Earin combats Apple's AirPods with new M-2 truly wireless earbuds

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2017
Not long after the release of the M-1 --?and Apple's own AirPods -- Earin has unveiled its new M-2 completely wireless Bluetooth earbuds, adding a touch interface to the tip of the earpiece.

As with Apple AirPods, the M-2 earbuds can be used for listening to music and taking phone calls. The touch control on the earbud itself has rudimentary media controls, allowing users to play, pause, and skip tracks.

A magnetic docking capsule stores and charges the earbuds. One charge from the capsule gives three hours of battery life per charge, and provides three charges before depletion. Charge time for the capsule is approximately 75 minutes.

As with the M-1, the M-2 comes with three pairs of various sized ear tips and ear stabilizers to ensure a tight fit

The wireless technology connecting the earbuds is proprietary to Earin, and utilizes "dual antenna and Near Field Magnetic Induction (NFMI) powered by NXP Semiconductors," according to the company.

The speakers in the M-2 have a frequency range of 20 to 20,000 Hz, with a speaker sensitivity of 105 dB SPL. Speaker impedance is 25 Ohm.

The Earin M-2 True Wireless Earbuds will release late in the first quarter. Pricing has not yet been announced, but the Earin M-1 Earbuds retail for $199.99.

AppleInsider briefly examined the Earin M-1, and found that the predecessor does a decent job of drowning out most ambient noise at mid-range, with sound customizable through the Earin iOS app. The app also serves as a battery life monitor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If the W1 chip does what they say it does then I would prefer connection stability over all.
    MetriacanthosauruscaliStrangeDaysjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    lkrupp said:
    If the W1 chip does what they say it does then I would prefer connection stability over all.
    Ditto. That's my big complaint about Bluetooth. It *usually* works, but for something like headphones, I want something that ALWAYS works, especially if they're going to charge $180-200
    jcdinkinsjbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 17
    The audio stability of my AirPods was great.  In general they are awesome gadgets. Problem was they continuously fell out. 

Apple is opening a market space for competitors with people like me. 

I recommend everybody with interest order and try the AirPods. If they don't retain well send them back for free to apple with a note in the box as I did. 
    calijbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 17
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    Ditto. That's my big complaint about Bluetooth. It *usually* works, but for something like headphones, I want something that ALWAYS works, especially if they're going to charge $180-200
    I have Airpods, while I like them they are not immune to drop out and connection issues. I commute to work (public transportation) for around 1hr and 1/2 (3 hours total a day) also work out at the the gym. Airpods stay in my ear no problem. So far on average I'm get 1-2 connection drops (where I have to go into Bluetooth settings click airpods) and about 1-2 audio pauses (where I have to hit play, or double tap airpod to resume) every morning and evening.  Connection seems to totally drop when my iPhone connects to wifi. No sure what is causing the pauses.  When they work they are really good. But these dropped connections and pauses are annoying, Im not sure if I should be going to get them checked out at the apple store or if this is just the way it is. 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 5 of 17
    peteo said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    I have Airpods, while I like them they are not immune to drop out and connection issues. I commute to work (public transportation) for around 1hr and 1/2 (3 hours total a day) also work out at the the gym. Airpods stay in my ear no problem. So far on average I'm get 1-2 connection drops (where I have to go into Bluetooth settings click airpods) and about 1-2 audio pauses (where I have to hit play, or double tap airpod to resume) every morning and evening.  Connection seems to totally drop when my iPhone connects to wifi. No sure what is causing the pauses.  When they work they are really good. But these dropped connections and pauses are annoying, Im not sure if I should be going to get them checked out at the apple store or if this is just the way it is. 
    Thats not even remotely close to the "way it is".

I've been using them every day for a 10 days, constantly switching back and forth between iPhone 7, iPad Pro, and an iMac...something I never even bothered to do with other BT headsets since it was so laborious. No issues of the kind you describe at all.
    peterhartStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    If you fastened a Tile (https://www.thetileapp.com) to each one you'd have a stylish statement as well as being able to find them again. ;)
    edited January 2017 ppartekimjSnivelywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Earings 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    peteo said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:

Sounds to me like radio frequency interference. People forget that there are actually an increasing number of radio waves competing. Ever walk near your microwave with a cordless phone, and find the connection dropped?

So, I would inspect your spaces and try to eliminate any unneeded wireless broadcasters. Turn off Bluetooth from devices not using it, for example.

It truly is amazing that our wireless devices can navigate the crowded wireless spectrum as well as they do!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    peteo said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:

Sounds to me like radio frequency interference. People forget that there are actually an increasing number of radio waves competing. Ever walk near your microwave with a cordless phone, and find the connection dropped?

So, I would inspect your spaces and try to eliminate any unneeded wireless broadcasters. Turn off Bluetooth from devices not using it, for example.

It truly is amazing that our wireless devices can navigate the crowded wireless spectrum as well as they do!
    Completely agree with this. Granted you can't control signals in public areas (such as on your public transit commute), so it may be easier said than done.

