How to get more Aerial Apple TV videos or change your screensaver outright

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
     love these new screen savers. I hope they come out with more.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Soli said:
    hucom2000 said:
    Yea nice, except that it doesn't work on our device - keeps playing the same two or three videos even with the "daily" option selected…
    I was agreeing with you as I read your post but then I started to tally what I can recall seeing. I don't know how many videos there are, but I seem to recall at least 2 views for many locations (Dubai, Arctic, San Francisco, Sahara, China, and Los Angeles).
    Hmmm --- I recall 2 New York, 2 or 3 San Fran, 1 Hawaii, 1 china wall. That's it. Definitely not 22 or what ever the number is. For example Greenland, never seen that one. Wish Apple had a preview for each that is loaded. Did a search on the web and there does not appear there are too many complaints...so not sure what to think.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I am going to finally get around to buying an AppleTV 4. The 2nd Gen in the basement is getting long in the tooth (e.g., the YouTube app is gone), so I have to bite the bullet. 

This is the FIRST EVER Apple product purchase that I can recall where I am going, "meh."

The only question I have is whether I should save $50, i.e., whether a 32GB will suffice...
    I agree with most of the stuff above. You may never end up using Siri, but if you do it is a real timesaver and I have found it to be very accurate.

My biggest peeve with the TV is the remote. The original one was too easy to loose. The new one is a little better in that regard but it doesn't feel great in the hand, and in the dark it is useless. Much better than v1 but still poor design imo. When it comes to a TV remote small is not particularly great - usability is what it should be all about.

edited January 2017
  • Reply 24 of 32
    slurpy said:
    I am going to finally get around to buying an AppleTV 4. The 2nd Gen in the basement is getting long in the tooth (e.g., the YouTube app is gone), so I have to bite the bullet. 

This is the FIRST EVER Apple product purchase that I can recall where I am going, "meh."

The only question I have is whether I should save $50, i.e., whether a 32GB will suffice...
    I use my ATV4 for:

- Watching all my paid subscriptions and live TV guide
    - Netflix
    - Plex for my local content
    - Viewing our photos and albums on a big screen through iCloud library
    - Screen mirroring from iPhone/iPad when shared browsing
    - Airplaying photos/videos
    - Light gaming
    - Watching Youtube clips
    - Controling homekit products through Siri
    - Yoga (my wife and I use an app as a virtual class a couple times a week. Much more convenient than trudging to and paying for classes)
    - A virtual fireplace/fishtank/etc to enhance the atmosphere when we're hosting
    - Streaming music through spotify and Apple Music
    - And a couple other things that don't occur to me now..

Yeah.. definitely not a "meh" product for me. Probably the most useful and value-filled Apple product I own. It feels like a fucking steal to me for $200. If I had to choice but to pay 5X as much for it, I would, because it is used constantly for a variety of things and enhances our lives. But, to each their own. 
    It does a lot. But, it's a pain in the a$$ to use. The remote sucks, the ui sucks...I could go on and on. Simply skipping to the next song is more complicated than it needs to be. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Report it: http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html
    hucom2000 said:
    Yea nice, except that it doesn't work on our device - keeps playing the same two or three videos even with the "daily" option selected...
    Report it: http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html I have the same problem and I report it from time to time. It *used* to work, before the latest round of tvOS updates, at least for me.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    boeyc15 said:
    Soli said:
    hucom2000 said:
    Yea nice, except that it doesn't work on our device - keeps playing the same two or three videos even with the "daily" option selected…
    I was agreeing with you as I read your post but then I started to tally what I can recall seeing. I don't know how many videos there are, but I seem to recall at least 2 views for many locations (Dubai, Arctic, San Francisco, Sahara, China, and Los Angeles).
    Hmmm --- I recall 2 New York, 2 or 3 San Fran, 1 Hawaii, 1 china wall. That's it. Definitely not 22 or what ever the number is. For example Greenland, never seen that one. Wish Apple had a preview for each that is loaded. Did a search on the web and there does not appear there are too many complaints...so not sure what to think.
    1) The Greenland is just gorgeous, and Dubai looks unreal to me, so much so that I'd think it was CGI from a sci-fi movie if I didn't know better.

