Review: Bragi's Headphone offers a solid alternative to Apple AirPods

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Sometimes it is best not to autist word plays to death, Dett.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Can anyone please comment on how the Headphone audio quality compares to that of the AirPods?
  • Reply 23 of 42
    SEonlineSEonline Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    So I got mine on the first day they ship. Fit my ears perfect like regular EarPods. I can shake my head like crazy and they never fall out but what I love:
    - crazy easy pairing
    - easy switching across phone, watch, iPad and Mac
    - mics in both, switching off gets crazy multi day battery life
    - case keeps them from getting lost
    - sharing headphones without cable
    - sharing headphone on call with others and both of us can talk
    - distance I can be away from devices 

Hands down best in convenience and usability. If doesn't fit ears check all the accessories on amazon to help with that. 

Cons: not more tap gestures for control
  • Reply 24 of 42
    I like these earbuds, but they're not an alternative to AirPods.

These "truly" wireless headphones (and even many of the last generation ear-to-ear wireless headphones) each have battery lives were a secondary charging case becomes an essential convenience. (An oxymoron I know.)

There is no point in truly wireless headphones if one needs to run them back to a computer or wall outlet every few hours - that's why the AirPods are so good, you can charge them as convenient to you.

If anything the $10 price difference between the AirPods and the Bragi Dash highlight just how overpriced many truly wireless earphones are. The Dash looks like a compromised product in every way (including construction) - while the AirPods at just $10 more are a luxurious and complete design, and that's before considering their excellent water resistance, wireless range or pairing simplicity.

• Reply 25 of 42
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    Soli said:
    xmhillx said:
    Soli said:
    xmhillx said:
    Airpods have the exact ear shape as EarPods. I have no idea how you'd "be disappointed and surprised that Airpods don't stay in your ears." Geezus Christ, the EarPods shape has been out for years. If you've ever bought an iPhone in the last 4 years, you've had the free EarPods with the same design as Airpods. Yet you didn't know that the design doesn't fit your ears? Ok, sorry, that's ridiculous. If EarPods fit you, then Airpods fit you. If EarPods don't fit you, Airpods don't fit you. It's not rocket science guys. 
    1) Reviews have by and large stated that EarPods don't stay in your ears but AirPods do.

2) My personal experience with both is that EarPods fall out but there was no normal activity I could imagine that would've caused the AirPods to fall out, which helps the hypothesis that the cable pulls and twisting on the EarPods was the major culprit for EarPods falling out.

3) Are they "the exact ear shape as EarPods"? They're certainly very similar, but they don't look exactly the same to me, which is something else reviewers have stated.
    You're mixing two things up.
    1) EarPods fit my ears perfect. If I try to make them fall out by shaking my head vigorously, they fall out (due to the wires, their weight and momentum).
    2) EarPods don't fit my ears. They fall out when I tilt my head sideways, or smile, or they simply don't fit my ears. No need to shake my head around to make them fall out. There literally are people who's ears pop EarPods and Airpods out as soon as they let go after putting them in their ears: or when smiling, or slightly titling their head. 

Falling out of your ears due to wires and fitting your ears are two different things. For those who's ears are perfect for EarPods and Airpods, the Airpods don't fall out even when vigorously shaking your head, as many reviewers have demonstrated and you mentioned. No wires means no weight and momentum from kinetic energy tugging them away. 

I'm critizing the people who seemingly are disappointed the Airpods didn't fit them and fall out easily, which indicates their ears aren't meant for either Airpods or EarPods. If EarPods never fit you naturally, neither will Airpods. They are the same exact contour (the sensors, grill, and stem are different, I'm obviously not talking about the thicker stem or new and wider sensors and larger mic grills...). 
    1) I didn't mix anything up and can't fathom how you mixed up my comments which were clearly numbered.

2) How would a person know if AirPods will or won't fall out of their ears when there's a huge range of "EarPods are comfortable but they fall out of my ears " -to- "EarPods  are uncomfortable and fall out of my ears" comments. Did anyone in this thread say that EarPods never remotely fit, stayed in, or would pop out if they smiled? And even if they did, that doesn't mean that AirPods would be the same if the design is altered to be slightly thicker in one area, thinner in another, and/or have a slightly different contour. You may not even be able to see this difference with the naked eye, which goes along with reviews saying they are very similar but a slightly different shape than EarPods. Would you be able to see a 3% arch change on one of the single plane? I'm pretty sure I would. It's easy to assume a poster with 2 comments is just trolling or purposely spreading bad news about this fantastic new product, but I doubt that Robertwalter is based on his comment and comment count.
    You're still mixed up. You don't get where you're messing up.

