Comparison: Which Apple MacBook is right for you?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    As always, I appreciate the excellent videos that AppleInsider puts out.  But I must say that I am very pleased with the 2015 15" MBP (fully loaded with 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM and dGPU) I purchased in mid-Dec. 2016 from QualityMacs in San Diego.  I had a 2016 MBP 15" (fully loaded) on order with Adorama for over a month, starting in Nov. 2016, but I cancelled the order the second week of December when they refused to offer me even general guidance on when my machine could be delivered.  But what made me feel more at ease about the cancellation and the subsequent ordering of the 2015 model was the fact that the older model is really the best MBP you can get TODAY.  The 2016 model is very much TOMORROW's Mac.  

A lot of people say that the 2016 model will have everything we need when USB-C takes over. But that is laughable because even 1.5 years hence, USB-C will not be ubiquitous.  I would not expect USB-C to become truly mainstream (seen everywhere) until about 5 years from now.  And how many MBP variants will Apple release during that time?  Probably two.  Therefore, it seems awfully foolish for Apple to have killed the SD card and not put even a single USB-A port on this 2016 model.  Had they made it a "bridge" machine (bridging our USB-A needs today with the USB-C needs of tomorrow), it would have been even more popular than Apple says the 2016 model is now.  Not that I really care at this point though since I have my 2015 MBP.

I love the tactical feedback on the 2015 model's keyboard, and I really don't care if the keys wobble a teensy bit and are "less accurate."  I don't care that the reds and greens on my display don't blind my eyes (my 5K iMac has that -- it's neat, but not a must-have feature).  I love having the USB-A ports, the HDMI port, MagSafe, and a realistically sized trackpad that doesn't need palm rejection to work flawlessly every time.  The speakers sound more than good enough to my ears.  And the fans don't come on that much, especially if I keep the dGPU turned off.  I'm not a professional photographer, but my u4/3 camera uses an SD card, and I love the slot in this 2015 MBP as a result, plus I can use SD cards for supplemental storage too.  The only advantage the 2016 model has over my 2015 model, in my eyes, is (1) Space Gray and (2) slightly smaller and lighter body and (3) Touch ID.  But considering all the things I consider negative on the 2016 model, those 3 positives don't really mean much.  The most important of the 3 would be Touch ID.  I'd love to unlock the Mac and access password protected sites with just my fingerprint.  But to give up every other good thing just for that?  No way.

If you're still on the fence about what to buy, I can only recommend a 2015 model MBP.  I searched EBAY and ADORAMA and B&H for new and lightly used machines and I ended up with QualityMacs.  Amazingly good support.  These guys even replied to me on a holiday, more than once.  They also sell Macs slightly used with valid AppleCare.
    edited January 2017 freethinkingpulseimagesavon b7
  • Reply 22 of 91
    stimpystimpy Posts: 18member
    After waiting for the new models, I felt the best bet was backwards to a high end 2015 15in. First you can still get a bigger SSD if I run out on the 500 (thanks OWC). Second if I have an out of warranty repair I wont have to have the top case, touch bar, battery, trackpad, logic board with ssd, and ram all replaced for bad ram. I wont have to have the logic board, ram, ssd, touch bar, battery, all replaced for broken keyboard membrane or depleted battery. I wont have to have the logic board, ram, top case, touch bar, all replaced for bad storage. So much salvage of working parts for simple repairs bothers me. I dont care about 10mm, 12mm, 17mm etc. I only use it from the top. And for the $1300 I paid for a old stock 2015 with 16/500/AMD I feel I get more value for spending exactly half the base price model cost. And its already built and in the channel so I feel better about one less piece of hardware out there because of me.
    dysamoriaavon b7
  • Reply 23 of 91
    None of them anymore.
    williamlondondysamoriafreethinkingfrankeed
  • Reply 24 of 91
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Which current MacBook is right for me? Let's see, I'm going to medical school soon so I'll need a really long lasting battery for taking notes and studying all day... it would be nice to play a game or two at night to unwind, so it'll have to have a decent GPU... I don't mind a little extra weight as I'm a capable of lifting an additional pound or two... 

So, which MacBook is right for me?

NONE OF THEM!!!!
    Actually I'd suggest the lowest end MacBook Pro for you. First you need to save some cash given the cost of attending said school and you need to realize the world has moved on from a dedicated GPU being necessary in all cases. Intel has been working and improving their integrated solutions for quite a while. If you are a graphic or video pro they might not be enough for you. However you said specifically that you want to just unwind with a game or two.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ7bXZAJpeOU9eTgo5ET8hA/search?query=540+iris

This channel shows the low end Macbook Pro running all manner of games and it does quite well with them. Will it run all of them at 1080P resolution? No. Will it likely allow you to play the latest and most difficult GPU driven Triple AAA titles at 60 GPS and high resolution? No. In fact per those videos I wouldn't see much Witcher 3 or Watch Dogs 2 in your future. However a surprisingly large number of titles run just fine. 
    chia
  • Reply 25 of 91
    I love my new 15" MBP. But the charger is huge and weighs twice as much as the MBA and the battery at 4 hours is at 35% These are the facts, just the facts, thank you
  • Reply 26 of 91
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    I'm buying all the 2012 i7's, yes there is a run on them. Prices are up from 350 now to 1300, on these! Why? because they are tanks, powerful, able to run dual HD's, easily upgradable, serviceable, has magsafe, and all the i/o needed. Pretty much everything opposite of the MBP 2016. Look at Macsales.com that should pretty much tell you whats up. Hey Timmy and Philly boy, keep up the good work, idiots.
    Rayz2016williamlondonfrankeed
  • Reply 27 of 91
    No question, 'which is the best MacBook for me'.
    It's the "MacBook" ; exactly 5 seconds after they put the second USB-C jack on the other side of it.
    That's how long it will take for me to slap my credit card down on the counter, once that has been done.

