT #2, it's unfair to think that because bloggerblog expressed their frustrations that they're personally responsible for the ramblings of a troll.
    bloggerblog
  • Reply 12 of 22
    malloci said:
    Soli said:

Regarding #1, they were referring to the display housing--which, I personally agree is very un-Apple--not the display itself. There is still quite a bit of bitterness/apprehension out there over the news that Apple jettisoned its display unit. When the next-gen imac comes out (assuming it does) do you want a bunch of plastic sitting next to it or a nice aluminum encased apple-designed monitor sitting next to it?

WRT #2, it's unfair to think that because bloggerblog expressed their frustrations that they're personally responsible for the ramblings of a troll.
    1) Oh, I know what he meant, hence my comment since you don't buy a computer display for the housing, unless it's functionally cheap thereby reducing its utility.

2) It's not unfair to question whether pointless bitching about a null to minimal consideration about a product one is not required to buy can lead to others jumping onboard with cynical commentary. Note that I asked a question, where as you have stated that AppleIsDying is troll instead of just questioning whether he's a troll. Are you gauging his trollishness based on his name, it being a first, and/or his comment? If the comment is involved, why wouldn't this apply to anyone else with a similar outlook?
    pscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 22
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I feel the same way. The 5K and color gamut are great, but I just don't like looking at a monitor that looks like every other monitor on the market. My old Apple LED display is still working well, but obviously its panel is inferior to this LG. 

I can understand LG wanting to make a monitor that's inline with LG products, but they don't seem concerned that they look like everybody else's monitors, externally unchanged since the late 90's.

The fact that On/Off and Brightness are controlled from the MacBook is a big plus. One of my Macs is connected to a big Dell and I have to adjust the brightness daily depending on the time of day. I don't have the control over ambient light that I'd like. Dell's button controls for the OSD are a pain to deal with. The answer for me may just be to get a 5K iMac.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    bloggerblog said:

AppleIsDying said:

Could you guys post pics of your monitors?

And SiSa as you stated, 
    You said:
    Hey Max, unfortunately I do not agree on certain aspects, and suggest a second thought about: - ugly plastic frame/design that does not fit to any premium Apple product - and the thicker upper frame looks particularly ugly and distracting to me…

For the life of me, I have been in the graphic/multimedia business for years and I still can't define beauty or ugly by simply looking at a picture, especially over the internet.
    "For the life of me, I have been in the graphic/multimedia business for years and I still can't define beauty or ugly by simply looking at a picture, especially over the internet."

Are you kidding me? You don't need to "define beauty or ugly" to compare the aesthetics of LG's chunky black base and plastic bezel (awkwardly upside-down-looking because of the thicker top) with Apple's elegant aluminum and glass designs? Do you need to see each in person to consider how each monitor would look next to an aluminum Apple laptop (hint: one will uses the same high quality materials and refined industrial design language and the other does not). I rue the day my Apple Thunderbolt display (in all its non-retina glory) needs to be replaced. Porche vs Pinto.
    Soliwozwoz
  • Reply 15 of 22
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    For non apple displays I have found Quickshade simple & effective:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quickshade/id931571202?mt=12

Unfortunately it does not lower power consumption as it uses a filter vs backlight adjustment... 
  • Reply 16 of 22
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The picture quality, and ease of use, seems great! Good stuff!
    The build quality, judging by the video, looks functional, but not elegantly solid, like if Apple would have made it. Good stuff though.
    dws-2
  • Reply 17 of 22

I have a few WD external hard drives sitting on my computer table. I don't have a problem with them being glossy plastic instead of milled aluminium, but that's just me.

I guess some people are pissed with the housing. But the moment you turn the monitor on, you see macOS in gorgeous 5K and no one is looking at the housing anymore.

dws-2
  • Reply 18 of 22
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member

no one is looking at the housing anymore.

I find I appreciate the quality, consistency & edge to edge blackout glass bezels of my cinema, thunderbolt & iMac screens every day...

Plastic is certainly easier to mount & lighter to move around, and there may be some environmental embodied energy benefits, and even the 5K design form seems better than most (pivot lack notwithstanding) plastic options, yet is Apple industrial design consistency + policy changing, and has this always been considered a hallmark of Apple's user experience...?

Will we next get matching plastic iMacs + black bezels this year ? Does anyone else remember the positive reviews of the redesigned all aluminum 2009 iMacs ?
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/imac-aluminum-faq/differences-between-imac-aluminum-late-2009-early-2009-models.html

There is a classic interview with Steve Jobs where as I recall he suggests 'the problem with microsoft is they just have no class'...

With the imminent Surface Studio, and Windows 10 GUI, is this too starting to change ?
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 19 of 22
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    What an ugly monitor. One would think Apple would be capable of um making their own ...
  • Reply 20 of 22
    wozwoz said:
    What an ugly monitor. One would think Apple would be capable of um making their own …
    They are capable. I'm sure you're capable of making a bust of Trump of out baby carrots, but that doesn't mean you're interested in doing so.