I'm emphasizing general fit.
    You're rebutting with "EarPods still fall out during activity because of wires".

I agree. EarPods fit my ears perfectly and don't fall out in general use. Yet they will fall out during heavy activity (e.g. Shaking my head wildly, jumping jacks, crossfit training, etc) because of wires. EarPods aren't immune to falling out of the ideal ear shape for them. That's not my point.

If EarPods fit you perfectly, so will Airpods. And Airpods won't fall out with heavy activity.

If EarPods fit you half-decently, Airpods will fit you the same... but may not fall out as easily (key word as easily) because of the lack of wires, since wires helped pulled EarPods out of your ears... ears that didn't hold the EarPods well in the first place. "May not fall out as easily" is not synonymous with "they fit you perfectly", and it will not deliver he same user experience.

If EarPods fit you horribly, and don't stay in your ears even staying still (and yes many people have showed, not on apple insider, that they simply don't fit for them, even sometimes smiling will be enough to lodge them out, or tilting your head to the side), then Airpods aren't going to magically fit you significantly better. Even with a 1% change in contour, or whatever you were trying to say with that example. The reason zero tech reviewers are saying the shape is noticeably different... is because it's not noticeably different in any appreciable way. There is no 3% or 1% contour change that anyone is pointing out. If there were a magically better fit with Airpods for those who couldn't use EarPods, it'd be all the rage. It isn't. 

So in simple terms:
    If EarPods fit you. Airpods fit you.
    If EarPods kinda fit you, Airpods kinda fit you. 
    If EarPods don't fit you, Airpods don't fit you.

If you're in the last two categories, it shouldn't be surprising when your experience with Airpods isn't perfect. Like the one guy who commented that he loves them, but they fall out constantly like in the train and 10 min walks. And he wants a third party accessory wire to tether the two Airpods together.... defeating the purpose of wireless earphones and unintentionally further increasing the tendency of Airpods falling out due to the wires tugging at them. 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 26 of 42
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    I stapled mine in.  Once the blood clotted, they stayed!  Gonna leave them.  Would need an earodontist to remove.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    1 week with AirPods awesome awesome awesome only shortcomings for me, no advance songs, no volume control
  • Reply 28 of 42
    PinoyPinoy Posts: 1member
    I own the Bragi Dash, the older sibling of the Headphone, and the AirPods. The only advantage of the Dash is that the gesture control is far more diverse compared to the play/pause or Siri activation of the AirPods. However, the Dash, don't know with the Headphone, but I think it only needs to be paired once, needs to be paired TWICE -- once for the  audio and another time for the activity tracking. On the Dash, audio skips a lot, the range is dismal compared to the AirPods, and the BT does not hold (with the iPhone on my Flipbelt on my waist, turn your head to the right and you lose BT connection and audio!)
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:

ireland said:
    Soli said:
    2) I'd love to get in-earphones that have the same technology, weight, and volume of AirPods -or- see an earthodontist so he can slowly mold my ear cartilage to fit AirPods perfectly.
    Global warming doctor to check how sick the earth is? You may mean a Otolaryngologist (oh-toe-lair-in-goll...)
    I suspect auto correction may have got Soli, he's way to smart for that error.  lol
    I used italics and a description to convey my efforts. An orthodontist deals with the treatment of irregularities with the teeth, like braces. My comment was a farcical notion and play on the dental term to have your ear cartilage slowly reshaped to fit AirPods perfectly. Someone who studies diseases of the ear and throat is not what I meant. Perhaps I should've used a hyphen: ear-thodontist.
    I got it. I thought it was clever! I'll leave it to you to decide if you are pleased that the joke worked, or concerned that it made sense to a mind as distorted and dysenmalfunctional as mine.
    Soli
  • Reply 30 of 42

Soli said:

It's too bad that we're in the 1% of those who can't use AirPods.

I wasn't going to bother trying the AirPods because the EarPods don't fit me well. I guess I'm in the "1%" too.