The MacBook truly is the most beautiful implementation of minimalist design I have ever seen out of Apple. I just drool every time I see one of those things.
    edited January 2017 baconstangRayz2016Farnabytokyojimu
  • Reply 28 of 91
    Which current MacBook is right for me? Let's see, I'm going to medical school soon so I'll need a really long lasting battery for taking notes and studying all day... it would be nice to play a game or two at night to unwind, so it'll have to have a decent GPU... I don't mind a little extra weight as I'm a capable of lifting an additional pound or two... 

NONE OF THEM!!!!
    The question of trolling aside, what on earth are you going on about? If you want a student notebook the Air or MB are clear choices. If you want something to play some games on occasionally get a MBP, which aside from the questionable Consumer Reports claim, scored favorably by reviewers for battery. But if you're at home playing games I don't know why you wouldn't plug it in...it's not like you can use it for 8 hours during the day and then expect to game all night on it. 
    I was attempting to impress that Apple does not make either a powerful computer or a computer (well... mainly the new MacBook Pro) with a great battery life in one machine. I got a PS4 for gaming and will just use my old equipment for school. Oh well, 1st world problems :)
    williamlondonMplsP
  • Reply 29 of 91

Just yesterday I played with the new MBP again at the showroom. I really love how intuitive the touchbar is. I cannot wait to buy the new machine.

Owing to some ridiculous reasons, authorised resellers here cannot sell BTO options so I will need to get the high-end 15" imported sometime.

While I have no compunctions about picking one up, I can understand the frustration some people are feeling owing to how their workflows are disrupted. I just hope everything smoothens out soon for genuine Mac users.

Soli
  • Reply 30 of 91
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Which one is right for me? None of the current models.

Give me input options, more battery and a larger screen. Even better would be to make user upgradable SSDs, RAM, etc. Apple could reinvent the computers to be completely interchangeable / upgradable. Similar to the idea for the RED video camera. Now that would be cool.
    pscooter63dysamoriaavon b7
  • Reply 31 of 91

NONE OF THEM!!!!
    My daughter got thru med school w/ my original white intel MacBook...She's now Chief Resident at University of Arizona Medical Center....Dude just get the Air or the MacBook, but get an Apple. All her doctor friends have Apples, iPhones and Apple Watches. Hello? The only people using windows laptops will be you and the Taliban.
    edited January 2017 Solipscooter63Mikeymikepulseimages
  • Reply 32 of 91
    MplsP said:
    I don't need high end graphics but do need a higher resolution display. I need USB A for a security key I use for work. I need good battery life...
    image These things are not a big hassle. Sounds like a basic Macbook would work great.
    Solichia
  • Reply 33 of 91
    Excellent video. Really appreciate it. Went into the Apple store the other day and the MB Pro's are very impressive, but I'm leaning to the MacBook. Mainly because it's light. I have an old 2009 MacBook Pro and it is heavy, terrible battery life but I love the form factor. Screen and keyboard. I have an iPad Mini but enjoy the MBP more.

Soli
  • Reply 34 of 91
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    MplsP said:
    I don't need high end graphics but do need a higher resolution display. I need USB A for a security key I use for work. I need good battery life…
    [image]
    These things are not a big hassle. Sounds like a basic Macbook would work great.
    There are plenty of choices that have both a USB-A and USB-C connector on a single flash drive for mixed machine use.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    He's got a security key, those are different. You can't just dump the data onto another flash drive.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    He's got a security key, those are different. You can't just dump the data onto another flash drive.
    Surely there are contingencies for such events as hardware failure, or even a hardware upgrade (as this would be).
  • Reply 37 of 91
    seafoxseafox Posts: 90member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Surely there are contingencies for such events as hardware failure, or even a hardware upgrade (as this would be).
    In the event of hardware failure he would have to visit the IT staff and get a new security device issued -- which would also be USB-A.
    The company picks a security hardware vendor for products that meet their needs at the best price. They pick the company whose products are compatible with over 95% of the computers out there. Maybe the vendor has a USB-C device in the planning. Meanwhile, the company already has unused USB-A devices ready to be used. Why should they have to buy another product just because Steve the special snowflake can't buy a "normal" computer?
    frankeedavon b7
  • Reply 38 of 91
    This is by far Apple's most convoluted and confusing Mac lineup since I can remember.  What the heck is going on at Apple to be making so many mistakes?
    Farnabywilliamlondondysamoriaentropyspulseimages
  • Reply 39 of 91
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    MplsP said:
    I don't need high end graphics but do need a higher resolution display. I need USB A for a security key I use for work. I need good battery life...

I have to agree with imperial forces - Apple's got nothing for me. Why should I pay $2k for a computer that forces me to make compromises? If I want compromises, I can get a windows laptop for ⅓ the price. 
    You cannot get a Windows laptop with NVMExpress SSD for 1/3 the price. Because there are none.

And before USB A you need updated libraries and appropriate java for your security key. With all those obsolete libraries and abandoned Java versions for your security SIM card you will be bound eternally to Windows XP then what are you doing in an Apple forum?

edited January 2017
  • Reply 40 of 91
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    My sense, looking at the lineup and reading the comments is that, with the Mac line) Apple has shifted from the Jobs style of "making great products that make people's lives better" to simply "Making great products".

Jobs goal was the person -- not the product.  The product was means to the end -- not the end.
    dysamoriapulseimagestokyojimu