Honeywell embraces Apple HomeKit with Lyric Home Security and Control System

Posted:
in General Discussion
The existing Lyric Honeywell home security system will gain HomeKit support in early 2017, thanks to a forthcoming software update, making make it the first-ever pro-installed security system with support for Apple's smart home platform.

The Lyric Home Security and Control System will receive a software upgrade adding HomeKit support within the first three months of 2017, Honeywell announced on Thursday.

The update will be available to both current and future Lyric Security customers. Honeywell claims the Lyric will be the first professionally installed and professionally monitored security system with support for HomeKit.

After the update, trips to Lyric sensors will provide visual and audible notifications to a user's iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Lyric sensors can protect a user's door or window, or detect motion in a room.

In addition, existing professionally monitored security devices can integrate with Lyric Security, allowing the system's central station to quickly contact first responders.

The Lyric Home Security and Control System features a 7-inch touchscreen for monitoring and controlling, and a built-in camera. It's intended for professional installs, but can be purchased separately from Amazon for DIY installs for around $320.

Also this week, Honeywell announced a pair of Lyric cameras, though neither of those accessories appear to support HomeKit. However, other HomeKit-compatible security cameras were announced at CES this week: The D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD and Withings Home Plus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    They should rename CES to HES - HomeKit Electronics Show.

Seems like everyone is introducing HomeKit devices.
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 7
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member

If you follow Apple-focused sites, that's the impression you would get. If you follow tech sites not wholly focused on Apple, you would think that everyone is introducing Alexa-powered devices.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor

As noted above, Alexa support is more prevalent than HomeKit among devices at this year's show. That's largely because of the security chip and licensing fees Apple requires to sell a HomeKit-certified device. However, to your point, smart home devices and the so-called "Internet of Things" are the most common theme at CES 2017.
    watto_cobrapatchythepirateNotsofastlostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    i have a professionally monitored security system at home, i think the main board is a honeywell. it monitors windows, doors, glass break, heat and smoke. i'd like to one day replace it with a HK system and add cameras. tho i heard cameras can't get HK certified...not sure if true 
    edited January 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7

If you follow Apple-focused sites, that's the impression you would get. If you follow tech sites not wholly focused on Apple, you would think that everyone is introducing Alexa-powered devices.

I have seen a lot of Alexa devices. Nonetheless, CES is about Apple. Either companies making products for Apple (HomeKit devices, the numerous major car audio companies having CarPlay receivers, TB storage & adapters for the MBP, iPhone, iPad & Watch accessories - the list is long) or products announced that always get compared to Apple (any new smartphone, tablet, notebook or smart watch ).

Apple is the ever-present elephant in the room.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    i have a professionally monitored security system at home, i think the main board is a honeywell. it monitors windows, doors, glass break, heat and smoke. i'd like to one day replace it with a HK system and add cameras. tho i heard cameras can't get HK certified...not sure if true 
    Many companies, such as Canary, Ring, August, etc., have announced HK enabled security cameras, but it's unclear what the status of their certification is.

I'm glad that Apple has a rigorous certification process.  Can you imagine giving control over all of the connected items in your home to all of these companies that don't emphasize security and privacy the way Apple does.  Amazon is rushing out to grab mindshare, but folks may regret later that their devices are easily hacked as we have seen withe IofT culture thus far.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/20/ios-10-homekit-camera-doorbell-august-canary-withings-d-link-more/
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Guys please help me understand. What kind of commands will HomeKit allow? Arm and disarm.