Do you guys agree with @xmhillx that if the EarPods aren't a good fit, the AirPods won't be either, or do you think they're different enough that it's worth buying them to try out? Does anyone know for sure whether or not they can be returned if they don't work out? I've been getting conflicting information.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    As long as we're discussing wireless cans, does anyone mind if I take a little tangent?

I like the idea of the W1 chip, but since it doesn't seem like AirPods are likely to work well for me I've been thinking about the Beats full-size headphones. I generally prefer cans that sit over my ears rather than on them, which suggests the Studio might be the ideal choice, but it looks like they don't yet include the W1 chip. Is that right?

That leaves the Solo3. Is there anyone reading this who, like me, generally prefers around-the-ear headphones but has used the Solo and can comment on comfort? Do your ears feel crushed after a while?
  • Reply 32 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Soli said:

It's too bad that we're in the 1% of those who can't use AirPods.

I wasn't going to bother trying the AirPods because the EarPods don't fit me well. I guess I'm in the "1%" too.

Do you guys agree with @xmhillx that if the EarPods aren't a good fit, the AirPods won't be either, or do you think they're different enough that it's worth buying them to try out? Does anyone know for sure whether or not they can be returned if they don't work out? I've been getting conflicting information.
    According to many reviewers, if EarPods are uncomfortable, then AIrPods may be comfortable. Also, EarPods seem to fall out of everyone's ears at some point. This means that there is no generalization of EarPods that carries over to AirPods, unless we assume those reviewers are lying.
    lorin schultz
  • Reply 33 of 42
    That leaves the Solo3. Is there anyone reading this who, like me, generally prefers around-the-ear headphones but has used the Solo and can comment on comfort? Do your ears feel crushed after a while?
    In the world of wearables, everyone is a little different so you're likely going to have to try them before you can make a decision. An in-store trial may not be able to tell if these will work for you, but it's how I'd start if you're near a store.
    lorin schultz
  • Reply 34 of 42
    I don't know where @Soli is getting his info from. Maybe he can share. Because all the reviews I've seen say Earpods = AirPods when it comes to fit. They do generalize, yet @Soli keeps insisting there is no generalization.
    Here are a variety of YouTube reviews from ppl who can fit Airpods to those who cannot. 

MKBHD

Minute 3:44

"They're the exact same shape as the EarPods so if those worked well for your ears then these will stay in your ears as well."

Engadget

Minute 2:11

"I'm pretty frustrated Apple didn't try to cook up a new design for these things. I know a ton of ppl for whom EarPods just never fit, and even more ppl who can get them in but only have them fall out because of their ear shapes"

CNET

Minute 0:47

"One of the good things is the fit. If you wear the EarPods that come from your iPhone from before, these are going to fit pretty much just the same"

Tailosive Tech

The entire video talks about EarPods/AirPods falling or not falling out

The Verge

Minute 0:10

"And it's basically as if Apple just took the old EarPods and chopped the wires off... I had a lot of trouble keeping Airpods in my ears, and it's not just that they fall out immediately, they never stay in my ears (demonstrates on camera how easily his ears dislodge Airpods by slightly leaning sideways)"

iJustine

Minute 20:15

"Every time I smile, this one falls out"

Minute 3:00

"So these are the EarPods that come with the iPhone 7.... they don't fit my ears very well"

lorin schultz
  • Reply 35 of 42
    xmhillx said:
    Soli said:
    xmhillx said:
    Airpods have the exact ear shape as EarPods. I have no idea how you'd "be disappointed and surprised that Airpods don't stay in your ears." Geezus Christ, the EarPods shape has been out for years. If you've ever bought an iPhone in the last 4 years, you've had the free EarPods with the same design as Airpods. Yet you didn't know that the design doesn't fit your ears? Ok, sorry, that's ridiculous. If EarPods fit you, then Airpods fit you. If EarPods don't fit you, Airpods don't fit you. It's not rocket science guys. 
    1) Reviews have by and large stated that EarPods don't stay in your ears but AirPods do.

2) My personal experience with both is that EarPods fall out but there was no normal activity I could imagine that would've caused the AirPods to fall out, which helps the hypothesis that the cable pulls and twisting on the EarPods was the major culprit for EarPods falling out.

