Chamberlain announces Smart Garage Hub to connect any garage door to Apple HomeKit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2017
Owners of virtually any garage door opener will be able to use Siri to open, close, or check the status of their garage, and also control its lights, via a new HomeKit-compatible hub accessory coming later this year from Chamberlain.

The new Chamberlain Smart Garage Hub will add smartphone control to an existing garage door opener. According to Chamberlain, the hub should work with "virtually any brand of garage door opener."

The MyQ-branded hub uses a home Wi-Fi connection to connect garage door controls to the internet. And because it includes integrated HomeKit support, it will allow users to open, close or check the status of their garage door via iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or with Siri.

Chamberlain's Smart Garage Hub is scheduled to arrive in July. Pricing has not yet been announced.

In addition, Chamberlain also announced the MyQ Home Bridge, an accessory that adds HomeKit compatibility to existing MyQ-connected devices. That includes MyQ Garage (1st generation), any Chamberlain Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener, or any MyQ Enabled Garage Door Openers that use an internet gateway.

The MyQ Home Bridge will carry a special introductory price of $49.99 before returning to its regular price of $69.99. It's scheduled to arrive in April of 2017.

See AppleInsider's ongoing coverage of CES 2017 for more Apple-connected devices announced at this week's Consumer Electronics Show.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rsbellrsbell Posts: 11member
    I'll believe it when I see it's been 2 years in the making...

"We're going to provide a free update for HomeKit compatibility. That's slotted for that June/July (2015) timeframe." -Cory Sorice, VP of Marketing, Connected Products for Chamberlain, March 2015
    bsimpsenpatchythepirater00fus1
  • Reply 2 of 11
    A $69.99 momentary switch.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    finally
  • Reply 4 of 11
    sterlingnomoresterlingnomore Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    It's unfortunate they never really clarified the whole HomeKit compatibility fiasco. There has never been a way to update the software of a smart device to work with HomeKit, and once they realized that Chamberlain just stopped commenting, leaving many people confused and pissed. I've been using the Homebridge workaround for a long time, but there are many people who either do not have the technical know how, or just do not want to deal with it that now have to buy the new hardware to get HomeKit.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Willl this work for some detached garages? I can't get  a wifi signal in my detached garage that is about 5-7m from the house. 

• Reply 6 of 11
    FTI76FTI76 Posts: 3member
    If you have an always on mac install homebridge and your MyQ garage door will be homekit compatible for free.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    rmfpdxrmfpdx Posts: 18member
    Most people's garage has a door inside to the rest of the house. I won't be installing anything that allows someone use the internet to hack their way into my actual house.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    rmfpdx said:
    Most people's garage has a door inside to the rest of the house. I won't be installing anything that allows someone use the internet to hack their way into my actual house.
    It's pretty trivial to get into most garages.  That interior door should be treated as any other exterior door.

patchythepirate
  • Reply 9 of 11
    rmfpdx said:
    Most people lock the interior door inside the garage with the deadbolt because a closed garage door is a false sense of security. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    How dumb that HomeKit is not integrated into anew version of the Internet gateway! I have to have two devices sitting in my house, I am tired of so many little devices everywhere. Chamberlain needs integrate the two into one!!!
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 11 of 11
    classic BS. so i take it you need a myQ internet gateway OR chamberlain myQ garage motor thing. why do I have both. Can I sell one.