Lenovo's $280 ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock adds full-size USB, HDMI, more to new MacBook Pr...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member
    And this is the type of thing one needs to lug with them if they need to connect to a projector, use a USB drive from a customer, or be flexible in the real world. 

And yes, an SD slot in the laptop is essential to many pros because they can plug it with a 250GB drive and use it as a library.
    Here's an idea.  If you are the type of person that needs to lug around a laptop to apparently plug into a bunch of projectors around the world every day of your life.. then do NOT buy the 2016 MacBook.  The other 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% of us have no need for such.  

On a much less sarcastic note.  If only someone made a $70 USB-C mini hub that is the size of a credit card, fits in your pocket and had HDMI, USB 3.0 and SD card reader.. then you would have nothing else to wine about.  Too bad that device does not exist:  https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Shuttle-Delivery-Charging-Output/dp/B019R9ILTG

I mean if such a device existed.. you'd be out of excuses.  

edited January 2017 ai46StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 41
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    Daekwan said:
    And this is the type of thing one needs to lug with them if they need to connect to a projector, use a USB drive from a customer, or be flexible in the real world. 

And yes, an SD slot in the laptop is essential to many pros because they can plug it with a 250GB drive and use it as a library.
    Here's an idea.  If you are the type of person that needs to lug around a laptop to apparently plug into a bunch of projectors around the world every day of your life.. then do NOT buy the 2016 MacBook.  The other 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% of us have no need for such.  

On a much less sarcastic note.  If only someone made a $70 USB-C mini hub that is the size of a credit card, fits in your pocket and had HDMI, USB 3.0 and SD card reader.. then you would have nothing else to wine about.  Too bad that device does not exist:  https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Shuttle-Delivery-Charging-Output/dp/B019R9ILTG

Yeah, if such a device ever existed, say on amazon or something, then the argument would be, how do I connect via ethernet or why didn't Apple include it in the box for free? 
    /s
    ai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 41
    thedba said:
    Daekwan said:

Yeah, if such a device ever existed, say on amazon or something, then the argument would be, how do I connect via ethernet or why didn't Apple include it in the box for free? 
    /s
    Funny you mention that as Im using a Thunderbolt2-to-Ethernet dongle as im typing this right now on my 2015 MBP Retina.. (you know the holy grail of MacBooks because this one actually comes with USB 3.0 ports, HDMI and SD card reader). Because Im running my '15 rMBP in 'desktop mode'.. I bullshit you not it needs four (yes 4) different freaking cables plugged into the side of it to truly accomplish 'desktop mode':

1) One cable is for MagSafe power
    2) The second is a Thunderbolt2-to-HDMI 2.0 adapter so I can connect the MBPr to my 40" Samsung 4KTV (runs the desktop at 4K@60hz!!)
    3) The third is a Thunderbolt2-to-Ethernet adapter because my wifi sucks in the basement and Im too cheap to put another WAP down there 
    4) The fourth is a USB-to-lightning cable that I use for the sole purpose of charging my iPhone, Apple Keyboard2 & Trackpad2 when using 'desktop mode'.

Four freaking cables that I pretty much plugin every time Im down here.  I use the 4 cables so much, I have them zip-tied together to make them easier to find when connecting.  Of course the new 2016 MacBook with USB-C could accomplish the same setup with a single cable plugged into a hub that sits permanently on the desk.. and I could connect a ton more stuff to that hub.   But the last "real MacBook" as people on the internet like to call it, I dont need to use any dongles because it already has every port I need built in lol.

Anybody wanna trade their 2016 MBP w/TouchBar and TouchID for my holy grail 2016 MBP that needs no adapters or dongles??
    StrangeDayswatto_cobraanome
  • Reply 24 of 41
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    Daekwan said:
    thedba said:
    Daekwan said:

/s
    Funny you mention that as Im using a Thunderbolt2-to-Ethernet dongle as im typing this right now on my 2015 MBP Retina.. (you know the holy grail of MacBooks because this one actually comes with USB 3.0 ports, HDMI and SD card reader). Because Im running my '15 rMBP in 'desktop mode'.. I bullshit you not it needs four (yes 4) different freaking cables plugged into the side of it to truly accomplish 'desktop mode':

2) The second is a Thunderbolt2-to-HDMI 2.0 adapter so I can connect the MBPr to my 40" Samsung 4KTV (runs the desktop at 4K@60hz!!)
    3) The third is a Thunderbolt2-to-Ethernet adapter because my wifi sucks in the basement and Im too cheap to put another WAP down there 
    4) The fourth is a USB-to-lightning cable that I use for the sole purpose of charging my iPhone, Apple Keyboard2 & Trackpad2 when using 'desktop mode'.