3) Are they "the exact ear shape as EarPods"? They're certainly very similar, but they don't look exactly the same to me, which is something else reviewers have stated.
    You're mixing two things up.
    1) EarPods fit my ears perfect. If I try to make them fall out by shaking my head vigorously, they fall out (due to the wires, their weight and momentum).
    2) EarPods don't fit my ears. They fall out when I tilt my head sideways, or smile, or they simply don't fit my ears. No need to shake my head around to make them fall out. There literally are people who's ears pop EarPods and Airpods out as soon as they let go after putting them in their ears: or when smiling, or slightly titling their head. 

Falling out of your ears due to wires and fitting your ears are two different things. For those who's ears are perfect for EarPods and Airpods, the Airpods don't fall out even when vigorously shaking your head, as many reviewers have demonstrated and you mentioned. No wires means no weight and momentum from kinetic energy tugging them away. 

I'm critizing the people who seemingly are disappointed the Airpods didn't fit them and fall out easily, which indicates their ears aren't meant for either Airpods or EarPods. If EarPods never fit you naturally, neither will Airpods. They are the same exact contour (the sensors, grill, and stem are different, I'm obviously not talking about the thicker stem or new and wider sensors and larger mic grills...). 
    Said like a person with no knowledge of human factor design or ergonomics.  Your premise is unfounded and uninformed. 

In every design, there is a band above which things fit and below it they don't.

Many found the earbuds useless and Apple tried to counter this perception with management statements and through well known tech channels. Tim explained several times that the weight of the cord tugging down was too much for the lid design to retain well for some folks. He said thathehadhadno problems with retention. So did folks with early test units and many folks with early production shipment. 

So to my mind, based on this feedback and a strong desire to have them, the band had shifted or compressed in the direction of improved retention. 

The reality is that the retention band didn't move into the region I occupy. 
  • Reply 36 of 42
    xmhillx said:
    I don't know where @Soli is getting his info from. Maybe he can share. Because all the reviews I've seen say Earpods = AirPods when it comes to fit. They do generalize, yet @Soli keeps insisting there is no generalization.

Here are a variety of YouTube reviews from ppl who can fit Airpods to those who cannot. 
    1) I said you're generalizing. Defending your indefiensible position with review terms like basically and pretty much are exactly the kind of generalized terms I told you to avoid.

2) I'm going to paste text from reviews, not videos. Here are two examples that destroy your generalizing claim that empirical testing of AirPods aren't ever necessary if EarPods aren't a perfect fit.

"There are slight differences in the shapes, which you can see when you put them side by side — EarPods are a bit more round and AirPods are slightly more contoured, which makes them a bit more comfortable — and Apple says this means AirPods should fit more ears than EarPods."
    "They’re the same general shape as the EarPods and made from the same hard white plastic. 

"Now, that plastic has been a deal-breaker for me for years—I hate how normal EarPods feel in my ears. They don’t seem like they’re going to stay put, and they simply fall out if I move my head too much. Even if they do stay in, after about a half hour, my ears just start to ache, although I don’t experience the same pain when using earbuds with silicone or foam tips. Since the AirPods look so similar, I expected them to feel the same too—and I’m surprised and happy to report that I was dead wrong.

"Not only did I dance, I headbanged. I shook my head side to side, I tossed my hair, I jogged in place, and I looked silly doing all of it. The AirPods stayed put, and they stayed loud."

3) I don't care how you feel about Apple and their products, but it's sad that you are so adamant against the scientific method. Whether you're active or passive in your understanding of what you post, I wish you didn't pander to generalizations, false equivalencies, and shady terminology.

edited January 2017
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Soli said:
    In the world of wearables, everyone is a little different so you're likely going to have to try them before you can make a decision. An in-store trial may not be able to tell if these will work for you, but it's how I'd start if you're near a store.
    I tried them on months ago just out of curiosity, with no interest in actually buying them at the time. They seemed okay, but like you say, it's hard to guess what they'll feel like after wearing them for an hour or more.

In the '90s I spent a lot of time wearing AKG K240DF headphones in my little home production space. I can't count the number of times I yanked them off my head by getting up and walking away, completely forgetting I was wearing headphones. I'd love to find something that comfortable, but I'd also like them to be more compact so they fit easily in my go bag, less visually imposing so I don't look like a dork (okay, so I don't look even dorkier than I already do), and whatever I choose has to have a W1 chip. I guess that means my choices are to get the Solo3 or wait to see if something else comes along someday.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Soli said:
    xmhillx said:

1) I said you're generalizing. Defending your indefiensible position with review terms like basically and pretty much are exactly the kind of generalized terms I told you to avoid.