I've only had one instance of "weirdness" with my AirPods in the 10 or so days I've had mine - I was in a small shop where there shouldn't be much interference at all and my left 'Pod cut out entirely for a couple of seconds, came back and then out again, then the right one cut one, then both came back and stayed back. No one else I could see with bluetooth headsets in the shop and 'Pods were both nearly fully charged (90% give or take). Hasn't happened since.

I've noticed though that my right 'Pod drains more quickly than my left. In fact just this morning I was on a 90 minute conference call (by the way, they're FANTASTIC for conference calls) and both had started at 100%. At the end of the call the left was at 38% and the right at 20%. I've also noticed my case battery draining (the "known issue" of the 'Pods being in the case and both 'Pods and case being at full charge) over night by 15-20% with no use. So I wonder if maybe the right 'Pod has some issue and is not only draining faster while in use but also draining while not in use and thus sucking charge from the case...will be taking them into my local Apple store to check on them, but honestly even with that issue these things are flippin' fantastic.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I know a guy who has the Earin M-1s (I think they're M-1s - he bought them through their Kickstarter a little over a year ago). He really likes them, but after watching him use them I notice a few things compared to the AirPods:
    1) The battery life isn't as good - probably because they're smaller with no "stems" so smaller battery
    2) Setup isn't nearly as slick as the AirPods which, while a small thing, is truly great
    3) Charge time in the case is much longer than the AirPods - about 2x longer to charge
    4) Case has a smaller battery as well

I'll say though that the M-1s don't look great, but the picture above of the M-2s actually look very decent. Also wishing the AirPods came in black now...
    peterhart
  • Reply 11 of 17
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    peteo said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:

I've been using them every day for a 10 days, constantly switching back and forth between iPhone 7, iPad Pro, and an iMac...something I never even bothered to do with other BT headsets since it was so laborious. No issues of the kind you describe at all.
    So you couldn't just recommend an appointment to the Genius Bar to try and help someone get their problem sorted out ? Instead the snarky " That's not even remotely close" was the only way you saw fit to comment ?  The cocky defensiveness with some folks on here is just plain silly. Also your last sentence .. are you saying you are having issues, just not the same issues the op is having, or no issues at all ? I wasn't sure what you meant ? 

Personally I have had problems with Bluetooth stability and connectivity with my iPhone 7plus since day one. I gave it a chance to resolve with updates, it hasn't so I have an appointment this weekend to see what is going on.  I have multiple 6s plus' in my house as well as iPad Air 2 that I use with the same devices as my 7plus. They work without issue and my 7plus has problems with these same devices daily.

Stuttering and choppiness when a song starts or switches to the next track, the sound will just stop for no apparent reason even though the music app clearly shows the song still playing. Random disconnects from a device. Music just stops playing on the device and continues audibly playing on my iPhone. 
    entropys
  • Reply 12 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    lkrupp said:
    yeah, multidevice pairing is the killer feature here. use on phone during the day, ipad at bedtime, and watch during morning run -- all without playing the bluetooth pairing game. 
  • Reply 13 of 17
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member
    With the exception that these look a little less silly than Airpods (something that would be mitigated if Airpods came in black) I think I still prefer the Airpods. Another review I read said the sound quality wasn't better and that would be my primary reason. So I see these as really a good alternative.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    peteo said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    Maybe take them to a genius bar for a swap and see if it is still happening with a new pair?  It would be interesting to know.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    kitukitu Posts: 9member
    Speaker impedance is 25 Ohm.

Well, no wired connection to any external amp, where the impedance has any meaning. If that info is from manufacturers side - that's the credibility
  • Reply 16 of 17
    jcs2305 said:
    peteo said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:

So you couldn't just recommend an appointment to the Genius Bar to try and help someone get their problem sorted out ? Instead the snarky " That's not even remotely close" was the only way you saw fit to comment ?  The cocky defensiveness with some folks on here is just plain silly. Also your last sentence .. are you saying you are having issues, just not the same issues the op is having, or no issues at all ? I wasn't sure what you meant ? 

Personally I have had problems with Bluetooth stability and connectivity with my iPhone 7plus since day one. I gave it a chance to resolve with updates, it hasn't so I have an appointment this weekend to see what is going on.  I have multiple 6s plus' in my house as well as iPad Air 2 that I use with the same devices as my 7plus. They work without issue and my 7plus has problems with these same devices daily.

Stuttering and choppiness when a song starts or switches to the next track, the sound will just stop for no apparent reason even though the music app clearly shows the song still playing. Random disconnects from a device. Music just stops playing on the device and continues audibly playing on my iPhone. 
    I've got a 7Plus as well and the only BT issue I've had with it is with connectivity to my car (a 2014 Subaru). After the 10.1 update I found a thread online that lead me to removing the connection with my car (from both the car & the phone) and then recreating the BT connection specifically by using the radio controls, NOT the steering wheel controls (yes, that made a difference for some unexplained reason). Now all is good. I'd say there's definitely something off with your 7Plus so the Genius Bar appointment is a good idea for sure.