Four freaking cables that I pretty much plugin every time Im down here.  I use the 4 cables so much, I have them zip-tied together to make them easier to find when connecting.  Of course the new 2016 MacBook with USB-C could accomplish the same setup with a single cable plugged into a hub that sits permanently on the desk.. and I could connect a ton more stuff to that hub.   But the last "real MacBook" as people on the internet like to call it, I dont need to use any dongles because it already has every port I need built in lol.

Anybody wanna trade their 2016 MBP w/TouchBar and TouchID for my holy grail 2016 MBP that needs no adapters or dongles??
    I have a similar setup, but at the office with my holy grail 2015 rMBP.  However, since I can't stand too many cables, I invested in an Elgato TB2 dock. 
    On it, I have a Dell 27" 4K monitor, external USB disk that contains all my VM's for experimenting, another USB disk for Time Machine backups my over ear earphones to cancel noise when I need to concentrate and an extra lightning cable for charging/syncing iOS devices if necessary. 
    Just one TB2 cable drives all that.
    Of course the 2016 rMBP is even more elegant since one cable can drive all that and supply power as well, which IMO more than makes up for dropping mag safe. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 41
    aknabi said:
    crogers said:
    God damn that is ugly!
    Well Apple is too courageous to even offer one... Generally ThinkPad gear has always had a "sturdy, functional" aesthetic
    It is that!
  • Reply 26 of 41
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Daekwan said:
    thedba said:
    /s

Hmmm...I connect 4 as well: magsafe, tb/dp, ethernet and USB.

Now you could drop all that down to 2: magsafe and TB2 if you have a TB2 docking station like the one listed above.  The nice thing about USB-C isn't just a 50% reduction in cables but that a $70 USB-C hub works about as well as a $250 TB hub for most folks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 41
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Daekwan said:

That is cool! Thanks for the link, hadn't seen that device before.
    watto_cobraDaekwan
  • Reply 28 of 41
    nht said:
    Daekwan said:
    thedba said:
    /s

Hmmm...I connect 4 as well: magsafe, tb/dp, ethernet and USB.

Now you could drop all that down to 2: magsafe and TB2 if you have a TB2 docking station like the one listed above.  The nice thing about USB-C isn't just a 50% reduction in cables but that a $70 USB-C hub works about as well as a $250 TB hub for most folks.
    I thought about getting the OWC T2 dock last year.. but kinda seems silly at this point to invest in a T2 dock, when T3 is here and kicking.  Also didnt help that I bought my '15 rMBP at the same time my I also go the '15 rMB for my wife.  From now on, any major MacBook related purchase will need to support T3.  Good example would be all of the new 27" or larger monitors, when someone finally gets the correction combination.. and makes a USB-C 27" 4K monitor with built in USB 3.0 hub that actually connects at T3 speeds.. I'll go for it.  
  • Reply 29 of 41
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I thought IBM owned the ThinkPad name?
    IBM sold or spun off their PC manufacturing business, including associated trademarks like ThinkPad, to Lenovo years ago.

mknelson said:

Shipping in February, the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock will cost $279.99. Lenovo has confirmed that it is compatible with the MacBook Pro, and not blocked by Apple like some previous peripherals have been.
    Blocked by Apple or was it simply early devices that had poorly implemented chip-sets?
    po-TAY-toe, po-TAH-toe

After all, Apple expecting things to follow up to date standards is an undue burden on other manufacturers.

For people who want a portable dock that removes the need for dongles, look at this:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hypershop/hyperdrivetm-compact-thunderbolt-3-usb-c-hub-for-m?ref=user_menu

It does take up two ports, but it gives you all those legacy ports everyone so desperately needs, and it's significantly cheaper than a full TB3 dock. (I intend to leave mine plugged in on my desk with peripherals connected.)
  • Reply 30 of 41
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Even the PC industry is filling in for Apple's failings. 
  • Reply 31 of 41
    thedba said:
    What? No SD card reader? We've been told, over and over again by the internet that "professionals" absolutely need an SD slot in order to have a productive machine. /s

On the serious side now, through one cable you can drive 1-3 4K monitors, a few traditional USB disks, connect via ethernet and power up the machine. This explains the absence of the single purpose mag-safe port on the newer MacBooks. So the dongle hell that ignorant pundits have been peddling is .... a NON ISSUE.