2) I'm going to paste text from reviews, not videos. Here are two examples that destroy your generalizing claim that empirical testing of AirPods aren't ever necessary if EarPods aren't a perfect fit.

3) I don't care how you feel about Apple and their products, but it's sad that you are so adamant against the scientific method. Whether you're active or passive in your understanding of what you post, I wish you didn't pander to generalizations, false equivalencies, and shady terminology.

Ok, I see. There are a couple reviews that support what you said, that AirPods fit better than EarPods for that person. Kudos. I concede to that point.

You could've told me "hey well there's a lot of reviews out there that generalize regarding the fit, most reviews actually. But there's a couple that talk about the nuances to the contrary. Maybe you didn't come across those. Here take a look."

You didn't say that. You acted as if there were zero people generalizing and everyone was mentioning a slightly better fit. It wasn't until I posted some sources that you posted yours. 

My statement was indefensible? Uhm, I posted sources defending it. They've said, and I paraphrase, "AirPods kinda fall out and don't stay in, but EarPods never really fit well either." I just provided a half dozen videos saying what I said. "If EarPods fit you, AirPods fit you. If not, then AirPods don't fit you."

I based my statements on the 15+ reviews I've seen on AirPods. If me, and MKBHD, ENGADGET, and CNET, are all pandering to generalizations, false equivalences, and shady terminology for saying the shape is the same, so much so, that if EarPods fit you then AirPods fit you. Alright then? Apparently there's "zero basis" for that claim even though I provided multiple sources to base that claim.

1) You did not say "I" was generalizing. Read your previous comment; you're referring to reviewers. Your entire paragraph is about reviewers, not me:

"According to many reviewers, if EarPods are uncomfortable, then AIrPods may be comfortable. Also, EarPods seem to fall out of everyone's ears at some point. This means that there is no generalization of EarPods that carries over to AirPods, unless we assume those reviewers are lying."

2) I said it's ridiculous to be surprised that AirPods don't fit, when EarPods have been around long enough to know if they fit or not. If one reviewer, in Macworld, found AirPods a better fit than EarPods in general, yet dozens of others say "AirPods don't fit, but then again EarPods don't fit. Wish apple had changed the design", then that supports my statement more than it doesn't support it. The vast majority of people have the same fit with EarPods and Airpods, and the vast minority report an improvement. A 95% chance that AirPods will fit you as good/bad as EarPods means you shouldn't be surprised when they don't. 

Is that worth testing out for yourself? Sure. But don't be surprised if you're not the 1 out 20 people that AirPods fit better after knowing EarPods don't fit you: that's my original post. Don't be surprised if they don't fit. 

You're acting as if it's the opposite, that 95% of AirPod reviewers are all the rage praising Apple about how many more people the new shape accommodates. And it's indefensible to claim otherwise.

• Reply 39 of 42
    Received my AirPods yesterday. 

Pros: easy peasy set up. Excellent sound and mic. Tap for Siri is cool. Fast charging is great. Case lid and the nesting of pods in case is cool. 

Cons: they are constantly falling out of my ears. Fell out twice before I was in train while walking. Fell out twice during a 10 minute train ride. Fell out after train ride. Fall out when reclining in arm chair. Unless I put chewing gum in my ears, or rubber bands around ears, they are hopeless (at least for me.)

Result: can't really use them outside the house for fear of them falling on the tracks, down a drain, in a crack or underfoot. 

Please Apple, put a Mike in the beats in air products because there are folks out there whose ears can't retain these little beauties!
    I have these, and they are a big help to keeping AirPods in ears:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291927235265?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=590917899839&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
  • Reply 40 of 42
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Soli said:
    1) I think these were slated to have an MSRP of $299 up until the AirPods were announced.

2) I'd love to get in-earphones that have the same technology, weight, and volume of AirPods -or- see an earthodontist so he can slowly mold my ear cartilage to fit AirPods perfectly.
    You'd think Apple would include a clip wrap around the ear or a sleeve that wedges them cleanly in the ear so they don't fly out. Without those loop curl over the ear long runs or any physical activity of decent tempo means no AirPods or competitors being worn. You spend that price and still have to go third party add-on seems a slap in the face.