2) If I have any complaint with my 4th gen Apple TV it's that it stops receiving commands from remote controls (both an IR and BT), which requires pulling the plug and rebooting. At least the reboot on the Apple TV is wicked fast.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 27 of 32
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    slurpy said:

I use my ATV4 for:

- Watching all my paid subscriptions and live TV guide
    - Netflix
    - Plex for my local content
    - Viewing our photos and albums on a big screen through iCloud library
    - Screen mirroring from iPhone/iPad when shared browsing
    - Airplaying photos/videos
    - Light gaming
    - Watching Youtube clips
    - Controling homekit products through Siri
    - Yoga (my wife and I use an app as a virtual class a couple times a week. Much more convenient than trudging to and paying for classes)
    - A virtual fireplace/fishtank/etc to enhance the atmosphere when we're hosting
    - Streaming music through spotify and Apple Music
    - And a couple other things that don't occur to me now..

Yeah.. definitely not a "meh" product for me. Probably the most useful and value-filled Apple product I own. It feels like a fucking steal to me for $200. If I had to choice but to pay 5X as much for it, I would, because it is used constantly for a variety of things and enhances our lives. But, to each their own. 
    I use my ATV 4 for just about the same list, but I have one suggestion and one gripe. The suggestion is to create a folder in iPhoto and call it ATV or My Favourites or something like that. Drop your best photos into it, family, friends, trips, etc. and then use it as your screensaver on Apple TV. I like the floating style best. Nice when you are relaxing at home and a great talking point when family and friends visit. The gripe is that ATV doesn't do the iTunes visualiser. If I want it I have to also hook up a Mac to the same screen, switch over to the Mac when I want to play music and use the normal menu options to turn on the visualiser, OK for a planned party, but clearly sub-optimal for more casual or impromptu occasions (nudge-nudge, wink-wink).
  • Reply 28 of 32
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    I see a few of them but I never know where they are from!

Is there a way to get info on the current screensaver? As far as I can see pressing any button cancels it...
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 29 of 32
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    With tvOS 10.2, Apple added to the number of "theoretical" variations, and reduced the size the 350MB, but like many users, I have yet to see more than the same two or three, despite asking for daily downloads.

Perhaps they'll fix it at some point, or actually give users a choice of which one they'd like displayed, but I'm not counting on it.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    I was having the same issue with the new aerial screen savers not showing up evening though I've had it set to download daily. I decided to a full factory reset & update & that did the trick. The new aerial screensavers are mesmerizing. Definitely worth doing the factory reset & update. Then to get all your apps just go into App Store under purchased and they're all right there. With the new AppleTV remote app & single sign on for cable provider it's so easy. 
  • Reply 31 of 32
    steveau said:

I use my ATV 4 for just about the same list, but I have one suggestion and one gripe. The suggestion is to create a folder in iPhoto and call it ATV or My Favourites or something like that. Drop your best photos into it, family, friends, trips, etc. and then use it as your screensaver on Apple TV. I like the floating style best. Nice when you are relaxing at home and a great talking point when family and friends visit. The gripe is that ATV doesn't do the iTunes visualiser. If I want it I have to also hook up a Mac to the same screen, switch over to the Mac when I want to play music and use the normal menu options to turn on the visualiser, OK for a planned party, but clearly sub-optimal for more casual or impromptu occasions (nudge-nudge, wink-wink).
    FWIW, another option is to put photos into a Flickr account. My ATV3 allows me to use a Flickr album as a screensaver, so I assume the ATV4 allows this as well. I haven't tried it because I love the Aerial screen savers, but I'd be surprised if this option isn't still available.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 32 of 32

The new screensavers are just drop-dead gorgeous.

The Artic one is just so ethereal. Dubai and Singapore look so crisp in the night time and the London one in the evening, with the purple sky and purple lights looks amazing.