Dongle Hell is an issue.  Now you have to lug around a large dock and its powersupply to get the ports you want.
  • Reply 32 of 41

MacPro said:
    I wish there were some way for OWC or similar to come up with an internal connector to access the new Mac Pro's high speed bus used by the internal SSD so as to connect to such a dock.  Mac Pro users are stuck at TB2 as it is.

Thunderbolt is the connector to the Mac Pro's high speed bus.  
    The Mac Pros have the old version of it.  
    Hopefully Apple comes up with new Mac Pros in 2017 that update Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    brainsbrains Posts: 11member
    Many, many of you are confused.  Road warriors *are not* pros, and the MBP is just not the right unit for them.  If you're carting a 3500 MBP, plus a couple hundred in dongles and whatnot, just so you can plug into a projector and run a PowerPoint document?  You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer, lets leave it there.

If your purpose is presentations in unknown environments (VGA?  HDMI?  DP?) or swapping thumb drives with people, you need a device that matches your needs.  You WANT the MBP (ooh new and shiny!), but it's just not the right gear for your task.  To use the ever so fun automotive analogies, you're trying to take home a new mattress in your Bentley, when you should have brought a pickup truck.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    dontekdontek Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    "There is also the potential to run up to three 4K displays through the dock, using both DisplayPort connections and the Thunderbolt 3 port, though in this case only the Thunderbolt 3-connected display will be at 60Hz while the others will run at lower refresh rates."

How did you arrive at this conclusion; specifically the clocking down of the DisplayPort (presumably to 30Hz) connections if the spare Thunderbolt 3 port is driving a third display? I can't find any information supporting this claim.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    dontek said:
    "There is also the potential to run up to three 4K displays through the dock, using both DisplayPort connections and the Thunderbolt 3 port, though in this case only the Thunderbolt 3-connected display will be at 60Hz while the others will run at lower refresh rates."

How did you arrive at this conclusion; specifically the clocking down of the DisplayPort (presumably to 30Hz) connections if the spare Thunderbolt 3 port is driving a third display? I can't find any information supporting this claim.
    Lenovo's PR.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Hmm. Since my work machine is a ThinkPad, this is mighty tempting as a single stop dock for my home office, that will also work with the MacBooks in my house.

VGA though? Will that port ever die?
  • Reply 37 of 41
    OmegaZer0OmegaZer0 Posts: 1member
    Sorry MacBook Pro folks! Just received the Thunderbolt 3 Dock (40AC0135US) for my 2016 13" MBP No TouchBar, plugged in (1) 25" Dell 2560 x 1440 HDMI and (1) Dell P2715Q (4K) DisplayPort and only the HDMI monitor displays signal. Going with 2 DisplayPort cables simply mirrors the two external displays. The only drivers available from Lenovo are for Win7 and Win10. DisplayLink drivers do not work.

Yes i rebooted after each configuration attempt. Yes all of the cables work. No I'm not happy with the purchase.
    CTYankee
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Same here: I have MacBook Pro 13" with touchbar. And Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock. With 2xDisplayport or even 1xDisplayport + 1xHDMI they keep mirror displays. The only solution is to use:
    1st monitor: Displayport
    2nd monitor: USB-C (thunderbolt 3 port) in front panel (I did it with Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - MJ1K2ZM/A with HDMI cabel to my second monitor.

PS! 2xDisplayport with separated screen works well with Lenovo ThinkPad T470 through the Thunderbolt port.

edited May 2017 CTYankee
  • Reply 39 of 41
    CTYankeeCTYankee Posts: 1member
    Count me in as another first post here for this topic. 

I was all set to buy one when I checked this thread. The Dual DP was a big reason for going this direction. However it seems that just will not work. 

I have two Dell 4K displays I hope to drive off one cable:

2016 MBP to TB3 Dock to Dual Dell 24" 4K (and 4 USB 3 drives as well as a TB2 drive)

Looks like the CalDigit may win again.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    kustardkingkustardking Posts: 106member
    I purchased the Lenovo dock for my 13" non-touch bar because

1) my Caldigit TS3 Lite would get freaky with my laptop when it went to sleep or was unplugged from the monitor - screen flashing and strange redraw regions making forced shutdowns a regular activity

2) my pre-order of the OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock still hasn't shipped

I don't have two monitors to test with, but my Dell 4K works fine through the Thunderbolt 3 port on the front, and I have no sleep/disconnection problems. It's also a lot lighter than the TS3, and I travel occasionally with it.
    edited July 2017