iOS-compatible Ring Floodlight Cam features 110 decibel siren, cloud camera recording

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2017
Ring, the manufacturer of the connected Video Doorbell, is giving homeowners another way to secure their home. The Ring Floodlight Cam is a combination of a security camera and motion-sensitive outdoor light, which can be used to monitor an area remotely via a mobile app or a computer, alerting users if suspicious activity is detected nearby.

The motion sensors on the Ring Floodlight Cam have a 270-degree field of view, while a two-tier detection system adds in facial and object detection, and customizable zones to refine what areas need or do not require as much protection. A built-in speaker and microphone allows the homeowner to hear noises and to verbally respond to intruders via the app, which can also be used to turn on the 3K lumens LED lights, and the 110-decibel siren.

The unit houses a 1080p video camera with a wide-angle lens, which can be used to stream video live to a mobile device, with infrared night vision available for low-light recording. Footage of events can be shared with others, and can also be stored automatically to the Cloud Video Recording service.

The Ring cloud storage can hold video for up to six months, and though it does require a $3 per month subscription, Ring does include a 30-day trial of the service with the device.

The Ring Floodlight Cam is available to pre-order, priced at $249, with shipments expected to start in April.

Ring is best known for the Video Doorbell, which is a Wi-Fi connected doorbell with a built-in camera. Users can see who rang the doorbell from the companion app, and can also converse with the person at the door if needed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    MAU47MAU47 Posts: 9member
    Also, not mentioned here is that it will be homekit compatible.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Also not mentioned here is the sub cost. 
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    MAU47 said:
    Also, not mentioned here is that it will be homekit compatible.
    That's because it isn't.

Subscription cost is $3 a month.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Been looking into something like this, so far it looks like Kuna beats Ring.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Been looking into something like this, so far it looks like Kuna beats Ring.
    How is Kuna is better? I like that it uses an extension on an existing light fixture so you can offload power via a USB port, but other than that it seems to be a much worse option for what I'm looking.

No night vision, no flood lights, and the cost is $7.49/month compared to $3/month for Ring's solution.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    If you have more than 1 Ring device, subscription costs are additive ($3/device) and IMHO expensive if you want full coverage of your home. Ring should consider a 'bundle' price for multi device customers, especially as they bring on new hardware like this.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I should've waited instead of buying the Arlo Pro. Dammit!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    $3/mo is too much for a temporary storage service. Sorry. I'd rather have it just rotate 2-3 days worth of footage on local storage. 

Can you imagine if all the private CCTV systems in the '80s, which re-used tapes, had to instead pay a monthly service provider? No deal.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    $3/mo is too much for a temporary storage service. Sorry. I'd rather have it just rotate 2-3 days worth of footage on local storage. 

Can you imagine if all the private CCTV systems in the '80s, which re-used tapes, had to instead pay a monthly service provider? No deal.
    There is a benefit because if your house is then broken into and your storage device is taken you will still have cloud-based storage in which to help locate the culprit. I'd pay the $30 annual fee for that. However, I'd rather this was PoE so I don't have to run a power cable and then relay on WiFi for data connectivity, but I do like the floodlights (which might be why it can't use PoE. Maybe with USB-C with can offer up to 100W the power capacity might be enough for the LED floodlights and other electronics.

Wirecutter lists the Logitech Logi Circle as having a built-in rechargeable battery and free cloud video storage for the past 24 hours. That time frame might screw you on vacation, but if you're home every day it would come in handy.

• Reply 10 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Soli said:

There is a benefit because if your house is then broken into and your storage device is taken you will still have cloud-based storage in which to help locate the culprit. I'd pay the $30 annual fee for that. However, I'd rather this was PoE so I don't have to run a power cable and then relay on WiFi for data connectivity, but I do like the floodlights (which might be why it can't use PoE. Maybe with USB-C with can offer up to 100W the power capacity might be enough for the LED floodlights and other electronics.

Wirecutter lists the Logitech Logi Circle as having a built-in rechargeable battery and free cloud video storage for the past 24 hours. That time frame might screw you on vacation, but if you're home every day it would come in handy.

I'd pay the $36 for my whole house, but not every device. It would quickly add up. Chances are households already have a cloud-based subscription anyway, so it makes better sense to select a storage option that syncs over the cloud. Unless you're in the IoT service business, that is. I guess that's my main complaint -- every IoT manufacturer wants to be in the service provider business, but this is unreasonable when considering a house-full of devices. They can't *all* expect me to buy their cloud storage.

Having them integrate Dropbox or iCloud the way apps like PDFpen do is the correct solution, IMO. Ex: Have a cloud service? Great, authenticate here and you're set. No service? Great, sign up with us and we'll do the rest. Win win.

Yeah I'm fairly certain there's no POE because of the draw. For outdoor use it's easier for my house to just mount it on the existing exterior box and connect to wifi.

Interesting Logitech device. I like the free 24-hours. To avoid being screwed, hopefully it's an on-demand upgrade option -- did you go on vacation and now you need 4 days ago? Great, retroactively buy a week of hosting and access it.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 11 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    FWIW I use Ring's doorbell video/security (RingPro) and it's been really useful. I get notifications when anyone walks into the front yard or approaches the door. The sensitivity and motion zones can be adjusted to help reduce false alerts as can the times when motion alerts are active. Added a remote Ring doorbell to the studio and workshop so I hear it when someone rings the doorbell at the house proper. I can "Liveview"  whenever I wish to just generally check the area, The video quality is excellent, and the cloud storage is pretty cheap. A Cloud subscription is not required tho. 
    edited January 2017