Apple Pay adds support for 17 new US banks and credit unions

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple this week expanded support for its quickly growing Apple Pay service with the addition of 17 new U.S. banks and credit unions.

Tacked on to a running list of supporting financial institutions, the latest announcement follows a batch of more than 30 additions in December and brings the total to more than 1,660 participating card issuers nationwide.

Apple added the following 17 banks and credit unions to its Apple Pay support page:
  • Enrichment Federal Credit Union
  • First Security Bank of Arkansas
  • Marion & Polk Schools Credit Union
  • Merchants Bank of Indiana
  • Northern Michigan Bank & Trust
  • Ohnward Bank and Trust
  • Postel Family Credit Union
  • River Cities Bank
  • River Town Bank
  • Simplicity Credit Union
  • SouthPoint Bank
  • TexasBank
  • The Peoples Community Bank
  • Town & Country Bank (IL)
  • Town & Country Bank (UT)
  • Trius Federal Credit Union
  • Woori America Bank
Though Apple Pay got off to a slow start, the fledgling digital payments product has grown rapidly over the past two quarters with major launches in Japan and, more recently, Spain. Apple's payment arm also broadened existing international support Russia, Australia, China and Singapore.

Most recently, Apple reached an agreement with Square in December to integrate Apple Pay with the Square Cash "virtual debit card" system.

Last month, Apple Pay chief Jennifer Bailey said 35 percent of U.S. retailers, or some 4 million locations, now accept the touchless payments product. Looking to 2017, Bailey expects Apple Pay availability in two out of every three stores as giant chains like Gap come onboard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    How long has Apple Pay been around now? Two years? Store clerks are still clueless and amazed when you try to use it, have no idea what’s going on. Merchant policies still random and inconsistent. Sometimes I have to enter my PIN, sometimes not. I’ve even been required to manually sign the transaction (this happened at a MicroCenter store). Number of merchants supporting NFC staying about the same with few additions. Major retailers still not accepting it (CVS, Walmart, The Home Depot, etc.) POS terminals sketchy in operation at times. In my neck of the woods many merchants still don’t have Chip&PIN activated either with pieces of tape and little hand written signs covering the slot where your chipped card would insert. Excuses are sometimes hilarious. When Chip&PIN is working it’s funny to watch people trying to insert their cards every which way but the correct one, then pulling it out too soon, all the while cussing a blue streak the entire time, the clerk standing there with that “whatever” look on her face. God, we are a nation of stupid people.
    edited January 2017 muppetry
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lkrupp said:
    How long has Apple Pay been around now? Two years? Store clerks are still clueless and amazed when you try to use it, have no idea what’s going on. Merchant policies still random and inconsistent. Sometimes I have to enter my PIN, sometimes not. I’ve even been required to manually sign the transaction (this happened at a MicroCenter store). Number of merchants supporting NFC staying about the same with few additions. Major retailers still not accepting it (CVS, Walmart, The Home Depot, etc.) POS terminals sketchy in operation at times. In my neck of the woods many merchants still don’t have Chip&PIN activated either with pieces of tape and little hand written signs covering the slot where your chipped card would insert. Excuses are sometimes hilarious. When Chip&PIN is working it’s funny to watch people trying to insert their cards every which way but the correct one, then pulling it out too soon, all the while cussing a blue streak the entire time, the clerk standing there with that “whatever” look on her face. God, we are a nation of stupid people.
    I use it whenever and wherever possible. I look for the contactless icon on the card swipers, and often get a chance to amaze the clueless drones at the checkouts. I still amaze check out  people at Kohls by using my Apple Watch for both rewards card and Kohl's credit card.
    edited January 2017 watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Okay, outside the Apple Pay experience, I'm more curious to know if this initiative is really paying off for Apple and its bottom line?  I suppose they are getting their small cut of each transaction but I can't imagine that is adding up to much.  More importantly it was supposed to lead people to buying the iPhone or Apple Watch.  Has that happened?  Maybe the numbers tell a positive story but none of my friends ever talk about it saying how Apple Pay is the best thing since sliced bread.  Don't get me wrong, I have it on my Apple Watch series 1...I use it on occasion and "it just works".  That is awesome.  

And in my experience the store staff are starting to know about it.  Perhaps they are not being told by their management on how it works but they see other customers using it and can learn/help that way.  So eventually these young kids who work at the stores will end up championing and guiding more people to use Apple Pay.

So I might sound a bit wishy-washy here...but all I am saying and hoping for is that is making a difference for Apple.  I mean they put a lot into this...I would hope some ROI is being realized.

Lastly, if I could offer one criticism to Apple it would be that I simply don't think they advertise this Apple Pay enough.  I bet so many people don't even know they have it on their iPhones or Apple Watches.
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 6
    amarkap said:
    Okay, outside the Apple Pay experience, I'm more curious to know if this initiative is really paying off for Apple and its bottom line? 
    On a different thread, someone had mentioned that Apple is now just concentrating on making "great products", which is only a part of Steve's mantra, which was to "make great products that make people's lives better". I suspect Apple Pay is exactly that - a great product that makes people's lives more convenient.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Apple Pay is sorely lacking at the short list of retailers that I visit the most often. I won't name them, but one is a grocery chain, one is a home improvement retailer, another four are fast food/casual dining places, and the last are three different gasoline retailers where I pay at the pump. I was quite spoiled last summer when I visited Disney World right after getting my first phone with AP capability -- only one purchase there didn't work and it was on a portable reader in a restaurant.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I think this is great news. It's been a bit slow growing, but as long as the growth plan holds up we will be seeing a great deal more retailers accepting Apple Pay this year. Several of my favorite restaurants are now accepting it, which is great. I wish we could integrate our drivers license in to it as well. I'd love to completely get rid of my wallet one day. I love Apple Pay and use it any place that I can. 
    jSnively