New Yorker magazine 'Waterways' cover illustrated on iPad Pro, with Apple Pencil

Posted:
in iPad edited May 2017
The most recent cover of New Yorker was created on a 12.9-inch iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil for the first time by the publication, and the magazine has published a video briefly illustrating the process.
The cover of the Jan 9. issue that hit the news stand on Tuesday, was created by Jorge Colombo using Procreate, the iPad, and the Apple Pencil. The video shows the process that Colombo used, in a time-lapse fashion. Colombo has used his iPad and iPhone before for cover illustrations, but "Waterways" is the first using the Apple Pencil and the iPad Pro. Apple's 12.9-inch iPad and Apple Pencil were revealed on Sept 9, 2015, and both started shipping to customers on Nov. 11, 2015. The New Yorker has an iPad-specific version since Oct. 4, 2010, available through the publication's application.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Where's the video?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    The script for the video that New Yorker provided to us doesn't display on the forums. If you look on the homepage's version of the article, you can see the video.
    albegarc
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I saw the video & liked it.  Thank you!!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The illustrator must be new to both iPad Pro and Procreate. There are much, much better examples of professional looking illustrations out there created on the iPad Pro.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    The script for the video that New Yorker provided to us doesn't display on the forums. If you look on the homepage's version of the article, you can see the video.
    https://thescene.com/watch/thenewyorker/sketchbook-jorge-colombo-s-waterways

Link for those interested. Updated forum post as well.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jSnively said:
    https://thescene.com/watch/thenewyorker/sketchbook-jorge-colombo-s-waterways

Link for those interested. Updated forum post as well.
    Thanks!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Great works of art are created every day on the iPad Pro using the Apple Pencil, by artists like me and countless others--works that are freely visible on the Procreate software forums. And the majority of our works show a much higher degree of mastery of using both the application and the Pencil than what is featured here.
    I just do not see why Mr. Colombo's creation merits extra attention simply because he happens to work for the New Yorker.
    This is the third online publication I have come across in the past few days touting this "news" item as if it was some kind of groundbreaking artistic achievement when in fact I wonder what took so long--considering how long the iPad Pro, Procreate and the Apple Pencil have all been on the market.
    My final point is that though Mr. Colombo's work has merit and is a compelling illustration the portfolios of works created by myself and other talented artists, using the exact same tools Mr. Colombo employed, truly far outshine this one--but because we don't have the New Yorker associated with us there are too many readers left to believe that what is featured here is among the best an artist can do on the iPad Pro.

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Great works of art are created every day on the iPad Pro using the Apple Pencil, by artists like me and countless others--works that are freely visible on the Procreate software forums. And the majority of our works show a much higher degree of mastery of using both the application and the Pencil than what is featured here.
    I just do not see why Mr. Colombo's creation merits extra attention simply because he happens to work for the New Yorker.
    This is the third online publication I have come across in the past few days touting this "news" item as if it was some kind of groundbreaking artistic achievement when in fact I wonder what took so long--considering how long the iPad Pro, Procreate and the Apple Pencil have all been on the market.
    My final point is that though Mr. Colombo's work has merit and is a compelling illustration the portfolios of works created by myself and other talented artists, using the exact same tools Mr. Colombo employed, truly far outshine this one--but because we don't have the New Yorker associated with us there are too many readers left to believe that what is featured here is among the best an artist can do on the iPad Pro.

Indeed. In fact, the featured illustration also looks very soft, which tells me the illustrator didn't even use the right resolution settings for his canvas before starting. Totally rookie error.